MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Tue May 26, 2020 4:02 pm
bees80 wrote:
Yeah perhaps i have to clarify that i talk in the way of always having a studio at my home. So my home my rules. Also, i'm not a professional musician or anything...

But i don't see any bad if someone's having a beer or a smoke in the stu. Also.. I think a lot of known producers and rappers also do this in the studio. How about those guys then? They are not ''pro''?

(not attacking! Just a healthy discussion and question)

If they are working at home, I'm sure many do. But not when working with others, that's a no no. If I'm paying a session musician $100 USD a hour with 3 hour minimum to record, they better be on time, sober, and ready to go. :nod:

This really comes back to the having less distractions and capturing the moment. Because that's what we're really doing. I forget about: No Candles, Incenses, Room fresher, loud @SS computer fans, and be careful what smartphone they bring in the place. (Some services cause the speaker to buzz when they ring.) :lol:

Ooh yeah, no attack. This is good!
By CharlesRandolph Tue May 26, 2020 4:12 pm
Danoc wrote:Scott Storch comes to mind. He is a chain smoker l couldn't be around him. Hella talented but dam!

Chain smokers kill the creative vibe. They're always going in and out, in and out. That's what the MPC LIVE 2 is for. Go outside, smoke, make some music, export it to an USB key and keep your Marlboro, Camel, Newport, Full Flavor Smokey the Bear ass outside.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Tue May 26, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By NearTao Tue May 26, 2020 4:15 pm
I offered to help a chain smoker with cats clean out his gigging gear... after finishing his Triton Extreme... I just couldn't offer to help with any of his other gear. The amount of ash, soot, fur, and beer stuck inside... woof. It was amazing how well it worked, but it was beyond wiping stuff off, that thing needed a young priest and an old priest to expel the spirits.
By bees80 Tue May 26, 2020 4:21 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
bees80 wrote:
Yeah perhaps i have to clarify that i talk in the way of always having a studio at my home. So my home my rules. Also, i'm not a professional musician or anything...

But i don't see any bad if someone's having a beer or a smoke in the stu. Also.. I think a lot of known producers and rappers also do this in the studio. How about those guys then? They are not ''pro''?

(not attacking! Just a healthy discussion and question)

If they are working at home, I'm sure many do. But not when working with others, that's a no no. If I'm paying a session musician $100 USD a hour with 3 hour minimum to record, they better be on time, sober, and ready to go. :nod:

This really comes back to the having less distractions and capturing the moment. Because that's what we're really doing. I forget about: No Candles, Incenses, Room fresher, loud @SS computer fans, and be careful what smartphone they bring in the place. (Some services cause the speaker to buzz when they ring.) :lol:

Ooh yeah, no attack. This is good!

For sure, if you pay for it or it's your house, it's your rules! But i guess a lot of those guys always have their own studio too..

I also can't imagine Otis Jackson Jr going into any studio if he can't smoke. :lol:
By Danoc Tue May 26, 2020 5:44 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Chain smokers kill the creative vibe. They're always going in and out, in and out. That's what the MPC LIVE 2 is for. Go outside, smoke, make some music, export it to an USB key and keep your Marlboro, Camel, Newport, Full Flavor Smokey the Bear ass outside.

Dam lol :lol:
By Danoc Tue May 26, 2020 5:46 pm
NearTao wrote:I offered to help a chain smoker with cats clean out his gigging gear... after finishing his Triton Extreme... I just couldn't offer to help with any of his other gear. The amount of ash, soot, fur, and beer stuck inside... woof. It was amazing how well it worked, but it was beyond wiping stuff off,

that thing needed a young priest and an old priest to expel the spirits

:lol: OMG
By Unreallystic Tue May 26, 2020 8:46 pm
I'm kind of "eh" on the DAW bashing here. It's real easy to blame the DAWs, hell I do at times, for feeling like they are taking you away from the music, but that's just an excuse. Ableton doesn't take you any further from making the music as the X. The difference is just you guys liking the workflow more (which is fine - that's not a shot). DAWs are only clunky when not setup with Templates or when the user frankly hasn't learned the DAW to the same extent. The MPCs are easier to wrap your heads around, but if you know Ableton, then you can get around just as fast with the a mouse or the Push as you can the MPC. With a DAW, you can do more than you can do with an X, and that depth is usually not needed - so it seems like a distraction. But as someone who practices live looping - and started with Ableton, and I'm NOT a pro, I don't feel like the DAW is any less clunky in most regards than a MPC. I can easily record in from one of my synths and go from there, or record in from some vinyl and chop it the exact same way as the MPC. Its just a steeper learning curve becayse you "can" do more, and seems more clunky because most people don't invest the time they should into the setup.

