MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Fre$hBreath Mon May 25, 2020 3:25 am
...the less I care for my DAWs

Logic, Studio One, FL Studio, Ableton Live, LUNA, and Reason are cool and all, but I find just using my MPC X with my collection of synthesizers is all I need to make music.

The Reason Rack Plugin has made the DAW portion useless to me, I'm not excited for Logic's new sampling and clip launch features, and Ableton Live has always been extremely overrated to me, and I'm completely over FL Studio, none of these DAWs compare to the workflow of the MPC X to me.

There's no reaching for a mouse in most cases, I can easily access what I want straight from my MPC X and just focus on playing and programming without having to look at my computer screens all the time.

As someone who started making music in the '80s long before the DAW came along, and then became a prisoner of the DAW for 20 years, I finally feel free and strangely enough I notice this is becoming evident in the new music I'm creating.

I'm still creating beats, but they are more musical and humanistic rather than robotic and computerized. I'm focusing more on performing my musical parts rather than laying them because I'm listening more to the MPC X's metronome rather than watching the computer screen.

The kids today call it DAWless which always makes me laugh because there was no such thing as the DAW in the '80s when I made my first records, to me this is just creating music to me, the way it should be.

I don't know about you guys, but I love my MPC X and it's been a lot more fun and easier since 2.8 came along. I'm happy with the MPC X workflow, just happy...
By EnochLight Mon May 25, 2020 6:02 am
Fre$hBreath wrote:...the less I care for my DAWs

Logic, Studio One, FL Studio, Ableton Live, LUNA, and Reason are cool and all, but I find just using my MPC X with my collection of synthesizers is all I need to make music.

The Reason Rack Plugin has made the DAW portion useless to me, I'm not excited for Logic's new sampling and clip launch features, and Ableton Live has always been extremely overrated to me, and I'm completely over FL Studio, none of these DAWs compare to the workflow of the MPC X to me.

There's no reaching for a mouse in most cases, I can easily access what I want straight from my MPC X and just focus on playing and programming without having to look at my computer screens all the time.

As someone who started making music in the '80s long before the DAW came along, and then became a prisoner of the DAW for 20 years, I finally feel free and strangely enough I notice this is becoming evident in the new music I'm creating.

I'm still creating beats, but they are more musical and humanistic rather than robotic and computerized. I'm focusing more on performing my musical parts rather than laying them because I'm listening more to the MPC X's metronome rather than watching the computer screen.

The kids today call it DAWless which always makes me laugh because there was no such thing as the DAW in the '80s when I made my first records, to me this is just creating music to me, the way it should be.

I don't know about you guys, but I love my MPC X and it's been a lot more fun and easier since 2.8 came along. I'm happy with the MPC X workflow, just happy...

I feel you. My MPC Live 2 invites a similar environment - it's nice to be back in a standalone hardware workstation ecosystem. Been staring at DAW's for 20 years as well - it gets old.
By Dmcghee Mon May 25, 2020 9:59 am
Fre$hBreath wrote:...the less I care for my DAWs

I have to agree with you 100%. Those that don't own one of the current MPCs and not using hardware synths and a mixer digital or analog it is hard to explain how awesome these MPCs have become. I current have a MPC 60ll that I sync to midi clock with MPC X for 12 bit drums and samples and a nice collection of hardware synths and samplers. I have a MPC4000 since it was released which I don't use anymore because of the MPC X. 2.8 is dope. Akai apparently isn't done, I can only imagine what features will be added to 2.9 and 3.0 in future releases. It gets better and better.
By Menco Mon May 25, 2020 11:31 am
*trolling mode on

The X/ Live is just a DAW in a box.

*trolling mode off

Glad you found something that really makes you want to make music.
By Lampdog Mon May 25, 2020 12:37 pm
Dmcghee wrote: I have a MPC4000.......which I don't use anymore because of the MPC X. 2.8.....

Same. I don’t use my 4k anymore since X. I feel guilty abandoning it...
By Lampdog Mon May 25, 2020 1:43 pm
4k’s optical cable is now chilling on the floor.

X: “da ‘fuq do I do with that?”
By NearTao Mon May 25, 2020 1:57 pm
Lampdog wrote:4k’s optical cable is now chilling on the floor.

X: “da ‘fuq do I do with that?”

I do wish that at least the X had an optical... or heck digital... input. The noise floor is usually low enough... but it'd help with recording in from some of this older gear. Guess I'm stuck with the LoFi's on the X. And to think... digital audio used to be the pinnacle of recording technology. New today, retro tomorrow.
By CharlesRandolph Mon May 25, 2020 2:51 pm
NearTao wrote:
I do wish that at least the X had an optical... or heck digital... input. The noise floor is usually low enough... but it'd help with recording in from some of this older gear. Guess I'm stuck with the LoFi's on the X. And to think... digital audio used to be the pinnacle of recording technology. New today, retro tomorrow.

