MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Certified Beatz Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:30 pm
Cases wrote:
40Beatz wrote:Lol
It all depends on what you wanna do. Travel and make beats or Stay Stationary at the Studio. Do you still have the 4000?

I would go with the ONE.

yeah, just ordered it. I sold the 4k last year but the buyer never paid me fully (friend) so he want to return it after I told him about the MPC one I ordered he told me to give it back to me without the need of any cash returns.. meaning I just bought my own MPC4K back for the price of 200 euro.

Curious what would sell the MPC4000 for?

Ad condition
By Tabletop Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:57 pm
Cases wrote:it doesnt add anything to this convo, so lets just park that for another thread shall we?

its just the sole function on a forum, interaction. I can find the link he sent on google myself, thats why I reach out to this forum (for 10 years now!)

its almost an insult to sent a link like that.

That link was the perfect response (imo), it laid all the details out objectively so you didnt have to wait & sift through 20 different opinions from 20 different users... (Because, honestly, "help! what should I buy?!" posts are ridiculous)
But then, let me get this straight, you claim you wanted to converse with people about the MPC's, talk to one person about an OP-1, then order an MPC one the same day... despite claiming money was no object...
This is awesome! :lol: :lol: :lol:
By 64hz Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:22 am
Cases wrote:
NearTao wrote:
it doesnt add anything to this convo, so lets just park that for another thread shall we?

its just the sole function on a forum, interaction. I can find the link he sent on google myself, thats why I reach out to this forum (for 10 years now!)

:Sigh:

You do understand your on his forum?
By bees80 Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:54 am
Cases wrote:Ask him, idk. Not sure how that will help me, other than him advertising his overpriced website

Just curious, what is overpriced on the site in your mind?

it doesnt add anything to this convo, so lets just park that for another thread shall we?

Sure, you can conclude this was an insult. Just like we all can conclude from your replies that you are a sad little ungratefull cuntbucket.

if you are so super smart and know how to use google, then you could have searched up the specs of all the machines and write it down yourself to compare. But i guess you are not that smart....
By CharlesRandolph Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:58 am
bees80 wrote:Sure, you can conclude this was an insult. Just like we all can conclude from your replies that you are a sad little ungratefull cuntbucket.

if you are so super smart and know how to use google, then you could have searched up the specs of all the machines and write it down yourself to compare. But i guess you are not that smart....

Everyone is getting NOC'D out. :popcorn: Glad its not just me handing out the KO'S!!
By Patientrichard Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:31 pm
I have the mpc one, the toraiz sp-16, and the octatrack mk2. I know the latter wasn't mentioned, and can see you've ordered the mpc one, so this is likely not a helpful response at this time. This is also subjective and not a full review of the ins and outs. If there are specific questions however, I will be happy to answer them.

Anyway ...

Toraiz sp-16 -
This is an immediate box, that sounds great, is intuitive and has a few tricks up it's.
The killer usp is of course, the DSI filters and overdrive. They impart a really unique sound to your samples, and beg to be played with live. It has 8 outs, and using a mixer really utelises these. I actually use it as part of our live act in this way, and it's great fun. Really is a playable device.
The timestretch is good and doesn't have obvious artifacts, unless pushed to extremes.
The on board fx and good, and although dsp, they do sound musical and comparable to stand alone fx. The ducker is really good and can be shaped to created rhythmic gating that can lead to interesting results.
The screen is fine, and reactive, although it's not as quick as your ipads etc.
There's a mixer section that has sends, and master fx.
There's a compressor available on every track and it's very usable. There's two fx slot per track, as well as the send fx.
It can handle external gear, and process incoming audio.
The sequencer is basic, and won't change the world, but if you're after a sampler with xox style sequencing, then it's fine.
Storage is via USB stick

Octatrack mk2 :

