MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Unreallystic Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:40 pm
TLDR Version; Looking for a secondary device solution to pair with my X and control MPC 2.0 beyond "hitting record/play/stop"...
---------------------------
Hopefully the title isn't too misleading and post too long.

Without getting too deep in the weeds, I had to/wanted to relocate my studio to make room for something else in the house. The space I am moving *back* into roughly a 10x12 room. Before I started moving, I kept my gear in a cockpit setup.

In terms of what matters for discussion...
On my left was my keyboard controller and my peak.
In the middle was my MPC X.
On my right was a 3-tier stand with standalone gear wired in a way that I could stream a live performance between two Forces or record to the MPC.

In the room , if I follow this cockpit approach, I'm left with like 2 feet of space on my right that is just "dead", and the room feels artificially cramped. I can make the room feel better by taking the items on my right (mostly for standalone, but I DO record my System-8 and FA-06 into the MPC) and going from...

|****|
to

I have an extra screen in the middle that can clone the main display so that its easy to see what's going on while working on the Sys-8/Fa-06, but I don't know what would be best for actually controlling the MPC software. I've got various controllers that I'm sure I could do some basic mapping to like "hit record", but I'd like to be able to do a bit more "work" without being in front of the MPC X, so I was hoping you guys could help me out.

On one hand I do have a MPC Live, not sure how well two will work together, but it is something I can try this weekend (nothing is actually wired up as I froze up rewiring after the move because of this question).

I have various controllers like a Push 1 & 2 that I'm currently not using, I could look into using the "User" mode, not sure how much work that is though to be honest - especially since I'd like to be able to record a performance and do basic cleaning and adjustments.

My KMI QuNeo is highly customizable, not sure about being able to map certain q Links though.

I can add a trackball on top of my System-8 as a secondary navigation device - I bought it for making an arcade cabinet, and ended up not using it.

Then there is "buying" something like maybe a used MPC Studio.

Has anyone tried doing anything besides hitting record with anything besides their MPC or using two MPCs together on the same instance of MPC 2.0?

And yeah I would try everything myself, but I'd rather ask people who may have already done it, and (2) I haven't wired anything up because I'm unsure which direction my setup will be.
- Unreall