MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Menco Tue May 05, 2020 4:12 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Menco wrote:
How integrated is your 2500 with Logic?
Not much. I do everything inside the 2500 as much as possible. Then I open Logic with the MPC Software in plugin mode and open my MPC project in there. Record what I have, sometimes it's a loop that I will built upon in Logic and arrange. Sometimes it's a whole beat and will only do mixing inside Logic.

How stable is Software inside of Logic for you? Any hiccups?[/quote]

Zero problems til now. But I only track out what I have and want to continue working with. Then I shut down the software and basically work only with Logic from that point on.
By CharlesRandolph Wed May 06, 2020 4:59 am
Menco wrote:Zero problems til now. But I only track out what I have and want to continue working with. Then I shut down the software and basically work only with Logic from that point on.

Are you using the 2500 to trigger sound in Logic?
By Menco Wed May 06, 2020 9:58 am
No, don’t like to use the MPC to control other sequencers. Use a MPK Mini and Presonus Faderport for transport controls.
By CharlesRandolph Wed May 06, 2020 10:25 am
Menco wrote:No, don’t like to use the MPC to control other sequencers. Use a MPK Mini and Presonus Faderport for transport controls.

What happens when you need to fly in audio from the MPC 2500?
By Menco Wed May 06, 2020 10:52 am
That almost never happens. What I like about the older gear is the lack of flexibility in certain areas. With the Live or building the basic backbone in a DAW I always have problems with making final decissions, because I can go every way at any moment in the process. With focusing on improving my workflow on the 2500 I also trained myself to make final decissions to keep the processes moving, resulting me being so much more productive lately. Also forces me to really think which direction I want to go before making a hard decission. So once my project is in Logic I have a very clear picture of what I want to add and what not.
In a very rare ocassion if want to reflip my loop for example, I grab the MPC Studio I have purely for that purpose. Except for naming files I have full control over the MPC Software from the Studio.
By CharlesRandolph Wed May 06, 2020 11:42 am
Menco wrote:That almost never happens. What I like about the older gear is the lack of flexibility in certain areas. With the Live or building the basic backbone in a DAW I always have problems with making final decissions, because I can go every way at any moment in the process. With focusing on improving my workflow on the 2500 I also trained myself to make final decissions to keep the processes moving, resulting me being so much more productive lately. Also forces me to really think which direction I want to go before making a hard decission. So once my project is in Logic I have a very clear picture of what I want to add and what not.
In a very rare ocassion if want to reflip my loop for example, I grab the MPC Studio I have purely for that purpose. Except for naming files I have full control over the MPC Software from the Studio.

That is a good workflow when working solo, however when working with other artist, ideas tend to evolve. Sometimes the vibe is there, but the key needs to be change, tempo altered, time signature, arrangement, or other ideas can reshape the music.

I always leave room, so inspirations has a place to enter. It's definitely important to make decision, but I find it's equally as important to leave things open for change and to know when to get out way.

Forget you had the MPC STUDIO. :lol:
By Menco Wed May 06, 2020 12:52 pm
I am not there yet, to work with other artists. But when I will, I’ll definitely keep your advice in mind.

Haha, sometimes I also forget I have the Studio :lol:
By CharlesRandolph Wed May 06, 2020 2:52 pm
Menco wrote:I am not there yet, to work with other artists. But when I will, I’ll definitely keep your advice in mind.

Haha, sometimes I also forget I have the Studio :lol:

I've heard your music, and you're ready. Find a local artist that you like and get busy. This is the difference between a beat maker (hiphop musician) and a music producers.
By Menco Wed May 06, 2020 6:00 pm
Thanx. Oppertunity will arise when the time is right.
I do/ done beats for some amateur rappers. Never mind to go back and spend the day adjusting, resequencing, re-arranging and so on.
By CharlesRandolph Wed May 06, 2020 7:08 pm
Menco wrote:Thanx. Oppertunity will arise when the time is right. I do/ done beats for some amateur rappers. Never mind to go back and spend the day adjusting, resequencing, re-arranging and so on.

Yeah, that's the thing about opportunity, It's usually right under our nose and it never expose itself. Be hunter my man, be the hunter. :nod:
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Wed May 06, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lampdog Wed May 06, 2020 7:24 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:I've heard your music, and you're ready.

Menco BEEN ready.
By Menco Thu May 07, 2020 10:57 am
Lampdog wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:I've heard your music, and you're ready.

Menco BEEN ready.

8)
By bronxred Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:48 pm
EnochLight wrote:Whenever I use my MPC Live with Reason, I just use it in controller mode but do all of my work on the MPC via the TUI, because I absolutely 100% loath the MPC (desktop) Software and refuse to use it, aside from loading an instance up as a plugin.

I’m sure you could try the same approach in Logic, or sync it like Monotremata.

When you load up a VST instance of MPC Beats, are you then working with project files you've created on your Live hardware? I got a Live 2 in January but haven't been able to 'sync' its contents (beats and samples I've made there) with MPC Beats on my Mac, so I can finish songs in Reason.

I'd like to be able to keep refining beats on the Live 2 (I too have fallen in love with the quirky but super powerful touch-based hardware interface) and not use it in standalone mode, which requires more audio routing, or have to export stems every time I update my beats.

Any ideas? How do you do it? Thanks to all in this forum. I've been reading, but this is my first post. :-D