MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By @RedPandaMusik Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:33 am
Hi all. First time poster, long time MPC fanatic. I purchased a 2000xl brand new in 2001 with my first ever “grown up” tax return. The year prior to purchase , I managed to print out the entire manual. I kept it in my bathroom and read it cover to cover. Once I had the funds, I pulled the trigger. I wore my baby OUT. I used every feature and created thousands of hours of art on my 2Kxl. Then life happened and we parted ways.

After a 10+ year hiatus, I’m back in the game with an MPC One that arrived last week. It’s like riding a bike and it feels SO GOOD.

My first question: is it possible to enable negative swing? With 50% being essentially zero (I.e. hard quantize), how do I go below that? How can I add late/negative swing, I.e. 40%? I understand the workflow in grid mode for moving notes off the grid and manually creating “late notes”, but is there a button input that will let me drop the swing below 50%?

I searched to no avail.

Second thing, as an offering to the community - check this picture out. The human in this picture is now starting her first year of college:

By NearTao Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:57 am
Cannot see your pic... so not sure what you are posting.

As far as "negative swing"... yeah some software lets you do this... possibly some hardware... but I think on the 2kxl you're looking at either turning quantize off, or just recording audio so you can set hits wherever you want.
By Danoc Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:30 pm

@RedPandaMusik wrote:Hi all. First time poster, long time MPC fanatic. I purchased a 2000xl brand new in 2001 with my first ever “grown up” tax return. The year prior to purchase , I managed to print out the entire manual. I kept it in my bathroom and read it cover to cover. Once I had the funds, I pulled the trigger. I wore my baby OUT. I used every feature and created thousands of hours of art on my 2Kxl. Then life happened and we parted ways.

After a 10+ year hiatus, I’m back in the game with an MPC One that arrived last week. It’s like riding a bike and it feels SO GOOD.

My first question: is it possible to enable negative swing? With 50% being essentially zero (I.e. hard quantize), how do I go below that? How can I add late/negative swing, I.e. 40%? I understand the workflow in grid mode for moving notes off the grid and manually creating “late notes”, but is there a button input that will let me drop the swing below 50%?

I searched to no avail.

Second thing, as an offering to the community - check this picture out. The human in this picture is now starting her first year of college:

By Cases Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:01 am
There is no MPC that can do this, AFAIK.

What I do is playing my own unquantized bars but when I don't, I just take the even 16ths (2, 4, 6, 8) and put those on a different track so you can just select them all and drag them to your likings, result: ultra swing with no limits ;).
By richie Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:00 pm
You could utilize shift and move forward or back just fine.
By DeaDeus Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:30 pm
nope, not possible. I bought a fairly cheap mini keyboard (Novation Impulse25) using the ARP with quantizing switched off on MPCX. The Impulse can do a lot of things MPCX is not able to.
Quote from the Impulse manual explains it all - especial the last sentence :-)
"Swing (Swing)
If this parameter is set to something other than its default value of 50, some further interesting rhythmic effects can be obtained. Higher values of Swing lengthen the interval between odd and even notes, while the even-to-odd intervals are correspondingly shortened. Lower values have the opposite effect. This is an effect which is easier to experiment with than describe!"

EDIT:
Important: if you purchase one of those - update to latest level!!!! There is a bug in the ARP in earlier versions. I bought it second hand, because the guy was too stupid to read the support pages. You might be able to shoot one cheap too..... indication of the error is that the 4th and 8th pad does not light correctly every time you switch on the ARP :-)
By EnochLight Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:33 pm
@RedPandaMusik wrote:I managed to print out the entire manual. I kept it in my bathroom and read it cover to cover.

Jeez.. might get that colon checked out. That's a lot of time to spend in the bathroom. :wink: :lol: