MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By eLuSiVeMiTe Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:23 pm
collargrip_cristian wrote:I guess it must be normal because so few of us notice or care. It's whatever, just an extra step (EVERY time :?), it is what it is

Suppose you wouldn't notice if all you use is the MPC.
When your got a lot of synths and sequencers running in tandem and your passing all that midi through the MPC
Everytime you create a new program and forget to turn it off you end up with random drum hits etc.

It's minor but should be an option.

A bigger bugbear is midi routings don't transfer from standalone to controller mode. They all change to new designations and I have to change them all manually when switching.
By Calcaire Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:39 pm
This is one of the project settings that we should have available !

First, don't forget that every sequence contains 128 tracks , ther is no "new" track, as they are all preloaded with any sequence of any project, and empty . As soon as a track is active ( when a drum, keygroup, midi, or program is assigned) it is by default :
ALL Port ALL channel. and Monitoring option is set to AUTO .
(Same as this good old Ableton Live )
It means that if you have record arm active before switching to that "new" track, it will monitor and/or record the midi input as soon as you are on that track. So if you don't mute it, it will receive and play your external synths signals coming in. at m

2 workarounds:
- ARM record button can be desactivated in the same panel while you make the correct MIDI /POrt / Channel / settings on your track, so the program won't respond to incoming midi. then reactivated for monitor and record.

- Make template projects. Hour of works then you're done on any new creations :)

I made a few versions of complete Projecst handling my midi settings for any input/ output , Returns FX preassigned, as Submix and master FX chains (ready for further tweak) . Some plugins preloaded with bread and butter presets.

So yo set all your tracks , programs, midi ins and out assignment for your external devices on this first sequence, I stop at 16 track , but who know
? Then you can add. Sometimes I use template with preloaded sampels or keygroups I like.
Copy tracks within this first sequence. Name everthing, , then I copy this sequence a few times, like a "dummy sequence" template at the beginning of the project.

Then at any time, duplicate this dummy sequence (or a "written" one then Delete Bars) and you don't kill the flow, just adding programs, samples etc... You keep some copies of your dummy tempalte sequence with all assignments at the beginning....
hope it helps
By Elijah Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:15 am
In the Synthstrom Deluge, a new track will not receive any MIDI messages until it has been learned. Therefore, some users have requested a setting that would allow a new track to accept all MIDI messages by default. :?
By 83dude Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:56 am
collargrip_cristian wrote: (…) then the mpc goes crazy receiving them all. Then you get a bunch of hanging notes and you gotta clear the track and the whole flow is broken.

Did you know that you could just hit STOP twice (thrice?) to activate MIDI PANIC! mode to send all notes of?
By kazakore Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:26 pm
Doesn't help your issue directly (and quite shocked this isn't configurable, I agree listen to all is the right default out of the box but it should be changeable!)

Anyway there is a feature that seems not to be documented (if there's a better/faster way to do this without stopping playback somebody please tell me.)

You're doing your performance, you've created a new track and muted it as quickly as you can (hopefully before the sequence loops so output hasn't been too affected.) Now you want to delete the contents of that track without stopping playback. Quickest way I know to do this is to go to the Track Mutes page, hold down Erase and hold the pad for the track you have just created, it will delete whole contents of the track (only checked for Note information, unsure about Automation) for all pads at the current play position. Much faster than doing it in Grid Edit where you only delete note information from the pads relating to notes recorded.

Although not a solution I hope this is at leat a minor help.