MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.

MPC 2.8 worth the wait?

78%
6%
16%
By CharlesRandolph Mon May 25, 2020 11:50 am
NearTao wrote:Easy... create a Youtube channel about how to make LoFi the way Dilla did it... without EQ.

Why, I rather make a Youtube Channel about how to make LoFi the way Charles Randolph does it. :lol:
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Mon May 25, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Danoc Mon May 25, 2020 11:50 am
I will keep it short. Let Akai keep up this new found behavior and see what happens.

NearTao wrote:Some folks here are also approaching this from their personal perspective of right and wrong, not how Akai sees it.

The unwanted changes from 2.7.2 to 2.8 are being discussed as bugs, though I'd personally talk about it as a regression.

Regardless what you call it though, it is *possible* (though unlikely) that Akai sees this as the new proper behavior, and that previous versions had the wrong behavior. If Akai sees this as the proper behavior while we see it as a bug or regression... it is much less likely that it will be fixed since it could be defined as the new standard.

To the folks out there upset about some of the changes... my suggestion is to check the docs, and see what they say is the proper operations... and file bugs against what Akai has actually written... but that sounds like a lot of work...
By Danoc Mon May 25, 2020 11:53 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:Why, I rather make a Youtube Channel about how to make LoFi the way Charles Randolph does it. :lol:

:shock: Oh snapz that's your new handle:

"CHARLESRANDOLPH DID IT" :lol: dope!
By CharlesRandolph Mon May 25, 2020 11:54 am
NearTao wrote:Some folks here are also approaching this from their personal perspective of right and wrong, not how Akai sees it.

The unwanted changes from 2.7.2 to 2.8 are being discussed as bugs, though I'd personally talk about it as a regression.

Regardless what you call it though, it is *possible* (though unlikely) that Akai sees this as the new proper behavior, and that previous versions had the wrong behavior. If Akai sees this as the proper behavior while we see it as a bug or regression... it is much less likely that it will be fixed since it could be defined as the new standard.

To the folks out there upset about some of the changes... my suggestion is to check the docs, and see what they say is the proper operations... and file bugs against what Akai has actually written... but that sounds like a lot of work...

Many times the dev need to read what the user are doing, and learn to leave things alone.
By Danoc Mon May 25, 2020 12:19 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Many times the dev need to read what the user are doing, and learn to leave things alone.

BAMMMMMM! Wise words were written!
By NearTao Mon May 25, 2020 12:23 pm
Danoc wrote:I will keep it short. Let Akai keep up this new found behavior and see what happens.

Oh I agree... but I've also worked in many software companies, so I know how these things go off the rails sometimes.
By Danoc Mon May 25, 2020 12:27 pm
NearTao wrote:Oh I agree... but I've also worked in many software companies, so I know how these things go off the rails sometimes.

That's cool. You got to see first hand. I remember CharlesRandolph said Akai should hire me to do drum loops. I didn't say nothing. But now l know l wouldn't want to work or do anything with Akai. :-D :smoker:
By CharlesRandolph Mon May 25, 2020 3:09 pm
NearTao wrote:Oh I agree... but I've also worked in many software companies, so I know how these things go off the rails sometimes.

You work in software? Can you write a windows 10 driver for the MPC 4000?
By NearTao Mon May 25, 2020 3:27 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:

You work in software? Can you write a windows 10 driver for the MPC 4000?

Short answer... No...

I don't have a 4k in my possession, and I don't really think there's much monetary reason. For fun, I'd consider it... but again... I don't have one... so it's kind of a non starter.

Wasn't it mostly (if not all) SysEx under the hood, over USB. I looked at what it was doing years ago and it didn't look terribly complicated. Several careers ago I used to be into kernel level debugging with SoftICE and a second display to dump memory and execution paths... but I am rusty as hell at that stuff these days.

