MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By emdog Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:40 am
Just got a new mpc live 2. The speaker is actually a really good addition. Overall the new live 2 is worth the upgrade.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:26 am
Do you mean it's worth the upgrade if you already have an MPC Live I?

Imo it's a pretty uncompelling upgrade, more of a minor update, it really needed an increase in power to justify replacing the existing model, such as more ram, CPU etc. But it seems Akai are sticking with those specs across their entire product range for the foreseeable future.

Alternatively an improvement in pad functionality would have been interesting, such as zonal mapping etc. Would like to see them come up with some new tech, take a look around at the likes of Roli and Keith Macmillan etc. I just don't think they put much effort into this considering it's been three years.

But yes, on the whole it's certainly better than the original Live except for the 25% increase in weight which impacts portability, and the additional $200 asking price. But those needing the cv outs and extra buttons will certainly be interested.
By Tabletop Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:05 pm
Cool. Youre trying to make yourself feel better about spending a bunch of money on a SPKR mpc, by putting down those who own the same product minus the SPKR.

Enjoy your heavier SPKR mpc...

I'm sure your music will soar now :lol:
By NearTao Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:50 pm
I read nothing from OP about putting down Live mk1... the OP just mentioned that the upgrade was worth it (for OP at least). I didn't read any judging about Live mk1 vs Live mk2 in that statement. If OP is enjoying the speaker (among other changes), then cool. Where's the beef?
By Lampdog Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:53 pm
NearTao wrote:I read nothing from OP about putting down Live mk1... the OP just mentioned that the upgrade was worth it (for OP at least). I didn't read any judging about Live mk1 vs Live mk2 in that statement. If OP is enjoying the speaker (among other changes), then cool. Where's the beef?

+1
By Tabletop Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:07 pm
NearTao wrote:I read nothing from OP about putting down Live mk1... the OP just mentioned that the upgrade was worth it (for OP at least). I didn't read any judging about Live mk1 vs Live mk2 in that statement. If OP is enjoying the speaker (among other changes), then cool. Where's the beef?

The title is:
Live2 is greater than live
Did you miss that part? :lol:
By Tabletop Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:14 pm
Maybe it was meant as:

Live2 is literally bigger and heavier than live and it has more buttons.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:19 pm
Yes, come on, the title is clearly indicating the live 2 is 'greater' than the live and hence inviting a discussion about that topic. As said, I think it is better except for the additional weight and cost, but it's minor incremental rather than essential imo. Missed opportunity.

Ultimately I wish they'd just stuck to two MPCs, with the lower cost model being more portable (size wise) like the MPC One but with battery and the Live II's I/O, at around $899-$999. But I think they wanted something to compete with the likes of the Digitkat at the $650 region so we get the One with no battery and artificially restricted features (e.g. no bluetooth, no wifi, USB 2, no SATA, no Ableton Control) and a relatively expensive Live II which is ultimately the same as the MPC Live I but ends up sacrificing some of the portability
By Tabletop Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:54 pm
EnochLight wrote:
Tabletop wrote:Cool. Youre trying to make yourself feel better about spending a bunch of money on a SPKR mpc, by putting down those who own the same product minus the SPKR.

At what point was he "putting down those who own the same product minus the SPKR"? I saw no name calling, no insults, nothing of the sort. Make himself feel better? :WTF:

Enoch, cmon, youre not that dense. What do YOU think the title means?
Only reason you commented is because you have the 2.
By Tabletop Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:59 pm
If you need CV, the Live2>live

If you need more buttons because the shortcuts are slowing down your workflow, Live2>live

If you want a bigger, heavier mpc with a built in speaker, Live2>live
By emdog Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:26 pm
bees80 wrote:cool. i will use my dynaudio bm5a monitors if you don't mind though.

I have barefoot micro main 26...not sure what your point is... The speakers on the live2 serve their purpose for me.
By emdog Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:29 pm
Tabletop wrote:Cool. Youre trying to make yourself feel better about spending a bunch of money on a SPKR mpc, by putting down those who own the same product minus the SPKR.

I don't need to make myself feel better lol. I have both 1 and 2, just letting people know. lots of people may like the speaker..it def has its use.
By EnochLight Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:31 pm
Tabletop wrote:Enoch, cmon, youre not that dense. What do YOU think the title means?
Only reason you commented is because you have the 2.

Not really. I just don't see what the big deal is. Title reads literally the Live 2 "is greater than" the Live. I don't interpret that as putting down Live MK1 owners at all. Seems a stretch is all I'm saying. The only reason I commented is because I disagree with it being alluded to an attack on Live 1 owners, is all. And I certainly don't need to feel good about myself. :D :lol:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