MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By bees80 Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:25 am
I think I have found the issue and I think it's not possible to use the pads to play instruments in ableton if it's connected via USB, because there is no dedicated midi usb driver for the mpc live that you can install and select in ableton. (please someone correct me if i'm wrong). I've also tried connecting it using the akai midi network driver and use the live integration, but this is only for control (and works pretty buggy i must say).

However, there's another way: If you get a usb midi interface, you can connect it to the MPC's midi output. Then you will be able in ableton to select it as an input, because you are using the usb midi interface and this will show up under your midi inputs in ableton.

You can get something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/TENINYU-Synthesi ... 306&sr=8-9

And for more info how to set it up, check this video
By Begbie Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:24 pm
had the same problem. something obviously changed between 2.7 and 2.8. try the following:
select your midi track, go to track mode. in column "output" enter "mpc"...
By Jazzcabbage Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:40 am
Bump. Did Akai ever address this and if not the only workaround to this is to plug the MPC into (another) USB MIDI interface via MIDI din? Seems counterintuitive?
By Monotremata Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:17 pm
Its been addressed since day 1 but apparently nobody knows how to use it. The Akai Network MIDI app can do all this if you have an ethernet adapter connected to the MPC. Otherwise, USB was intended to work with a USB MIDI Interface. You cant just plug a USB cable in and send MIDI data over it. You either buy an interface, or you buy an ethernet adapter and use it that way. And yes the MPC can trigger and play tracks in Ableton, Cubase Pro, and Logic Pro just fine when its setup properly.
By Certified Beatz Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:44 pm
Since updating to 2.10.1 on my X usb over ethernet drops out in cubase... I believe I'm going to just go straight midi into my Motu 828es... it's a pain but I know it's on PC side ....I have alot using usb such a controller surfaces usb keylab mk2 and komplete kontrol A25 and Mikro mk3 so I believe ita on my end...
By Monotremata Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:53 pm
Certified Beatz wrote:Since updating to 2.10.1 on my X usb over ethernet drops out in cubase... I believe I'm going to just go straight midi into my Motu 828es... it's a pain but I know it's on PC side ....I have alot using usb such a controller surfaces usb keylab mk2 and komplete kontrol A25 and Mikro mk3 so I believe ita on my end...

Yeah I have a pair of MIDI cables going into my MOTU 828X just in case too haha. Weird that you're having trouble in Cubase. I'm running Pro 11 here (whatever the latest update is) and haven't had any trouble yet, but so far all I've done is sync the MPC with MIDI Clock or MTC so I can track all my stuff when I'm finished on the MPC (Im on a Mac too in case that matters). Once I'm finally finished with the batch of stuff I'm working on, Ill probably jump in and see how well the MPC holds up alongside a Cubase Project (use the MPC for drums and whatnot, let Cubase play with the softsynths, etc). Its been pretty smooth so far and re-learning how to use Cubase after 20 years has been pretty fun hehe.
By Certified Beatz Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:42 am
Monotremata wrote:
Certified Beatz wrote:Since updating to 2.10.1 on my X usb over ethernet drops out in cubase... I believe I'm going to just go straight midi into my Motu 828es... it's a pain but I know it's on PC side ....I have alot using usb such a controller surfaces usb keylab mk2 and komplete kontrol A25 and Mikro mk3 so I believe ita on my end...

Yeah I have a pair of MIDI cables going into my MOTU 828X just in case too haha. Weird that you're having trouble in Cubase. I'm running Pro 11 here (whatever the latest update is) and haven't had any trouble yet, but so far all I've done is sync the MPC with MIDI Clock or MTC so I can track all my stuff when I'm finished on the MPC (Im on a Mac too in case that matters). Once I'm finally finished with the batch of stuff I'm working on, Ill probably jump in and see how well the MPC holds up alongside a Cubase Project (use the MPC for drums and whatnot, let Cubase play with the softsynths, etc). Its been pretty smooth so far and re-learning how to use Cubase after 20 years has been pretty fun hehe.

I have my firewall turned off and still allow apps through and still drops out I don't use my PC connected to the internet... but midi cables will work fine
By Wiredo Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:39 am
really retarded, since when cant a usb cable trigger a vst in a daw, only din old school works on this keys 61 too, hard to believe
By mpc_fan_2022 Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:13 am
Wiredo wrote:really retarded, since when cant a usb cable trigger a vst in a daw, only din old school works on this keys 61 too, hard to believe

So basically, it's impossible to use a MPC X/Live/One via USB/MIDI like a MPD controller right? It's either Ethernet with a proprietary driver or MIDI DIN OUT? If true this is beyond stupid for a $1500 device with a USB Connection, it means that the MPC is not MIDI class compliant itself.
By 83dude Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:59 pm
Use MIDI Control mode. See manual py 318 (manual version 2.11.2).