If I wanted to hack on something I'd probably go check out what that dude was doing a while back with linux under the hood of the MPC Live/X. I think he got SSH working over wireless, and that'd *really* open up possibilities for somebody who wanted to tinker around.

EDIT: Well you got me to find this bookmark and think about playing around... https://niklasnisbeth.gitlab.io/mpc-internals/
By CharlesRandolph Mon May 25, 2020 3:55 pm
NearTao wrote:
Short answer... No...

I don't have a 4k in my possession, and I don't really think there's much monetary reason. For fun, I'd consider it... but again... I don't have one... so it's kind of a non starter.

Wasn't it mostly (if not all) SysEx under the hood, over USB. I looked at what it was doing years ago and it didn't look terribly complicated. Several careers ago I used to be into kernel level debugging with SoftICE and a second display to dump memory and execution paths... but I am rusty as hell at that stuff these days.

If I wanted to hack on something I'd probably go check out what that dude was doing a while back with linux under the hood of the MPC Live/X. I think he got SSH working over wireless, and that'd *really* open up possibilities for somebody who wanted to tinker around.

EDIT: Well you got me to find this bookmark and think about playing around... https://niklasnisbeth.gitlab.io/mpc-internals/

I understand it and it never hurts to ask. Guess I'll stick to Oracle VM VirtualBox and Windows XP. :nod: Also I asked him and he said no as well. Kind of crazy that JJ OS did an entire free OS. Time to contact him, maybe he could help the community.
By NearTao Mon May 25, 2020 4:20 pm
Maybe some day I'll pick up a 4k. I almost bit the bullet in December/January... but the dude wanted too much and I felt (and could be wrong) that the guy was trying to drive up the price. I'm hoping he got the cash he was looking for... but it was a bit too pricey for me.
By Eyalc Mon May 25, 2020 5:56 pm
It might be a while now though - the prices of 4000s has skyrocketed lately. There's one on eBay right now for $6k. Not saying that's a realistic price, just saying last year that kind of silly asking price would have never been seen. Several out there now for $1500+, which wasn't happening either. I've been passively considering buying one, if anything because it's the only MPC built on the Z-engine. But not for those prices.

btw, where's danoc when you need him??? New single out - called Another Day. Charting in Asia, Australia, Brazil and across the UK. LOL. C'mon Danoc, you KNEW it was coming. I know, I know - shameless self-promotion. As always Lamp, if I need to clean it up let me know.
By CharlesRandolph Mon May 25, 2020 6:55 pm
Eyalc wrote:It might be a while now though - the prices of 4000s has skyrocketed lately. There's one on eBay right now for $6k. Not saying that's a realistic price, just saying last year that kind of silly asking price would have never been seen. Several out there now for $1500+, which wasn't happening either. I've been passively considering buying one, if anything because it's the only MPC built on the Z-engine. But not for those prices.

btw, where's danoc when you need him??? New single out - called Another Day. Charting in Asia, Australia, Brazil and across the UK. LOL. C'mon Danoc, you KNEW it was coming. I know, I know - shameless self-promotion. As always Lamp, if I need to clean it up let me know.

People neglected the MPC 4000, now the prices are climbing for no good reason. :lol: The ADAT card is $600 the 8 out digital card is $300. I just bought a battery for 15 inch dell and flashed it with WINDOW XP Pro. Optimized it and it's now only running Wavelab and Akai Ak Sys for my 4000's. :lol:
By Monotremata Mon May 25, 2020 7:56 pm
People are already trying to get ridiculous $1000 prices for the Live hah. If I see a 4K for the right price Im gonna grab one just to have one. Totally happy with the Live but the 4K is the 4K, I gotta get one.

I might have noticed a new 'feature' in 2.8 but Im not sure if its me being a stoner or not.. When you go into Program Edit, dont the pads still light up when you play? When Im in Program Edit the pads are dead. No Christmas tree lights at all, notes are still playing though. I could've sworn it still lit up in Program Edit but maybe I wasn't paying attention?