MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By MPCSean Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:15 am
Is there any way to detect pitch for tuning in the MPC?
It would be very useful especially when working with analogue gear (CV outs to audio inputs)
I guess it could also be useful detecting pitch on samples, but it is the live inputs I am really interested in personally.
By elstebbano Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:02 am
no, but you have 12 half tones to find the right one and you instantly hear when you are in tune, so it shouldn’t be too hard to find the tune without a dedicated plugin..
By Oscar South Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:47 pm
elstebbano wrote:no, but you have 12 half tones to find the right one and you instantly hear when you are in tune, so it shouldn’t be too hard to find the tune without a dedicated plugin..

This thread came up in a Google search and I'm going to interject here that this is a totally irrelevant reply that nobody should pay attention to. Nothing personal meant here and apologies to all for making my first post here such a confrontational one, but I can't stand information like this just sitting here to misdirect and mislead naïve, advancing and susceptible musicians.

I'd tune my instruments, samples and oscillators 99% of the time by ear as this leads me to what subjectively 'sounds best' and helps me achieve the most musically pleasing end results. However there are incredibly many situations where accurate metering for pitch is absolutely an advantageous situation that should be encouraged.

An example situation is on stage -- in many situations I have to retune oscillators during musical performances while the composition is ongoing. I wouldn't want to fiddle about with parameters during a concert with unpredictable monitoring situations, when I already know from the writing/rehearsal process exactly what frequency I want that oscillator or instrument to be at to give me the musical effect I want. Especially when working with ethnic instruments that work with different or non standardised concepts of pitch, intonation or temperament, it's absolutely vital that high precision tools are available to make accurate measurements and precise adjustments. As a session musician, I would never tune my instrument out loud on stage during a concert, and if I'm out of tune then I won't get any more calls back from that artist!

Anyone who finds that post when they're just looking to learn if their instrument contains a fundamental tool or not should not be made to feel inadequate. I would also love to have a tuner app or plugin available on my MPC!

Oscar
By DeaDeus Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:06 pm
OK - fine... "Especially when working with ethnic instruments that work with different or non standardised concepts of pitch, intonation or temperament, it's absolutely vital that high precision tools are available to make accurate measurements and precise adjustments."

What would you expect from a software plastic gear set like an MPC?
This is an electronical instrument and as mentioned by elstebbano, use your ear or get a gadget...
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=tuner+pitch+app&ia=web

I have tried to get a drummer to play along to an arpeggiator (I know different issue) - resulting, that I had to adjust beat #1 ....

Sounds like you are frustrated by quirky tuned instruments - fine, I like world music - honestly! But you have to cope with it...
By DeaDeus Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:11 pm
MPCSean wrote:Is there any way to detect pitch for tuning in the MPC?
It would be very useful especially when working with analogue gear (CV outs to audio inputs)
I guess it could also be useful detecting pitch on samples, but it is the live inputs I am really interested in personally.

Hi Sean,
it is an interessting issue - and no, the MPC cannot do so. Putting it on a wishlist is, how can I say it - invain.

I have a harmonizer if ever would get lost... but I count on my ears and play along some chords with a piano - it is clean enough to find a nice tuning.
By Oscar South Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:26 pm
DeaDeus wrote:OK - fine... What would you expect from a software plastic gear set like an MPC?

The modern MPCs are pretty versatile! I don't think they should be underestimated in this setting. The sampling and performance capabilities they have make them much more than just electronic instruments -- it's hard to imagine any ensemble setting that an MPC couldn't potentially add musical value.

I do run pitch and phase metering on a separate iPad screen normally so I'm not really wanting myself, in terms of studio work, but with the portable ethos of the Live II, I think some onscreen monitoring tools would fit perfectly (would love a spectrogram and a vectorscope for phase/stereo too).

I ran into cases of 'tuner elitism' in my earlier years as a session musician (fretless and upright bass) and none of those people made the grade in the end (and often managed to play their fretted instruments out of tune). Correlation or causation? I wouldn't say, but the fundamental foundation of musicianship is playing in time and in tune -- nobody should be talked down to for using the tools available to their fullest capability in the process of achieving this.