MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By EnochLight Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:51 pm
Saw these over at the GS Force thread (thanks to @kcearl for the share). Do you think this sort of workflow will have a place (and eventually find itself) on the MPC One/Live/X series?

By 40Beatz Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:39 pm
That looks good!
By elstebbano Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:46 pm
well, I really think that workflow has a place in the live/x/one series..
If I could choose in the menu of, for example the live, if i want to use the old arranger of that new daw style arranger, I would instantly, without a doubt choose the new one..Really like that, hopefully they bring it to the live!
Last edited by elstebbano on Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By antic604 Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:46 pm
I don't see how that would fit into sequence / track / program paradigm?
Obviously I wouldn't mind it, though.
But really, it would be enough if AKAI added alias tracks, i.e. MIDI data that when used in multiple sequences is all updated together when one is edited.
And some f**king MIDI editing improvements, like painting notes by dragging on the timeline, changing note length or panning/zooming without needing to switch tools, etc.
By EnochLight Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:56 pm
Certified Beatz wrote:Nice what vendor is this from? Looks like the akai gui..

What vendor? It's from Akai.. that's the Arranger view running on an actual Akai Force currently being beta tested. :wink:
By Eyalc Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:13 pm
The MPC is a great *beat* production platform. But as a *song* production platform it has fallen far behind. And IMO this is arguably the most important improvement they need to bring to the MPC, if they ever want the MPC to enter "big boy" status as a song production platform, and if they want people to take it more seriously in a professional setting. The way it is now, it's all about doing what needs done in the MPC, and exporting the stems as soon as possible to a more mature platform with mature song arrangement capabilities.
By antic604 Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:22 pm
Eyalc wrote:The MPC is a great *beat* production platform. But as a *song* production platform it has fallen far behind. And IMO this is arguably the most important improvement they need to bring to the MPC, if they ever want the MPC to enter "big boy" status as a song production platform, and if they want people to take it more seriously in a professional setting. The way it is now, it's all about doing what needs done in the MPC, and exporting the stems as soon as possible to a more mature platform with mature song arrangement capabilities.

I don't really get it:
- how are you gonna marry current MPC paradigms with arranger?
- how is current MPC workflow bad for song writing?
- currently in single project you can have multiple separate ideas, that you can mix & match however you want on the fly - how would you do it with linear arranger?
By Eyalc Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:34 pm
antic604 wrote:
Eyalc wrote:The MPC is a great *beat* production platform. But as a *song* production platform it has fallen far behind. And IMO this is arguably the most important improvement they need to bring to the MPC, if they ever want the MPC to enter "big boy" status as a song production platform, and if they want people to take it more seriously in a professional setting. The way it is now, it's all about doing what needs done in the MPC, and exporting the stems as soon as possible to a more mature platform with mature song arrangement capabilities.

I don't really get it:
- currently in single project you can have multiple separate ideas, that you can mix & match however you want on the fly - how would you do it with linear arranger?

- I don't think it's easy to do given the current paradigm, hence why it's still based on 1997 concepts.
- I don't know if it's bad for song writing or not. I'm referring to song *production*. Try recording a verse over 16 bars - rapping or singing - then try to edit the music (the midi) to make sure everything is in the pocket, then try to move a keyboard riff three bars later to fit the vocals better, then try adding an acoustic guitar part, and then edit the vocals to adjust the timing. It's not impossible to do - but it's nowhere near easy. A linear view would make this type of stuff SO much easier.
- I only know Logic, so speaking from that context - it's extremely easy to do. Markers, midi blocks, audio blocks (I'm using old terms I know).
By Danoc Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:15 pm
AND BAMMMMM! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

By Danoc Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:21 pm
Eyalc said nothing about SONG WRITING , SONG PRODUCTION is what he is talking about and l understand him fully. When l had my live l would never attempt to do song mode production in it. I exported those stems and brought them into Reason.

antic604 wrote:I don't really get it:
By NearTao Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:49 pm
Ableton Live really refined this workflow what... fifteen or more years ago...

The problem isn't the program to track to sequence paradigm... it's fine for kicking things off...

It's the requirement to hold sequences as they way to build a song... that is the problem for me. When it works it works... but when it fails it always takes a digger.

Essentially divorcing arrangements from sequences allows far more flexibility in song structures because you're not forced to think "Intro/Verse/Bridge/Chorus/Main/etc"... and can instead focus on the feel of the music more holistically.

Personally I wouldn't say that the sequence mode is useless... but bringing in an arranger that would allow you to import sequences and then play whatever you wanted from a variety of sequences is where we can get to some next level music production in the MPC. Clip mode certainly could have helped here... but as it stands it is too cumbersome to export tracks to the looper and then send it to a clip that you *still* have to fix the warp and bpm on it.