With all that said, yeah, I like that my MPC takes me away from the computer. It is still a screen, but the tactileness of it just feels more refreshing, and makes it feel better for staying in the lane of making music.
- Unreall
By NearTao Tue May 26, 2020 11:09 pm
About every ten years I tend to swing from software to hardware and back.

The biggest block for me with software is actually the options. If you are not disciplined, you can spend hours digging through loop libraries, synth patches... whatever... it does go deep, and it can run wild.

At the end of the day, I've rocked a lot of software, and I've rocked a lot of hardware... and I've just settled into a more DAWless environment more because it is less maintenance for me. Do I still enjoy jamming with Ableton, absolutely... is Reason still fun... sure thing... but for me I don't care to go back to the days I had several DAWs, mountains of synths, and a whole lot of updates, upgrades etc... going on.
By Danoc Wed May 27, 2020 12:32 am
:shock: Dam you sound like CharlesRandolph.

Unreallystic wrote:I'm kind of "eh" on the DAW bashing here. It's real easy to blame the DAWs, hell I do at times, for feeling like they are taking you away from the music, but that's just an excuse. Ableton doesn't take you any further from making the music as the X. The difference is just you guys liking the workflow more (which is fine - that's not a shot). DAWs are only clunky when not setup with Templates or when the user frankly hasn't learned the DAW to the same extent. The MPCs are easier to wrap your heads around, but if you know Ableton, then you can get around just as fast with the a mouse or the Push as you can the MPC. With a DAW, you can do more than you can do with an X, and that depth is usually not needed - so it seems like a distraction. But as someone who practices live looping - and started with Ableton, and I'm NOT a pro, I don't feel like the DAW is any less clunky in most regards than a MPC. I can easily record in from one of my synths and go from there, or record in from some vinyl and chop it the exact same way as the MPC. Its just a steeper learning curve becayse you "can" do more, and seems more clunky because most people don't invest the time they should into the setup.

With all that said, yeah, I like that my MPC takes me away from the computer. It is still a screen, but the tactileness of it just feels more refreshing, and makes it feel better for staying in the lane of making music.
- Unreall
By Danoc Wed May 27, 2020 12:43 am
For ME l made the choice to rockout on the Daw setup. Its fun to me. I have tons of sounds for different situations cause you never know and you don't want to miss out on an opportunity. With ME l need PURE POWER when l produce. Ive always been that way. I love being ITB and never going to leave that.

The way Akai is going doesn't provide me with power. Anything someone does on the MPCs l can do it also in less time. Like Unreal said you gotta know your DAW. I have 2 that's what makes it fun. I use the tools that help me achieve my goal.

I have the talent the DAWs enhance my position and take my talent to the next level. I feel confident to get things done and that's good.

NearTao wrote:About every ten years I tend to swing from software to hardware and back.

The biggest block for me with software is actually the options. If you are not disciplined, you can spend hours digging through loop libraries, synth patches... whatever... it does go deep, and it can run wild.

At the end of the day, I've rocked a lot of software, and I've rocked a lot of hardware... and I've just settled into a more DAWless environment more because it is less maintenance for me. Do I still enjoy jamming with Ableton, absolutely... is Reason still fun... sure thing... but for me I don't care to go back to the days I had several DAWs, mountains of synths, and a whole lot of updates, upgrades etc... going on.
By Eyalc Wed May 27, 2020 1:14 am
I use both. Don’t really have a preference. I‘m staring at a screen either way. I’m just as quick in both environments. The depth of a DAW is awesome though.

My use of each is based on what I want to do, or need to do. The % of MPC on a song goes from 0% - 50%, because it’s seriously limited IMO for what I do.
By Fre$hBreath Wed May 27, 2020 5:45 am
Unreallystic wrote:I'm kind of "eh" on the DAW bashing here. It's real easy to blame the DAWs, hell I do at times, for feeling like they are taking you away from the music, but that's just an excuse. Ableton doesn't take you any further from making the music as the X. The difference is just you guys liking the workflow more (which is fine - that's not a shot). DAWs are only clunky when not setup with Templates or when the user frankly hasn't learned the DAW to the same extent. The MPCs are easier to wrap your heads around, but if you know Ableton, then you can get around just as fast with the a mouse or the Push as you can the MPC. With a DAW, you can do more than you can do with an X, and that depth is usually not needed - so it seems like a distraction. But as someone who practices live looping - and started with Ableton, and I'm NOT a pro, I don't feel like the DAW is any less clunky in most regards than a MPC. I can easily record in from one of my synths and go from there, or record in from some vinyl and chop it the exact same way as the MPC. Its just a steeper learning curve becayse you "can" do more, and seems more clunky because most people don't invest the time they should into the setup.

- Unreall

Who is bashing DAWs?

Who is making excuses?

Who said anything about not setting up templates or learning the DAWs they own?

I don't want to assume, but it seems like you're taking my post and this discussion personal.

I said what I said as simple and as clear as I could, if you don't understand, that's on you...