MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By idk973 Sun May 03, 2020 2:55 pm
I'm in 2.7.2 and all the automations like xy or mute are very buggy during transitions between sequences ( even if they are disabled from a sequence to another)
what is the more stable version of the OS when it comes to automation ?
By idk973 Mon May 04, 2020 11:14 am
I mean, for exemple, you make a lpfilter on the track beat of your intro sequence using the xy, you write the automation then you go in song mode or in nextseq mode to the chorus sequence and the lpfilter still processing even if you don't touch the XY.
By QuentinB Mon May 04, 2020 2:51 pm
bees80 wrote:Or just do the automations when you have all your sequences converted via song to a big sequence..

This works ^ But I also pointed out how to work around this issue in another thread as well.

"For anyone else that is recording automation on an insert, if you record automation for it in one sequence, you'll have to have automation tracks in other sequences that the program/plugin exists set to whatever value you want in order for the recorded automation in the previous sequence to not affect the next. This is just what I notice when working from sequence to sequence, if you have them queued up to play one after the other it doesn't seem to be an issue."

Easiest way to do this is after recording your automation on the intro, in the next sequence, use step automation on just one of the steps set to the max velocity. that takes care of it.
By idk973 Mon May 04, 2020 7:52 pm
NearTao wrote:Perform new automation on the next track? Have the intro end where you want the automation to be for the next track?

I'm not sure why you think this is buggy. This helps prevent filters from bouncing all over the place...

The point is if you dont hold the xy effects, logically the effect is not enabled. But my next sequence got lowpassed without touching the xy matrix.
By QuentinB Mon May 04, 2020 10:34 pm
idk973 wrote:
NearTao wrote:Perform new automation on the next track? Have the intro end where you want the automation to be for the next track?

I'm not sure why you think this is buggy. This helps prevent filters from bouncing all over the place...

The point is if you dont hold the xy effects, logically the effect is not enabled. But my next sequence got lowpassed without touching the xy matrix.

Technically, yes, but if you had already written automation in one of those sequences, that issue comes up. If there was no automation on that program/key group/track, I don't believe that would be happening.

However, if there is no automation, the lowpass filter is just active. If I'm reading things correctly.
By idk973 Tue May 05, 2020 3:22 am
"However, if there is no automation, the lowpass filter is just active. If I'm reading things correctly."

technicaly yes, but to avoid that i've disabled the lp filter at the end of the "lowpassed" sequence beat.
and it still here in my next sequence. maybe i'm doing something wrong, bur several times, i'm struggle with mute and solo automations which seems to activate and desactivate in pure anarchy
By QuentinB Tue May 05, 2020 5:54 am
idk973 wrote:"However, if there is no automation, the lowpass filter is just active. If I'm reading things correctly."

technicaly yes, but to avoid that i've disabled the lp filter at the end of the "lowpassed" sequence beat.
and it still here in my next sequence. maybe i'm doing something wrong, bur several times, i'm struggle with mute and solo automations which seems to activate and desactivate in pure anarchy

Disabling it at the end of the lowpassed sequence implies there’s automation to disable that filter, no? If so then it’s exactly as we’ve described.

A quick and easy work around is delete that filter. Bounce that sequence and bring it back in as an audio track.

Mute everything in that sequence except for the audio track.

Put the lp filter on the audio track.
By Lampdog Tue May 05, 2020 7:37 am
An automation will continue on if you don’t give it direction. It doesn’t give a **** about the next sequence UNLESS you tell it to do something different at the VERY beginning of the sequence like QuentinB said.

If an automation value (1-127) ends at 100 it will continue in the next sequence at 100 unless you tell it otherwise. Just because it’s a different sequence doesn’t mean it resets automagically. You need to tell it to reset at 127 (max value) or wherever you want it at.

If you stop your sequencer, well that value is right where it was last at. You’ll hear it when you play another sequence, volume will be low or mute will still be active, filtering will still be there and you’ll be wondering wtf.

Understanding List Edit is a damn good skill to have (same as understanding step edit/event edit in older/other samplers).