MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By jcnnr78 Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:30 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Are you blocking the side vents and what kind surface do you have it on? Remember that heat escapes from the bottom plate as well, so try to elevate the rear, 1 or 2 inches so that air can circulate.

The side vents were completely clear, i made sure of that since i began to notice the problem,I had it resting on a wooden desk, and i have tried to have it flat and also placed on a stand, always with the same result, but now that the technician has checked it, and agrees with me, it doesn't matter anymore.

Something very curious is that when the screen frame gets very warm, the temperature that comes out through that side vents , is completely cool (as in the rest of the machine)

Only the frame warms up, and i'm almost sure that it is some component of the screen that gives off the heat, since i have tried to see with a flashlight through the grids, and not even the cpu plate, nor the Psu, are touching the frame, so i think that the problem cannot come from those components.
By jcnnr78 Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:38 pm
saltmcgault wrote:
jcnnr78 wrote:
Do you have the screen mode on Day or Night?

I have the screen mode set to night and the screen saver set to kick in after 2 minutes idle.

If you want to make sure yours is in good shape, change the mode to "Day" and get to work hard for at least an hour and a half. So if you notice that the temperature is the same as in "Night" mode, you can be calm, but if instead, you notice that it warms up considerably, then you should think about contacting your seller.

Akai's technical service has told me that at the moment, they don't measure surface temperature, because they have no history of this type of problem, they have even offered to speak with my seller, to facilitate my replacement, but this have not been necessary.
By SakisX Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:07 pm
jcnnr78 wrote:Hey guys,
Finally my MPC One, has been returned to the seller, it has been checked by the store technician, and he has agreed with me that it gets too hot in that area, they have sent me a new unit that will be delivered on Monday, and once i have it, i will be able to check if everything is fine now, i will keep you informed.

If Akai replace it with a new one which doesn’t get warm ,it means some units have problem with screen’s inverter (the piece that powers the panel)
By jcnnr78 Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:43 pm
SakisX wrote:
jcnnr78 wrote:Hey guys,
Finally my MPC One, has been returned to the seller, it has been checked by the store technician, and he has agreed with me that it gets too hot in that area, they have sent me a new unit that will be delivered on Monday, and once i have it, i will be able to check if everything is fine now, i will keep you informed.

If Akai replace it with a new one which doesn’t get warm ,it means some units have problem with screen’s inverter (the piece that powers the panel)

Is not Akai directly, it's a store in Spain, but as I said in a comment a few hours ago, I have seen with a flashlight through the grids, and inside there is nothing touching the frame, other than the screen in itself, and I think I agree with you, the inverter can be a strong candidate.
By jcnnr78 Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:57 pm
SakisX wrote:If Akai replace it with a new one which doesn’t get warm ,it means some units have problem with screen’s inverter (the piece that powers the panel)

Curiously searching in google about "Touch screens that heat up + Inverter"

I have come across a thread from a Lenovo laptop, to which the same thing happens, it gets hot on the left side of the screen frame. :nod:

Finally when opening it, they found that a cable coming out of the inverter had been stepped on and was heating the frame and other components, so the solution was to insulate that cable, and the heat ended.

In this case, we are talking about a laptop, but perhaps this is the key to understanding what happens to some MPCs like mine.
By jcnnr78 Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:04 am
I want to report that a week ago, i have received the replacement of my MPC One.

Now everything works correctly, the heat it gives off is within normality for a device with these characteristics, the temperature measurements have not been so high as with the previous one, besides that now, if i stop touching the screen for a few minutes, the area cools down considerably (the previous One continued to heat up).

Now i'm calm and enjoying my One, so if someone is having the same problem as me, please try to contact the seller and replace it while possible.

Many thanks to everyone who has tried to help.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:14 am
jcnnr78 wrote:I want to report that a week ago, i have received the replacement of my MPC One.

Now everything works correctly, the heat it gives off is within normality for a device with these characteristics, the temperature measurements have not been so high as with the previous one, besides that now, if i stop touching the screen for a few minutes, the area cools down considerably (the previous One continued to heat up).

Now i'm calm and enjoying my One, so if someone is having the same problem as me, please try to contact the seller and replace it while possible.

Glad to hear that it worked out for you. :nod:
By SakisX Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:31 pm
jcnnr78 wrote:I want to report that a week ago, i have received the replacement of my MPC One.

Thank you for reporting back . I thought it was just how Akai designed it.
Just to clarify , in "day" mode ,after 5 minutes without screensaver it behaves better now?
By jcnnr78 Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:37 pm
SakisX wrote:Thank you for reporting back . I thought it was just how Akai designed it.
Just to clarify , in "day" mode ,after 5 minutes without screensaver it behaves better now?

I have not tried, i always use the "Day - 2 Minutes" mode, but believe me, now i have it on for hours, and at times i'm editing for more than half an hour without letting the screen dim

I have done many temperature measurements in the last week, and even though i was using it for twice as long, none comes close to the behavior of the previous one.

Anyway, who has had the last word, has been the technician of the store where i bought it, he has tried it and has called me saying that i was right, and they have sent me the new One. :-D
By SakisX Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:55 pm
So, I spoke to Thomann (the shop I got it) and told me that I have to contact Akai :Sigh:
It has 3 years warranty ,so I hope Akai will answer in time....
I'm 100% sure that it won't last a year on day mode...it can get so warm that touch control is useless ...
By Funkyswitches Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:31 pm
My One has the same symptoms. Gets hot on day brightness setting, but not so much on night. I use a small computer type fan up against the left side, drawing air through the One. Even on day the fan keeps the temps down to nothing.
By SakisX Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:21 am
Funkyswitches wrote:My One has the same symptoms. Gets hot on day brightness setting, but not so much on night. I use a small computer type fan up against the left side, drawing air through the One. Even on day the fan keeps the temps down to nothing.

You reminded me that Akai never really answered. :Sigh:
I use it mainly in night mode , plus it's winter (lower ambient temperatures) , so totally forgot about it ...
By Ultros Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:12 am
Mine came doing this strait out the box, night mode fw. day mode is eye-searing. I think all of our units do it to be honest. Like any embedded device, tablet, cellphone, etc etc the more juice you give the screen the warmer its going to get. I've kinda haxored my mpc quite a bit and set my brightness blow what akai's lowest bright setting is because even on its lowest setting i felt the display was to bright and using more energy than i wanted to use.
By SakisX Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:35 am
Ultros wrote:Mine came doing this strait out the box, night mode fw. day mode is eye-searing. I think all of our units do it to be honest. Like any embedded device, tablet, cellphone, etc etc the more juice you give the screen the warmer its going to get. I've kinda haxored my mpc quite a bit and set my brightness blow what akai's lowest bright setting is because even on its lowest setting i felt the display was to bright and using more energy than i wanted to use.

It's normal if it gets warm , we're talking about getting real hot in a specific region .
Also if you read previous posts it's about defect , the replacement unit doesn't get hot.
And if you get the Mpc One outdoors in a shiny day you need to enable day mode :)
By Elijah Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:30 pm
This happens to mine too, it gets warm in the top left corner of the screen.
When plugins are loaded, the pads also get warm.