There's a myth that it has a steep learning curve, however this is a fallacy. The truth is that it's as easy to learn as anything else, if you take your time to learn it. The idea is to learn one segment at a time, before moving on to the next - bite sized chunks.
It's also a blank canvas. It can be a sampler, looper, mixer, fx box, remixer, midi brain.... The trick is to know what you want to do with it.
The OT is a fantastic sampler, which lends itself to performance, and audio manipulation, rather than being a daw away from the computer.
Full tracks are able to be made, however the lack of outs (four, but two are main, two are cue) means that tracks made on the OT are self contained, unless you track out one by one- which is what I do. It takes a whole but it's how things were done in the old days, and it can be a medative experience!
The cross fader is used to morph between scenes. Scenes, without telling you how to suck eggs, are the current state of the sample - so say on track one you have a 4 x4 kick drum, you can move to the next scene and that 4x4 could be pitched down, retrigged (beat repeat), reversed, sample start point changed, filtered, fx added.... Basically morph into something completely different, before flipping the cross fader back to the original scene and everything returning to how it was.
There's 8 tracks, and this scene manipulation /morphing can be done on each one.....
There's two fx slots per track and there's some very useful fx on board. You can't have delay and reverb on the same track without a workaround (which is less of a workaround and more about the manipulation of a bug)
The sequencer is where it shines. Conditional trigs are when a certain percentage or muscical measure, dictates when the trig or step will be active. So say you have a 64 step, 4x4 kick pattern, you can have the 64th step trigger an extra kick every 8 bars - this means you can both extend the amount of steps and create rhythmic variations.
The trigs/steps can also have different samples in a pattern - take the 4x4 kick pattern again. 1,5,9,13 have a kick, but if you wanted to stick a hat on 2,and a snare of 6, you can. This not only frees up tracks, the conditional rules can also be applied, so you can create rhythmically dynamic patterns on each of the eight tracks - it can get very confusing, as well as being very good fun.
Conditional trigs can also be applied when sequencing midi tracks, and you have eight of these also.
There's three lfos and these can be used In many ways, I clouding them being assigned to conditional trigs, and scenes.
Timestretch is great and there's a couple of ways to do this, so there's always options if you're not happy.
The screen is OK, but it's not what I would expect from a machine these days. It's not touchscreen, and it has a pseudo gameboy vibe. However it's useable and gives the information required.
Sampling is great with the OT and there's many ways to do it.
Slicing samples is great fun and they can be randomised, with conditional trigs on each slice, as well as being able to manipulate them via the scenes paradigm--you can get really out there.
The OT is immense, and I absolutely love mine, but I am not even scratching the surface here and am definitely not doing it justice in this reply.

Mpc one:

I won't go into too much detail, as there's many people here who can give you a better overview, however as this isy first foray into the mpc world, I can give you some thoughts from my perspective.

I'm using it as a way to flesh out the main idea of a track, before exporting the stems to my daw.
The fx are great, and performing with track mutes is really good.
Pads are great, and better than the toraiz sp-16
16 levels is immediate and enjoyable.
Manipulation of samples, whilst not as fast as the OT, is achievable, but this is not what it's for.
I really like my mpc and its definitely a keeper.
The sound is great and the storage options tell me a lot of other companies are just phoning it in - Elektron in particular...
Screen is fine and responsive, again not an ipad, but fine for what it is.
Piano roll is a bit fiddly, but you have pads and various options to get chords and notes in, so it's not a major issue.
XY fx are fun.
A lack of outs is a shame but not a major issue as everything is exported via sd
I've not explored song mode yet but seems straightforward.
I've had difficulty with loops (warping being out and more) but to be honest, I'm not using it for loops now as those duties are taken care of by the toraiz sp-16.
Chopping samples is a dream and inspiring.
I've been using it with the OT recently, whilst putting together a solo set and I've very much enjoyed using the two with the mpc ones mute pad function shining as I build up the track.
It's not the most portable but it's more portable than a lot of things - the decksaver will make this easier for me.

You come from the mpc side of things, so the one will be like meeting an old friend, that's dumped the ex, and had a make over.

I hope that has been useful in some way.
By Cases Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:39 am
So much emotions LOOL, not even gonna reply to that.

Lucky to have people like Patientrichard that understands why people reach out to forums.

by Patientrichard » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:31 pm
I have the mpc one, the toraiz sp-16, and the octatrack mk2. I know the latter wasn't mentioned, and can see you've ordered the mpc one, so this is likely not a helpful response at this time. This is also subjective and not a full review of the ins and outs. If there are specific questions however, I will be happy to answer them.

