MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By antic604 Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:35 am
Hi,

I'm trying to wrap my head around limitations and restrictions when using plugins (Bassline, TubeSynth, Electric) on MPC hardware - MPC One i particular, but I guess they're all the same? - while in standalone mode:

#1 There can be 8 plugin programs used, but is it per PROJECT or per SEQUENCE? You can't play 2 sequences at one, so I'd imagine the latter?

#2 If I'd bounce a plugin track to audio (or resample the instrument to Keygroup) can I somehow disable the track & program to free up the slot discussed in #1, so that I can always go back, edit and re-bounce?

#3 If on track #2 in one sequence I'm using TubeSynth but in next sequence it's Electric and I'd want to export stems, will track #2 stem consist audio from both plugins, or will it be "exploded" to separate audio tracks?

#4 When song mode switches between sequences, is it a "hard" cut or are the instruments & FX (delays, reverbs, etc.) from previous sequence allowed to ring out, assuming there's enough polyphony available?

#5 If I'd hook up a controller to MPC One and map say a knob to Bassline's LP Filter, is this mapping per-program, so if I'd re-use this program accross various sequences the mapping would carry over?

Thanks in advance for any help with those :)
By bees80 Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:24 am
1. Why just not try it and see what happens? Or just read the manual.
2. Sure, but keep in mind you only have 8 audiotracks in standalone; if that's not enough, resample to a keygroup program indeed.
3. Read up on exploding tracks in the manual (link in signature)
4. see answer #1
5. Yes.
By antic604 Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:51 am
bees80 wrote:1. Why just not try it and see what happens? Or just read the manual.
2. Sure, but keep in mind you only have 8 audiotracks in standalone; if that's not enough, resample to a keygroup program indeed.
3. Read up on exploding tracks in the manual (link in signature)
4. see answer #1
5. Yes.

Thanks a lot, however:

#1 I've only ordered One this weekend - it should arrive by the end of the week, so I can't really try it :) . There's nothing in the Manual about plugin restrictions, believe me I looked. Even worse - page 112 of thr Manual for 2.8.1 even says that "Plugin programs are disabled" in standalone mode, despite the appending about 2.3 obviously states otherwise... I can't even confirm the info about 8 plugins max, which I guess I found somewhere on some forum. Is there such limitation in place?

#4 Thanks, I've actually missed the bit of info that in Song Mode all Sequences will use Programs used by 1st Sequence on each of the Tracks consistently, so this - while dissapointing in itself - replies my question ;)
By Lampdog Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:33 pm
#2 If I'd bounce a plugin track to audio (or resample the instrument to Keygroup) can I somehow disable the track & program to free up the slot discussed in #1, so that I can always go back, edit and re-bounce?
Save current sequence, save program......use your save features, use your track mutes, know your machine’s features (when you get it).

#3 If on track #2 in one sequence I'm using TubeSynth but in next sequence it's Electric and I'd want to export stems, will track #2 stem consist audio from both plugins, or will it be "exploded" to separate audio tracks?
MPC 2.8 manual pg 110.

#4 When song mode switches between sequences, is it a "hard" cut or are the instruments & FX (delays, reverbs, etc.) from previous sequence allowed to ring out, assuming there's enough polyphony available?
The song keeps on going smoothly. Audio length, note length, list edit events, polyphony, note on/off, all play a part in something “cutting out” at the end of any sequence. The “song mode” imo isn’t responsible for your programming ineptness.

Oh, so in other words you don't know. Thanks, that "helpful" :roll:
This draws people away.
By antic604 Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:38 pm
Lampdog wrote:#2 If I'd bounce a plugin track to audio (or resample the instrument to Keygroup) can I somehow disable the track & program to free up the slot discussed in #1, so that I can always go back, edit and re-bounce?
Save current sequence, save program......use your save features, use your track mutes, know your machine’s features (when you get it).

MPC 2.8 manual pg 110.

The song keeps on going smoothly. Audio length, note length, list edit events, polyphony, note on/off, all play a part in something “cutting out” at the end of any sequence. The “song mode” imo isn’t responsible for your programming ineptness.

This draws people away.

