MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By GhostInTheSky Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:38 pm
Hi all

I'm having an issue on my MPC Live recording audio tracks from Midi Devices into the MPC Live. I have a Korg Minilogue (via USB) and a Korg Volca (via pin cable)
Basically, if I try and record the audio track that they're routed through (Minilogue into Input 1; Volca into Input 2) then whichever track I'm trying to record de-arms after a split-second and nothing gets recorded in.

The Sequence will still keep playing (synth is doing its thing, Volca is banging along) but the track just won't stay armed to record.

But then, in Sample Editor, there'll be a sample of the split-second of recording just before the track de-armed (either Minilogue or Volca)

Otherwise, everything else works well. If I try and record directly into the Sample Recorder, no problem. (But then I have to go back and trim/re-sync that sample etc etc).
I can use the Minilogue to play and record plugins no problem, for example. Can use the Live to play the Minilogue no problem. Can hear everything fine. Everything is synced etc etc...it's just this.

I'm not trying to record simultaneously - just one track at a time.

So...what am I missing? What am I doing wrong? Is there a checkbox I've missed? Have I got the monitoring wrong (I don't think so...I can hear everything...)?
I've checked manuals, have run step-by-step through the MPC Tutor MIDI tutorials...but I seem to have everything in order. Until I hit record.

Setup is:
MPC Live in Standalone mode
Minilogue via USB/ into Audio Input 1
Volca via pin MIDI/ into Audio Input 2
8 bar sequence (not sure that matters here - the issue happens regardless)
Erm...what else?

Cheers!
By GhostInTheSky Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:09 pm
Alright, so...after this bit of feedback from starwatcher ( :worthy: )...I dug into this a bit more.
So, it appears that the Minilogue may NOT actually be class-compliant for MIDI over USB...so I'll NEVER get the MPC to run as the master for it?
(The hint came in the Korg manual where it was just a USB-B connection...)

So, I've either got to run it via two MIDI pin cables (ugh...) OR...just live with the situation via USB and use either the Looper or the Sampler

That's...disappointing. At least in Standalone mode, anyway...

Unless anyone's got any other advice?
By EnochLight Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:27 pm
To be clear, you have the original Minilogue and not the more recent Minilogue XD? I’ve got the XD as well as a Volca so can test the exact same setup as you with my XD.
By EnochLight Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:12 pm
*UPDATE: so I just hooked my Live 2, Volca Drum (via CV), and Minilogue XD (via USB). Assigned the Volca to input 1; the XD to input 2. Created MIDI/CV tracks for each; created an audio track for each and assigned them to their respective inputs.

Just as long as I attempt to record 1 audio track at a time, everything works fine. I'm letting my Volca drum along with its own internal sequencer; I'm triggering my XD with the MPC, but I just ran a built-in preset sequence on the XD and recorded the MIDI data into my MPC, then turned off the XD's sequencer. Then I switched to the audio track I have my XD assigned to, armed it for record, and recorded the audio being triggered by my MPC's sequencer (triggering the XD). Audio recorded fine.

Are you sure you have your Minilogue set up right in the MIDI settings? As far as I know, the XD and the original Mini operate the same as far as USB MIDI is concerned...
By GhostInTheSky Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:03 pm
EnochLight wrote:To be clear, you have the original Minilogue and not the more recent Minilogue XD? I’ve got the XD as well as a Volca so can test the exact same setup as you with my XD.

Yeah, that's right. I have the original Minilogue. Not the XD

If you reckon they're the same for USB types, that's promising. And it's possible I've got the Minilogue configured wrong, so I'd be interested in what your config is (i.e. on the MIDI/Sync page of the Live, and also the MIDI settings on the Mini)

Appreciate you having a looking at this, mate!
Last edited by GhostInTheSky on Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By EnochLight Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:46 pm
GhostInTheSky wrote:Yeah, that's right. I have the original Minilogue. Not the XD

If you reckon they're the same for USB types, that's promising. And it's possible I've got the Minilogue configured wrong, so I'd be interested in what your config is (i.e. on the MIDI/Sync page of the Live, and also the MIDI settings on the Mini)

Appreciate you having a looking at this, mate!

No problem! I'm not in my studio right now, so I can't take a screen cap of what I have my Live 2's MID/Sync settings at, but I can say with certainty that I didn't change any settings on my actual XD at all - I just plugged it in via USB and left everything at factory defaults.

I can trigger my XD from my Live 2's pads; I can trigger my MPC pads (synths, keygroups, etc) from my XD as a controller; I can record MIDI data from my XD's sequencer into my Live 2's sequencer; I can navigate/change presets on my XD from my Live 2's big knob (well, up to 100 anyway - haven't figured out how to get past 100 presets yet). :hmmm: :lol:
By GhostInTheSky Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:53 am
Yep - 100% the same. I can do all those things as you. And while I've had a look at my Minilogue settings, they're at what they were when I just plugged in the USB. ONLY issue is the Audio Track record.
So if you get a chance to post a couple of screen caps, that would be brilliant!
By turnipwagon Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:42 pm
83dude wrote:Yep, that‘s weird. I experienced the same with the MPC as slace- even MIDI recording cuts out after sequence end.

I've raised it as a bug... fingers crossed it'll one day get fixed.
I wonder if running the MPC software as a VST in a DAW, and recording via the MPCs audio ins would be a work around? Anyone tried that? :)
By HouseWithoutMouse Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:46 am
No audio recording if MPC or Force is MIDI clock slave. It's been like that forever. I don't think they'll ever fix it, because fixing it would require adding new and better "audio warping" related features. On sample-accurate level, even when the master is not trying to change the tempo, MIDI clock fluctuates quite a lot, even with the best clock sources. And it CAN actually try to change the tempo, that's the whole point of MIDI clock. And then the recording device would have to time-stamp the recorded audio all the time, and time-stretch it accordingly on playback, when it's playing back to a new different tempo. And on playback the tempo WILL always be different, because with MIDI clock, the tempo always, constantly changes. Every tick-to-tick time interval is almost always a bit different than the previous one. It's like syncing tape machines. Akai can't do it for audio. Ableton can.