Digital is still the pinnacle, but it's about Audio Over IP.
By EnochLight Mon May 25, 2020 7:13 pm
Menco wrote:*trolling mode on

The X/ Live is just a DAW in a box.

*trolling mode off

To be fair, by your logic the Ensoniq ASR-10 was a "DAW in a box" 28 years ago, as were a plethora of other workstations at the time. :wink:

But I think you know what @Fre$hBreath meant. It's just nice to not be tethered to your computer to produce, especially if you stare at computer screens all day when you're not in producing mode. 8)
By CharlesRandolph Mon May 25, 2020 7:39 pm
EnochLight wrote:To be fair, by your logic the Ensoniq ASR-10 was a "DAW in a box" 28 years ago, as were a plethora of other workstations at the time. :wink:

But I think you know what @Fre$hBreath meant. It's just nice to not be tethered to your computer to produce, especially if you stare at computer screens all day when you're not in producing mode. 8)

Being tethered to a computer and staring a computer screen is nothing more than an excuse. If you're using an MPC, you're staring at computer screen. The problem is not the computer, it's the person. Like you said, when you're not in producing mode. That's an issue with you.

Yes the Ensoniq ASR-10 is a "DAW in a box" it's a Digital Audio Workstation. It works with digital files, where you can cut, copy, add effects, delete, reverse, etc etc all within the digital domain.
By EnochLight Tue May 26, 2020 3:43 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:Being tethered to a computer and staring a computer screen is nothing more than an excuse. If you're using an MPC, you're staring at computer screen. The problem is not the computer, it's the person. Like you said, when you're not in producing mode. That's an issue with you.

:roll:

You seem to be confused. By your logic, staring at a microwave display is the same as staring at a computer screen. You know very well what I meant, and you know very well what Fresh meant. So stop trying to pretend, Charlie. It’s sad. :nod:

And no - the issue isn’t me or Fresh or anyone else that finds it more inspiring to work away from a computer DAW. But you know that already.

CharlesRandolph wrote:Yes the Ensoniq ASR-10 is a "DAW in a box" it's a Digital Audio Workstation. It works with digital files, where you can cut, copy, add effects, delete, reverse, etc etc all within the digital domain.

That’s adorable.

:popcorn:
By CharlesRandolph Tue May 26, 2020 4:09 am
EnochLight wrote: :roll:

You seem to be confused. By your logic, staring at a microwave display is the same as staring at a computer screen.

Do you make music using a microwave? If yes, Please post up what you've created on it. :nod:

EnochLight wrote:You know very well what I meant, and you know very well what Fresh meant. So stop trying to pretend, Charlie. It’s sad. :nod:

And no - the issue isn’t me or Fresh or anyone else that finds it more inspiring to work away from a computer DAW. But you know that already.

It's all about sitting down and making it happen.

Finds it more inspiring to work away from a computer DAW
= EXCUSES. I don't care if it's software daw, mpc, sp1200, guitar, toy piano, two spoons and a chop stick. Put in the work and make music.

So you have the MPC LIVE 2 right? Please share with us what you've created on it, with all your gained inspiration. :smoker:
By Danoc Tue May 26, 2020 4:34 am
I hear what you're saying.

For ME, l love working my DAW on the computer rather than staring at a 7 inch screen. That's why l only did drums on the live. It would take me less than 5 minutes on the live. Then they would go to my DAW any way. :wink:

1. I get to sit straight up and look into a wide 32 inch screen where l can see everything. Though l had the Live on tilt l still leaned over somewhat.
2. The advantage of using my mouse to move and edit things quickly is inspring with no worries. I can arrange nicely and be cinfident at what lm doing.
3. I use 2 DAWs, Reason 11 and S1v4. From automation to markers to handling as many audio tracks l can is sweet.
4. The power my desk top spits out is incredible. Over 4 cores, Win 10 OS, 28 gigs ram optional 256 Gigs ram :) 4.00Ghz bus speed etc can't be matched by the MPCs.
5. I work faster that's important.
6. Can mix correctly in my DAW.
The list goes on.

Conclusion, l'd rather work with the computer and looking at a screen. Others do also especially those that want to work with the MPC software but can't because it's not up to par.
I use to think l wamted to be untethered from the computer but l was wrong.
Tjere are those that like to work without a computer and that's fine.
At the end its about your talent abd what you put out.
CharlesRandolph wrote:Being tethered to a computer and staring a computer screen is nothing more than an excuse. If you're using an MPC, you're staring at computer screen. The problem is not the computer, it's the person. Like you said, when you're not in producing mode. That's an issue with you.

Yes the Ensoniq ASR-10 is a "DAW in a box" it's a Digital Audio Workstation. It works with digital files, where you can cut, copy, add effects, delete, reverse, etc etc all within the digital domain.