MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Odal Vervloesem Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:39 pm
Hi!

So I received my MPC One on thursday. 4 days in, I'm loving it. Yet, last night I touched the headphone jack and noticed a slight audio cut. I have read other people noticing the headphone jack is not as secure as other 3.5mm jacks.

I've tried it with different cables and they all sorta have it, one a bit more than the other. I also noticed the issue is easier to reproduce when I'm using a headphone with built in mic (3 connectors on the jack) in comparison to a normal stereo aux cable.

Is this a known bug for the MPC? Or is it because the jacks are less secure so the connection is lost faster (so not really a faulty jack)? Should I worry about this becoming a bigger issue in the future? If so, I'll be sending it back to the company I bought it from, ofcourse.

Thanks in advance!
By NearTao Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:52 pm
I believe the jack on the MPC One is TRS, when you're plugging in a TRRS (headset with mic) they can have really odd behavior. I'd stick with standard TRS headphones personally for this reason.
By Odal Vervloesem Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:59 pm
NearTao wrote:I believe the jack on the MPC One is TRS, when you're plugging in a TRRS (headset with mic) they can have really odd behavior. I'd stick with standard TRS headphones personally for this reason.

I had this suspicion, hence why I started this thread. To see if anyone else encountered it before I send it back, wait a couple of weeks before I get a new one and still have the same issue. Thanks for the reply!
By NearTao Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:10 am
If you're using a pair of apple headphones, try holding down the volume up, volume down, or middle mic button and see if it changes anything. There are a few different ways companies implement the TRRS, and some don't work. Sadly, Apple went one way that is incompatible with how many devices implemented TRRS mic/headphone sets of the past... and a lot of systems just work or do not work... it depends on the manufacturer, model, etc...
By Odal Vervloesem Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:07 am
NearTao wrote:If you're using a pair of apple headphones, try holding down the volume up, volume down, or middle mic button and see if it changes anything. There are a few different ways companies implement the TRRS, and some don't work. Sadly, Apple went one way that is incompatible with how many devices implemented TRRS mic/headphone sets of the past... and a lot of systems just work or do not work... it depends on the manufacturer, model, etc...

I used a Pioneer headset and Marshall mk2 and some random AUX cables I had laying around. Except for the headsets, all my cables are a bit old so this could be a factor as wel. I'm going to order a few new cables tomorrow and see how those go.
I know where the "sweet spot" for this issue is on my marshall mk2, which isn't a natural position to connect it ("L" pointed to the left) which makes me wonder if it is caused by slight pressure from the input itself.

It's not really game breaking or something I would really have an issue with if it stays like this. But seeing as I've only had it for 4 days, it's somewhat of a worry in terms of lifespan of the headphone output.
By Odal Vervloesem Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:36 am
NearTao wrote:I believe the jack on the MPC One is TRS, when you're plugging in a TRRS (headset with mic) they can have really odd behavior. I'd stick with standard TRS headphones personally for this reason.

SOLVED [probably]

I tried pushing in the play button on my marshall mk2, it fixes the issue with this headset (it would cut audio on this headset) the pioneer still crackles when moving around (doesn't do this when plugged into main outputs through converter plug)
But I can imagine this is, indeed, due to the TRS/TRRS difference as you mentioned.
There is one cable (trs) that crackles a lot, unless it's hooked to the main outputs. This is an old, cheap aux though. So this could be purely cause it's a crappy aux.

I'll update when I get my new cables, but for now you have solved my problem! Thank you!
By antic604 Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:58 am
Yeah, have this issue too. It seems that MPC One expects a slightly "thicker" plug than most other connections, so that it doesn't move as much. It's not really a deal breaker, but it's enough of an annoyance that I decided to get this to plug the headphones in the back:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/pro_snake_tpy ... ImVuIn0%3D

I'll be sure to report if it works as expected.
By Cases Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:41 pm
I believe the jack on the MPC One is TRS, when you're plugging in a TRRS (headset with mic) they can have really odd behavior. I'd stick with standard TRS headphones personally for this reason.

Nah, I can confirm its the unit.. I have never had any issues with any of my headphones or jacks.. it's wonky.. I've already replaced the input jack on my unit. It's a **** joke I had to replace a brandnew socket form the box.... chinese garbage LOL.

I mean, the mpc one is sexy AF.. but this was a downside..
By Cases Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:22 pm
Yeah, have this issue too. It seems that MPC One expects a slightly "thicker" plug than most other connections, so that it doesn't move as much. It's not really a deal breaker, but it's enough of an annoyance that I decided to get this to plug the headphones in the back:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/pro_snake_tpy ... ImVuIn0%3D

I'll be sure to report if it works as expected.

Don't the headphones out and main out have different gains? I'm curious if you'll need an amp for that? How did it work out? I want to use the 3.5mm (i hate those tiny plugs) as least as possible.
By Ultros Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:35 pm
Symianbeatz wrote:My headphones jack is sloppy too, I don't see an easy fix for it to be honest.. must be a super cheap component for akai to source, you'd think they'd be a bit more robust..

What you can do if you're handy and sane is open the unit and bend the inner tong inward. So when you insert the earphones it holds tight.

I like to believe the people here are capable people rather than make the assumption they're to stupid to do it themselves. There seems to be a weird general consesnsus by some of the members here that opening your mpc and poking at its guts will lead to its untimely doom however thats really not true.. its all resin coated circuits and stuff.. If you're careful and paitent there is no reason why anyone cant disassemble and fix/replace the components of their own units.

I can almost garantee someone will reply to this post with some tinfoil hat lunatic rantings about why not to disassemble your mpc but it's all bullcrap if you're a handy person.