Anyway ...

This indeed was very helpful, I just needed the perspective from a MPC user thats familiar with gear mentioned. Specs are just specs..

Thanks guys! And my apologies to the butthurts, no pun was intended.
By Cases Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:49 am
Full tracks are able to be made, however the lack of outs (four, but two are main, two are cue) means that tracks made on the OT are self contained, unless you track out one by one- which is what I do. It takes a whole but it's how things were done in the old days, and it can be a medative experience!

Thanks for mentioning the OT, I have my eyes on it for some years now, it's the only one I have used in person. It sounds really really good, I'm pretty sure I'll order this one as well.

Mpc one:

I won't go into too much detail, as there's many people here who can give you a better overview, however as this isy first foray into the mpc world, I can give you some thoughts from my perspective.

I'm using it as a way to flesh out the main idea of a track, before exporting the stems to my daw.

Exactly! This is how I use my MPC as well, I also record most of my instruments with it, in this case that would be the OT, I sold all my hardware to start fresh with a new setup consisting solely of things that I really can't product without, so I will take some more time to select my new setup.

You come from the mpc side of things, so the one will be like meeting an old friend, that's dumped the ex, and had a make over.

Yeah, I've been using the 2500 for some years and the 4000 always was my main weapon, I can't make anything without a MPC anymore so this will be fun while traveling - I can even load my old projects!!! Got milions of drumkits created in the past 20 years.

Also like the toriaz though, my friend has the AS-1 and the sound is just insane for it's low price. (nice filter!)
Maybe I will add that later as well, I agree the MPC isn't really competing in the area of sample manipulation etc. I just always liked the workflow and the midi timings (especially the 4000.) are mega tight!
By 64hz Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:17 am
I'm not able to load my old projectfiles without problems fyi. .Snd is a gamble every time if it won't crash the os, so don't buy it to use it with your old kits.
By bees80 Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:18 am
Cases wrote:So much emotions LOOL, not even gonna reply to that.

Lucky to have people like Patientrichard that understands why people reach out to forums.

You meant: Lucky to have people that are willing to help even though you are being a prick.

Now you can google on how to act like a grown up instead of a little cuntbucket :) Or would you need advise on that too?
By Cases Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:20 am
I'm not able to load my old projectfiles without problems fyi. .Snd is a gamble every time if it won't crash the os, so don't buy it to use it with your old kits.

Thanks man, another thing you won't find on google or a specs list ;) appreciate it.

You meant: Lucky to have people that are willing to help even though you are being a prick.

Now you can google on how to act like a grown up instead of a little cuntbucket :) Or would you need advise on that too?

Like I said, I won't even take a step down that road.. so emotional xD, Not sure what girls like this are trying to achieve by just keeping the negative shit alive, everybody sane knows what I meant dude.. its just thats its text, its the way we talk down here. I case you try to get me triggered, you will never be able to even come close kid.
By bees80 Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:37 am
Cases wrote:

Thanks man, another thing you won't find on google or a specs list ;) appreciate it.

Like I said, I won't even take a step down that road.. so emotional xD, Not sure what girls like this are trying to achieve by just keeping the negative **** alive, everybody sane knows what I meant dude.. its just thats its text, its the way we talk down here. I case you try to get me triggered, you will never be able to even come close kid.

*First says to not go down that road, then starts calling names like kid, girl and claiming others are negative, and calling out MPC tutor on his site*

Maybe you should look at yourself and realize you should talk a bit normal and don't act like a total **** with double standards.. Saying people should not be emotional but meanwhile calling them out.
By Tabletop Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:58 am
To anyone just joining in, here's a quick run down of this thread:

OP: HELP! Should I buy Snickers, Milky Way or 3 Musketeers? Money is no object.
Tutor: Heres a spreadsheet to help
OP: Nah f*ck off w the spreadsheet, I wanna talk about candy with candy experts
Person: Ive eaten Rolos before
OP: Word, thank you for the insight, I bought the 3 Musketeers a minute ago, and y'all acting like women
:lol: :lol: