MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By EnochLight Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:09 pm
jcnnr78 wrote:I have measured the temperature that the area gives off, and it is between 39 - 42 ºC (102 - 107 ºF) depending on whether I use the screen or it is dimmed.

Thanks!

That's completely fine - only several degrees warmer than a human body (well, with COVID-19).. :lol:

That said, I've got the Live 2 and even with my screen set to always on, never dim and the brightness set to "Day", it averages around 82 F (27.7 C) on the right side after being ran for 20-30 minutes, but clearly runs warmer on the left side at around 98 F to 101 F (36.6 C to 38.3 C) on the very left edge (where the Menu icons reside). It tends to run warmest in the very upper left corner area.

Looks like the MPC One is certainly running warmer in comparison, but that's well within the screen's thermal tolerance. I wouldn't be concerned. Hell, my coffee averages 121 F (49.4 C) and I can easily drink that without injury! :nod: :lol:
By jcnnr78 Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:46 pm
SakisX wrote:Mine is ok by setting the screen brightness to night mode :)

Seems that it's working for me too, but then, i wonder why call the screen modes "Day and Night", when you can call them "Normal and Self-destruct"?

I will discuss this with the tech service on Monday

Thanks! :worthy: :popcorn:
By jcnnr78 Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:02 pm
EnochLight wrote:
jcnnr78 wrote:I have measured the temperature that the area gives off, and it is between 39 - 42 ºC (102 - 107 ºF) depending on whether I use the screen or it is dimmed.

Thanks!

That's completely fine - only several degrees warmer than a human body (well, with COVID-19).. :lol:

That said, I've got the Live 2 and even with my screen set to always on, never dim and the brightness set to "Day", it averages around 82 F (27.7 C) on the right side after being ran for 20-30 minutes, but clearly runs warmer on the left side at around 98 F to 101 F (36.6 C to 38.3 C) on the very left edge (where the Menu icons reside). It tends to run warmest in the very upper left corner area.

Looks like the MPC One is certainly running warmer in comparison, but that's well within the screen's thermal tolerance. I wouldn't be concerned. Hell, my coffee averages 121 F (49.4 C) and I can easily drink that without injury! :nod: :lol:

The technician with whom i spoke, thinks that not seem normal that the surface reaches 42ºC, (yesterday i have measured 43ºC) the next thing was to ask me the specifications of the power supply.

98 F to 101 F (36.6 C to 38.3 C) That is the temperature i have now that i set Night mode, it seems that the One heats up a bit more, but i wonder if they all heats up , or only those of us who wrote in this thread.

Do you have truthful information about the thermal tolerance of the components? including screen? where can i see it?
By mpBanga Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:47 pm
saltmcgault wrote:
biomaskin wrote: I didn't use plugins, and it have been in Sampler mode since this morning

While you are on the topic about hot screens make sure to set your screen saver to turn on after 2 minutes of being idle and set your screen display to night time to avoid screen burn. Save your work and shut her down if you are not going to be on it.

This advice reminds me of my first MPC X debacle lol ....got those settings on the second one, along with the bubble wrap :lol:
By jcnnr78 Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:19 pm
mpBanga wrote:Haven't noticed that on my one to be honest....

Do you have the screen mode on Day or Night?

Now i have it in Night mode, and it does seem like a normal temperature, but if I put it in Day mode, the brightness rises a little more (an insignificant increase) but the temperature of that area rises 4ºC more

now what i need to know is if it's a generalized behavior, or maybe a strange behavior of only some units like mine
By EnochLight Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:01 pm
jcnnr78 wrote:Do you have truthful information about the thermal tolerance of the components? including screen? where can i see it?

Did you not see the part about my coffee temperature? If you can drink a cup of coffee safely that is many degrees hotter than what you're reporting, it seems pretty clear that the electronics will be fine.

I mean, measure the temperature of any warm/hot beverage that you yourself drink if you want to confirm... Is your MPC One's screen cooler? :nod:
By jcnnr78 Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:26 pm
EnochLight wrote:
jcnnr78 wrote:Do you have truthful information about the thermal tolerance of the components? including screen? where can i see it?

