MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Danoc Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:02 am
J.O.BEATS wrote:And so it begins.....

:lol: :lol: when saw SPEAKER ISSUE l said aaaahhh sh** :lol:
By Danoc Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:05 am
inflict3 wrote:Man, why they have to put a speaker in it... I was hoping the live 2 would be more like the mpc500 with a better screen, maybe like an 8inch touch screen..

:nod: ^5
By domitec Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:01 pm
I can confirm the rattling noise when playing deep frequences like bass synths etc. The speaker itself seem to be fine and it sounds very good for its size, especially with mid and high frequencies.
The rattling while playing deep frequencies does not seem to come from the speaker itself. It is especially noticable on the left and right sides of the casing, not directly from the front.
By domitec Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:40 am
domitec wrote:I can confirm the rattling noise when playing deep frequences like bass synths etc. The speaker itself seems to be fine and it sounds very good for its size, especially with mid and high frequencies.
The rattling while playing deep frequencies does not seem to come from the speaker itself. It is especially noticable on the left and right sides of the casing, not directly from the front.

I just added two audio examples:
  • Both examples are form the MPC demo project "Clips" (Demos/Clip demo.xpj)
  • Volume knob at a little more than half (at "1 o'clock")
  • Recorded with a dynamic microphone directly on the left/right side of the housing

Please let me know if you experience similar problems with your MPC Live II. I guess it's some kind of a design flaw with the damping/housing.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:31 pm
domitec wrote:I just added two audio examples:
  • Recorded with a dynamic microphone directly on the left/right side of the housing

Please let me know if you experience similar problems with your MPC Live II. I guess it's some kind of a design flaw with the damping/housing.

The bass is resonating the body. The recording sounds like, what an acoustic upright bass feels and sounds like when playing. What kind of table is the MPC LIVE on? Because that could be part of the issue as well. Try using some Sound Dampening Speaker Riser Foam or place the mpc on bricks and record it again.
By domitec Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:39 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:

The bass is resonating the body. The recording sounds like, what an acoustic upright bass feels and sounds like when playing. What kind of table is the MPC LIVE on? Because that could be part of the issue as well. Try using some Sound Dampening Speaker Riser Foam or place the mpc on bricks and record it again.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately it is not the table causing the resonances. It also happens on other types of surfaces like stone or foam, I also tried different locations and rooms. I can clearly locate it from both sides of the built-in speaker (not from the front, which is also interesting). Maybe Akai has built in some kind of „passive bass woofers“ on both sides which resonate with the body while playing lower frequencies.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:42 pm
domitec wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately it is not the table causing the resonances. It also happens on other types of surfaces like stone or foam, I also tried different locations and rooms. I can clearly locate it from both sides of the built-in speaker (not from the front, which is also interesting). Maybe Akai has built in some kind of „passive bass woofers“ on both sides which resonate with the body while playing lower frequencies.

Chances are it's just the small full range speakers and small enclosure. So when it hit a certain frequency, you get that resonance.
By AGFA Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:49 pm
domitec wrote:I can confirm the rattling noise when playing deep frequences like bass synths etc. The speaker itself seem to be fine and it sounds very good for its size, especially with mid and high frequencies.

Thanks
By no_barcode Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:35 am
domitec wrote:
domitec wrote:I can confirm the rattling noise when playing deep frequences like bass synths etc. The speaker itself seems to be fine and it sounds very good for its size, especially with mid and high frequencies.

I just added two audio examples:

My Live II doesn't seem to have this issue when playing back the bass clips from the the clip demo while the master level knob is between 1 and 3 o'clock. (I actually turned it up all the way too -- and it still didn't do that. But I did get some distortion; just not like yours.)

I installed an SSD before I even turned it on. Maybe the SATA cable is vibrating? It's just kind of hanging there if there's no SSD. I also noticed that the thin plastic side "cheeks" (not really cheeks, but the ventilated side pieces) don't seem to fit the enclosure perfectly, so when you grab it to pick it up, sometime it feels like one or both will kind of move inward a bit and make a little clicking noise. Point being, that could become more and more of an issue over time and just start rattling I suppose. Has yours always done this? If so, I'd return it.
By EnochLight Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:52 am

I cannot recreate this issue on my Live 2 (with volume either at the 1 o'clock setting or otherwise). Mine doesn't rattle at all.
By Tabletop Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:47 pm
Buzzy speaker owners, I feel your frustration:
Years ago a friend handed down some cheap $25 tascam headphones, and in the left speaker there was a rattle, or buzz, when some bass frequencies would hit. I knew that my friend meant well, but was really just dumping his broke a$$ headphones in my lap. I played around with the headphones for a while and a week later the rattle stopped and they were actually useful for a while.
I really hope your rattles stop somehow and akai never puts speakers on an mpc again!
By peterpiper Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:48 pm
As long as the bits in the CPU don't jump from the vibration everything is ok ;)

Ok, serious mode: Send/bring it back and try to get another one.

peace