MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By DokBrown Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:43 am
Auto Record to clip program → MIDI external drum machines making my own drum loops

IF you are like me, you don’t believe in buying drum loops but rather building your own drum loop library over time. I sample real drums/jazz greats but when it comes to drum machines/analog drums, I believe in taking the time to craft my own sound. This was quite EZ with the roland MV until my harddrive died & I lost 3-5 projects. I use MIDI to sequence my drum machines/synths & then capture the loops as audio phrases on the MV. For my MPC, I intend to load the clips into a clip program so I can easily recall loops for later projects & sync them to the project’s tempo.

THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING IS:
when I go to sample edit, the BPM is not the original sequence BPM.
Sometimes its only off 2-3 BPM, this happened on the MV.
Occassionally it is totally off, this NEVER happed on the MV.

Auto record in AUDIO TRACKS appears to be the way to do this with the MPC .

1] I set the punch in/out settings
2] I arm an audio track 2 record with “auto monitor”
3] I check the levels via the sampler
3] I hit rec/play start and let the 4-16 bars record.
4] I then go to sample edit & check the name/BPM

what am I doing wrong???
LBjr
By wavejockey Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:20 pm
when assembling loops and sampling, they never show the original tempo in the sample editor
it's always off a little - i think the algo for computing the tempo correct is a little off 'cause of not being sample accurate when sampling (+34 samples are left of in the beginning, remember) and (auto) chopping isn't really sample accurate either

first, i set the tempo of the sample in sample editor correct, then i save the sample in it's dedicated folder
-because you cannot do this from the sampling screen (anymore, cause i went into sample edit), i have to assign the sample on a program and then select the pad and then save as on MAIN

when loading again, it shows the correct tempo info
By DokBrown Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:07 am
bees80 wrote:probably your master bpm is not the same as sequence bpm. You can set both on main screen.

can it be that it was all so simple baby ?
By DokBrown Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:20 pm
Master tempo does NOT seem to be the source of this problem.
It also seem that I must use the SAMPLER on resample or the audio input effect is not captured.

I am running 2.6 & I think my software is glitchy so I am between reinstalling 2.6 vs updating to 2.8.

I want the new warp in 2.8 . . . .
By Tabletop Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:58 pm
DokBrown wrote:Master tempo does NOT seem to be the source of this problem.
It also seem that I must use the SAMPLER on resample or the audio input effect is not captured.

I am running 2.6 & I think my software is glitchy so I am between reinstalling 2.6 vs updating to 2.8.

Idk Dok, you might be stuck between a rock & a hard place. 2.6 was, in my experience, the most stable update... the 2.8 warp is definitely, noticeably better... but the bugs...
By 40Beatz Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:15 pm
I like the New Warp Algorithm in 2.8....So much that i've dealt with the Track Mute Bug and shuffling around of Presets in alot of the Air FX's.

To me...its not detrimental. Its interesting coming up with Creative Ways to come up with Workarounds

To the OP....
I do the same thing. I create my own Drum Programs. But i dont use the Clip Function for that. I sample a Drum Break, trim it up in Sample Edit. Then Chop it Up, save it as a .XPM, Export a 8bar Sound Clip, and save everything in its own "Drum Program" folder.

You can effect the BPM wit some good Trimming of the Start and End Points. 2 or 3 BPM isn't bad. THats where Warp comes into effect. It'll help you time it in just right. And with the New Warp Algorithm in 2.8, it'll snap right into place with proper tweaking on the Program Edit Screen
By DokBrown Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:31 pm
Tabletop wrote:
DokBrown wrote:Master tempo does NOT seem to be the source of this problem.

Idk Dok, you might be stuck between a rock & a hard place. 2.6 was, in my experience, the most stable update... the 2.8 warp is definitely, noticeably better... but the bugs...

So sorry to hear that 2.8 has new errors/bugs.

The main reason I choose hardware over software is b/c I don’t have time for bugs/crashes/latency/driver issues.

Maybe, I will wait until the next update. I hear there is a 2.8.2