Awesome, thanks :worthy:

Although I still don't know if there's really 8 plugin limit and answer to 3 doesn't really make sense, if in Song Mode program used on a given track in 1st sequence will be used also on following tracks, even if originally there was a different one ;)

I guess I'll find all of this out this weekend :)
By Lampdog Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:42 pm
When you get your MPC try these things out, experiment, stuck on something not clear in the manual, c’mon back and post, maybe someone can help you get through it.

I’ve never looked into the plugin limit, 95% of the time use my hardware kybds.
By Lyricalgenius81 Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:32 pm
antic604 wrote:
bees80 wrote:Ah okay, you did not mention that.

Try it when you receive the mpc then, good luck.

I also find bees responses a complete waste of time.... here’s some advice bees don’t bother replying to people’s posts cos it’s laced with a certain arrogance that’s really not what forums are about!

:WTF:
By Lyricalgenius81 Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:38 pm
antic604 wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to wrap my head around limitations and restrictions when using plugins (Bassline, TubeSynth, Electric) on MPC hardware - MPC One i particular, but I guess they're all the same? - while in standalone mode:

#1 There can be 8 plugin programs used, but is it per PROJECT or per SEQUENCE? You can't play 2 sequences at one, so I'd imagine the latter?

#5 If I'd hook up a controller to MPC One and map say a knob to Bassline's LP Filter, is this mapping per-program, so if I'd re-use this program accross various sequences the mapping would carry over?

Thanks in advance for any help with those :)

I’m not sure on the answer for question #1 & #2 tbh I’ll leave that to someone else.

Question number three is a good one! If you create a song from the different sequences and you have different vst instrument plugins on different tracks you will end up in a shitstorm of issues! I learnt this the hard way.

It’s best practise (although somewhat clunky within the software) but you have to keep sequences organised so that all sequences tracks are matching . If you don’t you will end up with sequences playing the wrong instruments when you export the stems from song mode.

#4 yes in song mode the fx etc are allowed to ring out so it doesn’t cut things off instantly .

Cant help with # 5 either sorry
By Lampdog Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:44 pm
Question number three is a good one! If you create a song from the different sequences and you have different vst instrument plugins on different tracks you will end up in a shitstorm of issues! I learnt this the hard way.

It’s best practise (although somewhat clunky within the software) but you have to keep sequences organised so that all sequences tracks are matching . If you don’t you will end up with sequences playing the wrong instruments when you export the stems from song mode.

This has held true in all previous mpc’s (midi tracks), even non-mpc gear (asr-10, triton, asr x pro, kronos2, emu turbo phatt, ipad beatmaker3).

Make the track assignments match if song convert to sequence is gonna happen later. Once midi is recorded, leave it there and use another track.
By antic604 Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:35 pm
Lampdog wrote:Question number three is a good one! If you create a song from the different sequences and you have different vst instrument plugins on different tracks you will end up in a **** of issues! I learnt this the hard way.

This has held true in all previous mpc’s (midi tracks), even non-mpc gear (asr-10, triton, asr x pro, kronos2, emu turbo phatt, ipad beatmaker3).

Make the track assignments match if song convert to sequence is gonna happen later. Once midi is recorded, leave it there and use another track.

Well, it's this from the User Guide that threw me off and apparently is not very true - you still need to have empty parts in your sequences, like in every other DAW :)

Not a biggie, but they really could've made it clearer :Sigh:

By EnochLight Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:54 pm
antic604 wrote:I've only ordered (an MPC) One this weekend - it should arrive by the end of the week

Check your PM's. ;) It's in the upper right corner, click your "Account" button. Congrats on the MPC One - I'm actually a little shocked you bought one since you seemed to be leaning towards a Force.
By EnochLight Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:05 pm
antic604 wrote:Although I still don't know if there's really 8 plugin limit

Yes, there is an 8-plugin limit in standalone. It's per project, BTW (you can only load one project at a time). Each sequence can have up to 128 tracks, but only 8 of them can be plugins. For example, if you assign (say for instance) TubeSynth on track 1 in Sequencer 1, then it will remain on track 1 through any/all of your sequences. You'll need to create another track (for instance, track 2) and load a different plugin (or another instance of TubeSynth) if you want to have a different plugin or have a different preset loaded or tweak it unrelated to track 1.

And yes, you can bounce these to samples and load them in a Program to trigger, or create Clips out of them, and then use those tracks for something else. If you want to be able to go back and edit them, though, you'll need to save the sequence separately to re-load.