MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By -xMPCx- Sat May 30, 2020 4:46 pm
Hi all,

This is my first post here and I'm also a new owner of the MPC X. Iv'e had my Akai about a week but last night I really started getting in to it. Iv'e been with hardware synths etc since 1988 I used to own the Akai MPC2000XL, S3000XL back in the day.

I just have a couple of questions about setup and features that I haven't yet figured out.

1. Iv'e set all my hardware synths up via midi etc but I'm having problems with only one of them which is the ASM Hydra desk top. My problem is that I can't find a way to control the Hydra as it's NRPN mostly, is there a way the MPC X can send out NRPN data to the Hydra?

2. I'm mapping all the midi cc's of my synths to the Q-Links which works just fine however I cannot seem to find a way to rename the Q-Links and I can't see how to do it in the manual. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here, is there a combination of button pushes or something to type in a new name? Pulling my hair out with this one.

3. Finally, I have a Boss DD/MD & RV500 set of FX pedals connected to the returns of my Mackie 1642vlz4 mixer which is great but my question about the pedals is that would it be possible to control the midi cc's of my pedals from the MPC X?
How would I connect all 3 pedals? I have a Kenton Thru 12 here so would I just connect my FX to say midi out D and make a couple of midi tracks and do it that way?

Sorry for the questions Iv'e been through the manual on most stuff but the Q-Link one is baffling me most.

PS

Nice to meet you all here.
By Lampdog Sat May 30, 2020 7:30 pm
No NRPN and no Q-Link renaming.
By -xMPCx- Sat May 30, 2020 8:41 pm
Lampdog wrote:No NRPN and no Q-Link renaming.

Ok thanks for the reply.
By Elektrobolt Sat May 30, 2020 8:51 pm
Yes, I wish they would allow raw MIDI messages, so I at least can compose my own (e.g. SysEx) which could also allow for creating NRPN and other extended "standards".

AND a better MIDI List Editor. I dislike the clickety-click-click and drop-down style editing for each message.
By Lampdog Sat May 30, 2020 9:21 pm
Akai are having ‘nuff bugs to squash way before dealing with NPRN.
By wavejockey Sun May 31, 2020 7:19 am
on 4 : yes, you can control these from a couple of MIDI tracks (or one) loaded with CC out through one MIDI bus
remember that the higher the (audio) out on the X, the better S/N ratio
By -xMPCx- Sun May 31, 2020 11:45 am
wavejockey wrote:on 4 : yes, you can control these from a couple of MIDI tracks (or one) loaded with CC out through one MIDI bus
remember that the higher the (audio) out on the X, the better S/N ratio

Thanks a lot I was thinking about connecting my Boss DD/MD and RV500 to the Kenton midi thru 12 then midi out D from the MPC X to the in of the Kenton midi thru. That way I could have all my FX on different midi channels, maybe keeping my midi out D for any future external FX control.

PS

Shame about not being able to rename Q-Links that would have been handy but I'll work around that one.

Thanks