MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By GCassavetes Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:45 am
Hi,

I am sending midi messages from an Arturia BeatStep Pro via my MPC Live, to my other external devices (in this specific case a ZOIA).

I am successfully able to change MIDI CC values on the ZOIA, however I am unable to send program change messages.

I can see on the MPC that it is receiving both the CC and program changes messages, but only the CC change seems to be getting to the ZOIA. If I take the MPC out of the equations, the program change on the ZOIA works as expected.

I have tried changing the midi input program change setting on the MPC, but none of the options give the desired result.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Gareth
By GCassavetes Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:25 am
hausa buga wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiYMGBpcTx0

helped me :)

thank you, i'm able to send the message direct from the MPC to the ZOIA OK, but what i really want to do is send the message from an external controller (in this case an Arturia BeatStep Pro) via the MPC
By dylanfree Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:57 am
Same issue here using MPC X 2.9.1 Standalone.

Program Change(PC), Control Change (CC), and Note messages from my MIDI controllers are are seen by MPC MIDI Monitor on the way IN, but only CC and Note go OUT, the PCs are dropped.

None of my MIDI Controllers can switch patches on my sound modules unless I take MPC X out of the loop.

Is everything one else still broke with this?
By TheGarnet Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:17 pm
I think I am having this same problem too, with midi streams I am sending from my Roland PMA-5 that have a lot of embedded Program Change commands to set different GM midi instruments. They are all missing from the recording made by the Akai.

It is frustrating that someone at Akai must have had to write extra code just to filter out these messages! Frustrating that we are forced to run crippled code on what is otherwise a great product.
By algx Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:53 am
It's pretty depressing to find that this oversight (if that's what it is) has not been addressed since this post and many others since 2020. Program change messages are pretty fundamental to a live setup and the inability of the MPC to record PC messages and retransmit or even offer a midi thru for PC messages from external controllers is bizarre.
If they sell this product as a midi hub / central control sequencer then this is a major omission to say the least.
I find myself leaving my MPC switched off more and more as I encounter more dead ends.
By jamos Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:34 pm
What version are you using?

Make sure that the midi filter for the track is set to pass program changes, and that in the MIDI preferences screen, the MPC is set to not respond to program changes. I have not tried it, but I would expect that both of those would be required in order to pass program changes.

Finally, if those don't work, you can always send the program changes from the MPC itself. You can either use automation, or simply set the initial value in the main screen.