MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By jemabaris Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:37 pm
So here is my problem. Whenever I create a new track, by default it listens to all midi channels. I have many synths and sequencer connected via USB to the MPC Live in my setup and whenever i create a new track it goes wild will all the running sequencer feeding into it. Even worse when overdub is enabled it records all this shit into it. So is there any way to change the default behaviour not to listen too all midi channels? Or another workaround? Another problem I noticed, which only occurs when external sequencers are running is, that the Note Repeat function, once latched, triggers weird stuff all the time, even if listen to all midi channels is turned off.

Please MPC gods, help me out!!! :worthy: :lol:
By bees80 Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:12 pm
first guess though, set midi to track in the settings.

MIDI / Sync
The settings on this screen determine how your MPC hardware uses and synchronizes with connected USB and
MIDI devices.
Input Ports: This displays all available MIDI input ports in a list. Tap the keyboard icon to rename a port to a
custom name. When Master is enabled, MIDI data from this port will always go to the current track. When
Control is enabled, MIDI data from this port will be sent to MIDI Learn. When Track is enabled, this MIDI port will
appear in the list of available MIDI Inputs. Click the X to reset the MDI Port settings.
Output Ports: This displays all available MIDI output ports in a list. Tap the keyboard icon to rename a port to a
custom name. When Sync is enabled, the MIDI output port will send MIDI sync messages according to the type
set under Sync Send, below. When Track is enabled, this MIDI port will appear in the list of available track MIDI
outputs.
Enable MIDI Ports When Discovered: When enabled, any time a MIDI device is plugged in the Track option is
automatically enabled so the ports can be selected as an available MIDI input or output.
MIDI Control Mode Output: This determines the MIDI Output port that the MPC hardware will use for MIDI
Control Mode.
Receive: This determines whether your MPC hardware receives MIDI Clock information (MIDI Clock), MIDI Time
Code information (MIDI Time Code (MTC)), communication from Ableton Link (Ableton Link), or none of these (Off).
Receive MMC: When enabled, your MPC hardware will be able to receive MIDI Machine Control (MMC)
information. When disabled, your MPC hardware will not receive this information. See Appendix > MIDI Machine
Control (MMC) to learn about this.
Send: This determines whether your MPC hardware sends MIDI Clock information (MIDI Clock), MIDI Time
Code information (MIDI Time Code (MTC)), or neither (Off).
Send MMC: When enabled, your MPC hardware will be able to send MIDI Machine Control (MMC) information.
When disabled, your MPC hardware will not send this information. See Appendix > MIDI Machine Control (MMC)
to learn about this.
MTC Frame Rate: This determines the frame rate used by MIDI Time Code (MTC), which is important for correct
timing, especially when working on film scoring projects. In most cases, you should select 25.
Start Time: This is the starting time that will be sent when Send MIDI is set to anything other than Off. The time
is formatted in hours:minutes:seconds:frames.

Page 80 in the manual. https://www.akaipro.com/amfile/file/dow ... duct/8798/
By jemabaris Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:52 pm
bees80 wrote:please explain in depth what you mean with ''by default it listens to all midi channels''

In the midi channelstrip inspector under the tab "Midi Input" the default option is All Ports.
That what i meant.
By bees80 Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:41 pm
jemabaris wrote:
bees80 wrote:please explain in depth what you mean with ''by default it listens to all midi channels''

In the midi channelstrip inspector under the tab "Midi Input" the default option is All Ports.
That what i meant.

In the midi track, you have select Midi Port: MPC A or MPC B (depending to which output your external gear is selected) and then select the midi channel (Midi CH) that external gear is set too.
By jemabaris Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:26 am
Uhm no, this is not the problem. There is nothing connected via Midi. Everything is connected via USB and the problem is that any new track reacts and play all the incoming midi data from all the other sequencers and synths connected via USB. That is happening because by default every new track is set to: All Midi Ins

What I wanna do is change that default to something like None or find a work around to this.
By ziczac Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:44 am
jemabaris wrote:What I wanna do is change that default to something like None or find a work around to this.

Discovered the same wish. Do you find any solution? It´s annoying to disable/change the setting for every new track.

Best way would be a Setting Option in the Configuration for a Global Default Midi In Port/Channel - or even disabled
By NearTao Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:53 pm
Can you draw a picture and label all your midi ins/outs/thrus, and all USB connections? We can probably suggest a few things to disconnect or try differently to try and isolate the issue.
By bees80 Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:19 am
jemabaris wrote:Uhm no, this is not the problem. There is nothing connected via Midi. Everything is connected via USB and the problem is that any new track reacts and play all the incoming midi data from all the other sequencers and synths connected via USB. That is happening because by default every new track is set to: All Midi Ins

What I wanna do is change that default to something like None or find a work around to this.

Is the MPC supposed to be the master sync to all the other gear? If so, then you should turn of any incoming midi/usb from your external gear in the mpc sync/midi preferences, except for midi/usb keyboard, if you have one. Below a quote from the manual

The Input Ports section displays all available MIDI input ports in a list. Tap the keyboard icon to rename a port to a
custom name. This is particularly useful when using multiple devices connected to a single MIDI interface or hub, as
you can name the ports according to the devices connected to them. The custom port names will be reflected
throughout the internal software.
Next to each MIDI input port are the Master, Control and Track buttons:
• When Master is enabled, MIDI data from this port will always go to the current track. The MPC Pads are an
example of a device that is always Global.
• When Control is enabled, MIDI data from this port will be sent to MIDI Learn.
• When Track is enabled, this MIDI port will appear in the list of available track MIDI Inputs.

And another thing you can try is to turn of outgoing midi/usb signals in the settings from your external gear.

If this doesn't work, please show us a written out scheme like neartao suggested. And perhaps a video would be helpful.
By collargrip_cristian Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:36 pm
Did you ever find a solution?! It's so annoying I can't believe I never see it mentioned.

To recap, by default when a new track is made it's automatically listening on ALL channels and oftentimes I have other stuff running and sending midi to their assigned channel - then the mpc goes crazy receiving them all. Then you get a bunch of hanging notes and you gotta clear the track and the whole flow is broken.

It'd be great if by default when a new track is created it listens to none or one I predetermined in settings somewhere. Pretty sure I'm gonna have to submit it as a feature request to akai
By eLuSiVeMiTe Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:28 pm
Elijah wrote:I think it is normal behavior for a new track to accept everything, even in DAWs like ableton.

It's an annoyance. Personally I'd prefer no input on new tracks until I set it.

Reaper starts with nothing except a default audio routing to master afaik.