MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Lumi Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:10 pm
J.O.BEATS wrote:I still can’t wrap my head around people who have the live 1 spending that much money on the 2 just for a speaker and CV. Even if I was in the market for an mpc I’d just pick up a second hand live or a new One. It’s such a weird “upgrade”.

Because it's not an upgrade.
Specs are the same, it's the same device.
I would call it a redesign.
Which is not a bad thing, you can choose which is more comfortable for you.
For me the speaker is not necessary and I want an Mpc that fits in a 17" bag because I travel.
So I still prefer mk1.
Someone else can be happy to have a bultin speaker, why not.
So everyone is happy, mk1 and mk2 owners. Actually they have the same device ahah.
By emdog Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:18 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:I wonder how long before someone hacks the Live Mk I with some kind of case with incorporated sound bar, CV/Gate adapter and ethernet port. Or maybe an MPC One case with built in battery and speaker.

so are you also saying that the live2 > live1 ? :mrgreen:
By Tabletop Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:57 pm
If you own(ed) live1 & got live2 & aren't using the CV & dont plan to... If you own(ed) live1 & had to get the newest mpc out there because you want to keep up with the joneses... (imo) you got hustled. You bought a gimmick, (like Charles would say of the live1's battery.) You just paid $200+ to have 'monitor speakers' on your live.
Users might get a new bag for it, and if you're really spendy you'll get a new decksaver for it... Mpcstuff gotta eat too, right...
That's all fine. We all spend our money however we want, make frivolous purchases, etc.
The speaker probably sounds good. I dont doubt it. I've had a few machines/synths with built in speakers. Some sound better than others, but you can turn the device on and play and its fun, quick, easy. But thats my problem with it. To me, none of my devices with speakers ever really helped with the actual sound or production of the music, and I just think its an odd, totally unnecessary step for akai to be making to what I think most users consider a current (or potential) powerhouse music machine, with room to improve.
If you like the speaker, cool. Id rather have akai work on things under the hood than things like splice, ableton & ...a speaker...
It would have made more sense on the one. :popcorn: peace!
By MPC-Tutor Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:25 am
NearTao wrote:It shouldn't be too hard for somebody to see what they did and what headers you could connect or solder to.

I was thinking of something purely 'external' that anyone could add, so the case plugs into the Live's headphone output to provide the speaker audio (with some kind of bypass option) and perhaps also connects the Live's USB port to a hub built into the case which in turn can provide CV/gate and ethernet, more USB ports etc. Could also fit an additional battery inside to power the speaker. All sounds like it might be a bit heavy though :) But a speaker like this could be built into the case.
By emdog Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:54 am
Tabletop wrote:If you own(ed) live1 & got live2 & aren't using the CV & dont plan to... If you own(ed) live1 & had to get the newest mpc out there because you want to keep up with the joneses... (imo) you got hustled. You bought a gimmick, (like Charles would say of the live1's battery.) You just paid $200+ to have 'monitor speakers' on your live.
Users might get a new bag for it, and if you're really spendy you'll get a new decksaver for it... Mpcstuff gotta eat too, right...
That's all fine. We all spend our money however we want, make frivolous purchases, etc.
The speaker probably sounds good. I dont doubt it. I've had a few machines/synths with built in speakers. Some sound better than others, but you can turn the device on and play and its fun, quick, easy. But thats my problem with it. To me, none of my devices with speakers ever really helped with the actual sound or production of the music, and I just think its an odd, totally unnecessary step for akai to be making to what I think most users consider a current (or potential) powerhouse music machine, with room to improve.
If you like the speaker, cool. Id rather have akai work on things under the hood than things like splice, ableton & ...a speaker...

Cool. What do you mean more under the hood? Like RAM /processor so you can run 50 plugins or some shit?
By Tabletop Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:23 am
"Cool. What do you mean more under the hood? Like RAM /processor so you can run 50 plugins or some ****?"
---------------------
Well, more ram/CPU to start... And, yeah, (maybe not 50, lol, but) the ability to run 3rd party plugs in standalone... I mean why not work on making this thing a (or thee most) powerful DAW in a standalone box?

There are a bunch of things I don't really even need that bad, but would have taken them over a speaker! I'm gonna ride it out to 3.0 and see where its going, but that may be it...
What can really compare to the lives/x?
Octatrack?
By emdog Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:04 am
Tabletop wrote:"Cool. What do you mean more under the hood? Like RAM /processor so you can run 50 plugins or some ****?"
---------------------
Well, more ram/CPU to start... And, yeah, (maybe not 50, lol, but) the ability to run 3rd party plugs in standalone... I mean why not work on making this thing a (or thee most) powerful DAW in a standalone box?

There are a bunch of things I don't really even need that bad, but would have taken them over a speaker! I'm gonna ride it out to 3.0 and see where its going, but that may be it...
What can really compare to the lives/x?
Octatrack?

It depends what you want to do. Octatrack is completely different workflow wise.
I’d probably just stick to a computer If you want to run the best plugins. I wish they would just put ableton in a mpc or a box that is completely compatible with ableton live.
By emdog Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:21 am
Also don’t forget the touch screen is a lot more responsive. And the headphone jack is 1/4” not 1/8”
By bees80 Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:51 am
emdog wrote:
bees80 wrote:cool. i will use my dynaudio bm5a monitors if you don't mind though.

I have barefoot micro main 26...not sure what your point is... The speakers on the live2 serve their purpose for me.

My point is pretty simple; in no universe i would need a mpc with a scruffy, bad placed bluetooth kind of speaker for my music: so i prefer my monitors.

But that's just me. I gotta do me. Talking about that, i'm going to make a big bowl of cereal, and then take my morning dump. I already feel things are loosening up in my tummy.
By Eyalc Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:18 pm
Tabletop wrote:The speaker probably sounds good. I dont doubt it. I've had a few machines/synths with built in speakers. Some sound better than others, but you can turn the device on and play and its fun, quick, easy. But thats my problem with it. To me, none of my devices with speakers ever really helped with the actual sound or production of the music, and I just think its an odd, totally unnecessary step for akai to be making to what I think most users consider a current (or potential) powerhouse music machine, with room to improve.

This is exactly my perspective.

The speaker, while interesting, doesn’t enhance, nor detract from the ability to compose music. But that’s the problem I’ve had with Akai for years. SO many things they’re doing that don’t enhance the ability to compose. It’s just a bunch of “oh cool” nonsense. And sometimes, :hmmm: nonsense. And as a result, many professionals I know, no longer take Akai seriously when it comes to professional composition tools. It’s just something they use because they like the workflow. But serious work gets transferred to a DAW and completed there.

Apologies, Saturday rant over. Back to music work. Got a new album coming in August... y’all got less than 3 months to get y’all stuff together, then I’m coming for those charts... LOL.

Alright, clearly I gotta get back to work. Too much qwerty keyboard, not enough piano keyboard. I’m out.
By 40Beatz Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:37 pm
LOL....Im waiting for the X MKII with the Detachable TouchScreen and HDMI Support
By NearTao Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:51 pm
40Beatz wrote:LOL....Im waiting for the X MKII with the Detachable TouchScreen and HDMI Support

Heck, I'd check that out just for a Z8 style detachable screen.

Imagine making beats on the touch screen :D
By Caustic Yoda Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:48 pm
why did i even read this thread? for the beef like any thread with a dumb title like this inviting and argument. enjoy the toy speaker and all 2kgs of it