MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By robleighton22 Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:29 pm
MPC is an excellent sequencer but it's very linear and the keystep pro offers a ton of great performance tricks. Put this way, I wouldn't just use a keystep pro as only device for sequencing, whereas you could just use an MPC as your only device for sequencing, but the key step pro will help creativity and is a different style of pattern generation. So defo good combo.
By Danoc Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:18 am
Oh ok. Thanks for that info.

robleighton22 wrote:MPC is an excellent sequencer but it's very linear and the keystep pro offers a ton of great performance tricks. Put this way, I wouldn't just use a keystep pro as only device for sequencing, whereas you could just use an MPC as your only device for sequencing, but the key step pro will help creativity and is a different style of pattern generation. So defo good combo.
By Fre$hBreath Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:51 am
robleighton22 wrote:MPC is an excellent sequencer but it's very linear and the keystep pro offers a ton of great performance tricks. Put this way, I wouldn't just use a keystep pro as only device for sequencing, whereas you could just use an MPC as your only device for sequencing, but the key step pro will help creativity and is a different style of pattern generation. So defo good combo.

Right on!
By bees80 Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:26 am
EnochLight wrote:
bees80 wrote:Perhaps only for the 16 step button drum programming... On the MPC it really sucks.

:hmmm:

Disagree. Drum programming on the MPC rocks. Certainly doesn't suck.

I'm talking about the step sequencer of the mpc vs. the x0x way of progamming drums like on the classic roland drum machines... It's totally different and on the mpc it's just dumb. But perhaps you like it yeah... :nod:
By EnochLight Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:42 pm

This was the answer that I was looking for. :worthy:

bees80 wrote:I'm talking about the step sequencer of the mpc vs. the x0x way of progamming drums like on the classic roland drum machines... It's totally different and on the mpc it's just dumb. But perhaps you like it yeah... :nod:

I don't like it because it is dumb. I like it because it works. I do have a TR-8 though, and I can see why that approach might be preferred.
By bees80 Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:37 pm
Dumb was not the right word, i guess cumbersome would apply better, especially if you are used to sequencing x0x style like on a tr-8.

I guess the keystep would come in handy if you want to do polyrythm sequencing. How much fun would it be if mpc's have this?
By Cases Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:54 am
bees80 wrote:Dumb was not the right word, i guess cumbersome would apply better, especially if you are used to sequencing x0x style like on a tr-8.

I guess the keystep would come in handy if you want to do polyrythm sequencing. How much fun would it be if mpc's have this?

MPC are able to this for 20years, it just the new ones that don't support it. Besides that, you really are limited with 16step sequencers and drumloops.. other than 4x 4kick house music a step sequencer is useless for making hiphop. damn, its the sole reason MPCs are even popular, what world do you live in dude xDDDD
By bees80 Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:41 am
Cases wrote:
bees80 wrote:Dumb was not the right word, i guess cumbersome would apply better, especially if you are used to sequencing x0x style like on a tr-8.

MPC are able to this for 20years, it just the new ones that don't support it. Besides that, you really are limited with 16step sequencers and drumloops.. other than 4x 4kick house music a step sequencer is useless for making hiphop. damn, its the sole reason MPCs are even popular, what world do you live in dude xDDDD

Well i guess you are in a very limited world if you can't be creative with a step sequencer, if you think you can only make 4x4 kick house music on it. But that you are a bit limited in general is proven already...
By Cases Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:56 pm
bees80 wrote:Well i guess you are in a very limited world if you can't be creative with a step sequencer, if you think you can only make 4x4 kick house music on it. But that you are a bit limited in general is proven already...

Sound = time
Resolution = control =
16 steps is (extremely) limited.

Its not opinion, its fact. It the ONLY fact why MPCs are as POPULAR as you know them, resolution and control over the time you have in a bar. But yeah, J dilla and qtip totally rocked those signature beat with a step sequencer lmfao.
By bees80 Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:28 pm
Cases wrote:
bees80 wrote:Well i guess you are in a very limited world if you can't be creative with a step sequencer, if you think you can only make 4x4 kick house music on it. But that you are a bit limited in general is proven already...

Sound = time
Resolution = control =
16 steps is (extremely) limited.

Its not opinion, its fact. It the ONLY fact why MPCs are as POPULAR as you know them, resolution and control over the time you have in a bar. But yeah, J dilla and qtip totally rocked those signature beat with a step sequencer lmfao.

like i said, you have proven to be pretty limited yourself in your thinking and acting, and there you go again. :nod:
By Cases Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:36 pm
bees80 wrote:
like i said, you have proven to be pretty limited yourself in your thinking and acting, and there you go again. :nod:

says the one talking about the step-seq functionality on a MPC The most iconic functionality AKAI is known for, right?

Goodbye sir, it was a boring day at work but you provided enough entertainment to fill it up atleast.