MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By JeriKo Jackson Mon May 25, 2020 10:25 am
Is this a bug? This is a workflow obstacle and I hope it's not the intended behavior going forward.

I can live with xy no longer latching when out of xy mode. I accept that the live no longer recognizes external sound cards eliminating standalone audio over USB. Those seem to be code streamlining. I liked that functionality and behavior but I get it.

This new track mute behavior is wack. You cannot mute recorded events and audition new ideas on the same track! :WTF:
By Danoc Mon May 25, 2020 11:03 am
You know what l noticed is the automation tab is on read and write. It use to have off. But l ain't worried. Let the nrw owner deal with that crap
By Rcmusic35 Mon May 25, 2020 5:36 pm
JeriKo Jackson wrote:Is this a bug? This is a workflow obstacle and I hope it's not the intended behavior going forward.

I can live with xy no longer latching when out of xy mode. I accept that the live no longer recognizes external sound cards eliminating standalone audio over USB. Those seem to be code streamlining. I liked that functionality and behavior but I get it.

This new track mute behavior is wack. You cannot mute recorded events and audition new ideas on the same track! :WTF:

I hope too they will bring the previous behavior back.

for now, here's the workaround: (some work to do):

workaround: You just have to create another midi track (you may use midi track at the top of list (above 100??) to avoid to see them). Use the exact same midi program, midi port, midi channel, program change etc etc. Of course you don't need to copy the midi notes. Now link the original track to the new one with the new SEND TO function in the track inspector. You can mute the original track and still play the other one you just setup since they are linked. Could make it as a temporary solution. You will need 2 tracks per midi programs....
By eLuSiVeMiTe Mon May 25, 2020 10:47 pm
JeriKo Jackson wrote:Is this a bug? This is a workflow obstacle and I hope it's not the intended behavior going forward.

Yup noticed the same. Used to mute a track then jam along on the muted pads.
By CharlesRandolph Mon May 25, 2020 11:34 pm
Rcmusic35 wrote:[

I hope too they will bring the previous behavior back.

for now, here's the workaround: (some work to do):

workaround: You just have to create another midi track (you may use midi track at the top of list (above 100??) to avoid to see them). Use the exact same midi program, midi port, midi channel, program change etc etc. Of course you don't need to copy the midi notes. Now link the original track to the new one with the new SEND TO function in the track inspector. You can mute the original track and still play the other one you just setup since they are linked. Could make it as a temporary solution. You will need 2 tracks per midi programs....

It would be easier to move to an empty track and selected drum, plug in, midi, cv, or keygroup.
By -LG Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:36 pm
This is infuriating. When you’ve been using MPCs for 20 years and run into this, you might go mad. Why in the world would a track mute silence the performance pad audio? Can anyone explain if this ever worked on the mpc live and why it’s like this?
By NearTao Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:44 pm
It's a change in behavior in the 2.8 OS, that is likely unintentional. It seems to have been introduced as part of the 2.8 Midi update. Several people have filed bugs, and hopefully we will see it fixed in 2.8.1.
By bees80 Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:27 pm

What happened to selling your live :lol:
By Lumi Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:01 pm
-LG wrote:This is infuriating. When you’ve been using MPCs for 20 years and run into this, you might go mad. Why in the world would a track mute silence the performance pad audio? Can anyone explain if this ever worked on the mpc live and why it’s like this?

Because in 2.8 when you mute the track, Mpc sends a note off for all the track.
Until 2.7, there was not a note off but a 0 level of the track, so pads were still active.
You can also notice that when you unmute the track, pads play at the next note on the grid on 2.8.
Until 2.7, they played immediately as you unmuted the track.
So there is definetely a change of behaviour and I don't like it now.
I sent a module to Akai hoping they read it and some beta tester put it on bug database for next update.
Akai is not replying anymore on official forums.
So let's hope they go back to previous track mute behaviour.
By Tabletop Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:32 pm
Lumi wrote:
-LG wrote:Until 2.7, they played immediately as you unmuted the track.

Are you sure? I was on 2.6 and unmute would play at the next midi note.
Either way (thought id never say this) I'm seriously considering ditching the mpc for a daw.
By Lumi Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:41 pm
@ tabletop

I am very sure.
I have clips on my drum tracks triggered at the beginning of the sequence.
I have been recording since a year this way.
Now they don't unmute immediately as before, I have to wait for the sequence to start again.
Also some samples get retriggered when I change sequence and that samples are in a drum track that is muted on new sequence. That's simply a wrong behaviour, clearly a bug.
So they messed up track mute somehow
By solrac Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:56 am
There is a easy workaround... rather than muting the track if you want to jam something else, set the monitor state to 'in' instead of 'auto' on the track (red circle on main screen). Et voila.
By Danoc Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:57 am
Tabletop wrote:
Either way (thought id never say this) I'm seriously considering ditching the mpc for a daw.

I would go the DAW way. I know a few people that are about to ditch their MPCs.

One minute 2.8 is great the minute the same person saying its great is rolling back.

I ditched mine. You wanna make music not have to worry and get a headache every upgrade. Its ridiculous.
By Tabletop Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:30 am
solrac wrote:There is a easy workaround... rather than muting the track if you want to jam something else, set the monitor state to 'in' instead of 'auto' on the track (red circle on main screen). Et voila.

Tried that, mine does not work.
By Tabletop Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:48 am
Danoc wrote:
Tabletop wrote:

I would go the DAW way. I know a few people that are about to ditch their MPCs.

One minute 2.8 is great the minute the same person saying its great is rolling back.

I ditched mine. You wanna make music not have to worry and get a headache every upgrade. Its ridiculous.

Yeah MPC is a decent & fun drum machine/groovebox whatever you call it but it doesnt seem like the nukai team has any idea or where they want the mpc to end up in regards to being a professional machine. I want a professional standalone piece of equipment and they are trying to sell me a splice subscription, lol.
Like iron out all these bugs before you get all gimmicky. Nukai paid someone to have a dancing duck on the sidechain graphic... Pay someone to fix the f'in' bugs before you make graphics!!! :lol:
For the record I think most of the graphics need overhauled... but I will forgive the duck, I kinda like the duck :lol:

Gonna see What 3.0 holds but probably going ableton soon. Might keep live as a controller though.