MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Caustic Yoda Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:22 am
Hi all, just wondering how everyone is finding the timing on the 2.8 clock in stand alone mode, ive got a few devices hooked up and its ok but can see on my digitakt that is slaved the tempo fluctuates from -0.2 bpm to +0.2 bpm, clocked to most of my other gear max is 0.1 bpm in either direction. this isnt terrible but could be improved hopefully, also has anyone found any instruments that dont communicate with the 2.8 software over usb midi, so far most instruments have been perfect except a korg monologue synth that when connected makes the tempo on the live go nuts even with the korg set not to send clock. best update yet so far, mpc live is running my synths and arranger for the digitakt, happy with it finally, just want a tighter clock
By wavejockey Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:15 am
these fluctuations don't really say that much
who says that it is not on the receiver side?
maybe that gear is just plain sensitive and displays every little change in tempo?
(maybe it even rounds it to the nearest...)
i clock my DAW & other gear with an MPC4000 which is know to be really stable and i get the same fluctuations in the tempo indicator on my (other) gear
By Caustic Yoda Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:43 am
when the digitakt is clocked to the mpc3000 its locked to tempo, when clocked to octatrack its good with only occasional -+0.1 bpm, when clocked to live its display shows its not getting a good signal from the jumping tempo constantly chasing with variance of 0.3 either way, when connected to the 2500 as master which aslo has pretty sloppy clock its similarly bad, the lives midi timing has varied with every update release i just hope it gets to a good place like the 3000, 4000 in the end, this is in no way a super accurate way of measuring but i know its not that tight and could be better
By bees80 Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:52 am
Caustic Yoda wrote:Hi all, just wondering how everyone is finding the timing on the 2.8 clock in stand alone mode, ive got a few devices hooked up and its ok but can see on my digitakt that is slaved the tempo fluctuates from -0.2 bpm to +0.2 bpm, clocked to most of my other gear max is 0.1 bpm in either direction. this isnt terrible but could be improved hopefully, also has anyone found any instruments that dont communicate with the 2.8 software over usb midi, so far most instruments have been perfect except a korg monologue synth that when connected makes the tempo on the live go nuts even with the korg set not to send clock. best update yet so far, mpc live is running my synths and arranger for the digitakt, happy with it finally, just want a tighter clock

I'm experiencing weird things like this with my digitone and rd-8. Shifting BPM's a bit. But i had this before 2.8 too.

Also the RD-8 doesn't always start when i press start play on the mpc, i have to hit it again.

Though i have the idea that this is in the RD-8. Syncing the mpc to my digitone and analogue four is perfect (though the BPM changes on the digitone, it doesn't go out of sync).
By bees80 Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:40 pm
Caustic Yoda wrote:Hi all, just wondering how everyone is finding the timing on the 2.8 clock in stand alone mode, ive got a few devices hooked up and its ok but can see on my digitakt that is slaved the tempo fluctuates from -0.2 bpm to +0.2 bpm, clocked to most of my other gear max is 0.1 bpm in either direction. this isnt terrible but could be improved hopefully, also has anyone found any instruments that dont communicate with the 2.8 software over usb midi, so far most instruments have been perfect except a korg monologue synth that when connected makes the tempo on the live go nuts even with the korg set not to send clock. best update yet so far, mpc live is running my synths and arranger for the digitakt, happy with it finally, just want a tighter clock

Yoda, do you have them hooked up via midi?

I have. I am curious if USB would be better.. But i don't feel like getting 234234234 usb cables and be left with midi cable spaghetti..
By Caustic Yoda Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:45 pm
ive tried midi and usb midi for things that allow it, so far working perfectly i have, korg microx over usb midi, moog gm over usb midi. monologue goes nuts over usb or midi din when connected to ins and outs of the live (monologue works fine with mpc2500 tho over midi din) the digitakt is on midi din as the usb is connected to a laptop for tracking out, i dont imagine usb midi would be tighter than din socket will will test it sometime.
By Bonsaipanda Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:48 am
The important question is >> can you _hear_ the fluctuation?

External clock generator might be handy if you want rock solid timing. The MIDI boards hook up to the main board via USB which already adds some flux into the datastream and this is not even taking into account the mainboard's timing accuracy. DJs can play their set from vinyl and the crowd won't notice if the beat is a bit off on every turn. :D
By Lumi Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:11 pm
As long as I used midi clocks, I always had fluctuations with almost any gear I used.
I think it's kind of standard when you work with midi.
Some gears show 0.1 or 0.2 fluctuations and some doesn't show.
You don't notice it anyway, if it's a small fluctuation.
By Monotremata Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:15 pm
Yeah most devices dont even let you choose tenths so if you're seeing 0.1 or 0.2 fluctuations, that means you've just got a MIDI device thats got some super MIDI metering thats showing you what's going on. Every other synth with a whole number value isn't going to show you it bouncing around by a tenth of a beat because the display doesnt show it. Its more than likely been happening since the day you started using your first MIDI instrument, you just weren't aware of it constantly syncing. SMPTE and MTC do the same thing as they keep up sync between devices. If its constantly doing it, then you've got a shitty clock somewhere or a device that just cant seem to lock to a clock, but normally you should see it adjust and sort itself out here and there if you've got a meter that drills down to that level.
By bees80 Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:16 pm
Lumi wrote:As long as I used midi clocks, I always had fluctuations with almost any gear I used.

Did you try with USB? same problem?
By Lumi Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:19 pm
bees80 wrote:
Lumi wrote:As long as I used midi clocks, I always had fluctuations with almost any gear I used.

Did you try with USB? same problem?

It's not a problem.
It's a normal midi behaviour.
I didn't try with usb but anyway as you use midi clock, the sync is always refreshing, it's how midi works.
It always makes small fluctuations of 0.1/0.2 bpm.
Midi is a protocol of 40 years ago.
I don"t know if it's the same with usb, I never tried usb clock.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:11 pm
Monotremata wrote:Yeah most devices dont even let you choose tenths so if you're seeing 0.1 or 0.2 fluctuations, that means you've just got a MIDI device thats got some super MIDI metering thats showing you what's going on. Every other synth with a whole number value isn't going to show you it bouncing around by a tenth of a beat because the display doesnt show it. Its more than likely been happening since the day you started using your first MIDI instrument, you just weren't aware of it constantly syncing. SMPTE and MTC do the same thing as they keep up sync between devices. If its constantly doing it, then you've got a **** clock somewhere or a device that just cant seem to lock to a clock, but normally you should see it adjust and sort itself out here and there if you've got a meter that drills down to that level.

+1, this happens when people use their eyes and not their ears. Same thing happens when audio mixing. You hear it all the time, the wave doesn't LOOK right. :lol:
By Danoc Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:00 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
You hear it all the time, the wave doesn't LOOK right. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: You aint never lied lol That's some funny ish lol