Did you not see the part about my coffee temperature? If you can drink a cup of coffee safely that is many degrees hotter than what you're reporting, it seems pretty clear that the electronics will be fine.

I mean, measure the temperature of any warm/hot beverage that you yourself drink if you want to confirm... Is your MPC One's screen cooler? :nod:

And you have seen the part in which i say that the left part of the screen of my MPC reaches 43ºC (109ºF) and that the Technician has said that it does not seem like a normal temperature?

That you say that because you can have a coffee at 50ºC, then an electronic component will withstand that temperature for years, it does not seem to have much "scientific" foundation.

My Mpc, with the screen in "Day" mode, heats up almost like a laptop with a clogged fan, and that has never been good for any electronic equipment.
By EnochLight Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:38 pm
jcnnr78 wrote:And you have seen the part in which i say that the left part of the screen of my MPC reaches 43ºC (109ºF) and that the Technician has said that it does not seem like a normal temperature?

That you say that because you can have a coffee at 50ºC, then an electronic component will withstand that temperature for years, it does not seem to have much "scientific" foundation.

My Mpc, with the screen in "Day" mode, heats up almost like a laptop with a clogged fan, and that has never been good for any electronic equipment.

I never said the technicians statement wasn't valid; I'm merely stating that - regarding your screen's temps - virtually ANY electronics should easily withstand that sort of temperature. Basic high school physics, man. Plastic used in electronics doesn't melt at temperatures colder than a warm coffee. Silicon doesn't melt. Metal wire doesn't melt. LCD displays don't melt. It's all within their thermal tolerance. If it's not, then its horribly designed electronics held together by hopes and unicorn kisses.

Regardless, let us know what you decide to do. :popcorn:
By biomaskin Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:18 am
EnochLight wrote:I'm merely stating that - regarding your screen's temps - virtually ANY electronics should easily withstand that sort of temperature. Basic high school physics, man. Plastic used in electronics doesn't melt at temperatures colder than a warm coffee. Silicon doesn't melt. Metal wire doesn't melt. LCD displays don't melt. It's all within their thermal tolerance. If it's not, then its horribly designed electronics held together by hopes and unicorn kisses.

That's not a good argument.
There might be other issues besides the heat actually melting components inside the MPC.

If my laptop or phone doesn't heat up; why should my MPC?

:hmmm:
By saltmcgault Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:53 am
jcnnr78 wrote:
Do you have the screen mode on Day or Night?

I have the screen mode set to night and the screen saver set to kick in after 2 minutes idle.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:13 pm
Are you blocking the side vents and what kind surface do you have it on? Remember that heat escapes from the bottom plate as well, so try to elevate the rear, 1 or 2 inches so that air can circulate.
By EnochLight Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:25 pm
biomaskin wrote:If my laptop or phone doesn't heat up; why should my MPC?

That's not a good argument either, actually. :lol:

Anyway, I'm not saying the user doesn't have an issue with their MPC. I am saying with certainty that the temps being reported on the screen don't appear to be extreme, IMHO. Regardless, I'm sure they'll get it checked out. :)
By biomaskin Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:37 am
EnochLight wrote:
biomaskin wrote:If my laptop or phone doesn't heat up; why should my MPC?

That's not a good argument either, actually. :lol:

Anyway, I'm not saying the user doesn't have an issue with their MPC. I am saying with certainty that the temps being reported on the screen don't appear to be extreme, IMHO. Regardless, I'm sure they'll get it checked out. :)

My laptop, phone, and MPC are all pretty similiar devices though. I'm not even sure which are the most powerful; maybe my phone (Huawei P30 Pro). It's on all the time, screen is very bright; and it never gets warm.
By jcnnr78 Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:10 pm
Hey guys,
Finally my MPC One, has been returned to the seller, it has been checked by the store technician, and he has agreed with me that it gets too hot in that area, they have sent me a new unit that will be delivered on Monday, and once i have it, i will be able to check if everything is fine now, i will keep you informed.