MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By NearTao Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:23 am
Hey folks... spent the day with the auto sampler and giving my S950 some attention, which resulted in NT - S950 v1.zip. Feel free to download and use as you see fit.

This is MPC X/Live/One formatted... though the samples are 44.1k/16-bit mono, so should load into plenty of samplers. I considered converting this stack into a MPC Expansion, but gave up on the app for now. Maybe later, when I figure out the steps to create previews... and apparently it wants sequences for each program *shrug*.

I tried to record most of this in as hot as possible without introducing distortion and I didn't use any FX other than what is in the S950. If you want to play chords you're likely going to need to drop the master volume down a bit. Also... I tried to get the S950 to output from C0-C5 as much as possible, but sometimes the key groups fought me a bit on this, and I just moved on. All of the programs should be spreed from C-2 to G8... but I may have missed getting this to work for a few.

Overall notes for the auto sampling:
* Should play from C-2 to G8
* Sampled C0 to C5 in most cases, with a stride of 4
* Generally 16 samples per program
* Only one Sample Layer at velocity of 127
* Converted Stereo samples back to mono

The pack contains 594 samples, across 39 programs, which breaks down to:
3 Accordion
4 Bass
1 Brass
2 Flute
6 Guitar
1 Harmonica
1 Horn
2 Organ
3 Piano
1 Recorder
2 Strings
14 Synths
By dsy73 Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:36 am
@NewAkaiuser: download link is working here. You may try another browser?

The keygroups are interesting, just need to change some AMP env.
By 64hz Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:46 pm
Awesome, can't wait to try them out.
By NearTao Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:03 pm
dsy73 wrote:@NewAkaiuser: download link is working here. You may try another browser?

The keygroups are interesting, just need to change some AMP env.

If you get any changes you like and want to send them over I'll gladly make the changes. After about 6 hours of sampling, testing, re-recording, etc... I started to glaze over :D. The professionals probably both have a better workflow, know when to take breaks, and have notes on important settings to tweak.
By NearTao Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:00 am
Here's another set of samples recorded off of the S950: NT - S950 v2.zip. I'm a little sick of recording and editing Toms... but it's what I did :D

* 720 Mono samples

45 programs, which breaks down to:
2 Bass Drums
1 Choir
1 Cowbell
8 Cymbals
2 Drums
1 FX
2 Hi Hats
5 Pianos
1 Rim
1 Shaker
3 Snares
1 Tambourine
17 Toms
By richie Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:54 pm
Thanks for taking the time to put this together and share it with everyone.

By CharlesRandolph Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:14 pm
Nice work....let me check them out. What effects did you use from the S950?

NearTao wrote:Hey folks... spent the day with the auto sampler and giving my S950 some attention, which resulted in NT - S950 v1.zip. Feel free to download and use as you see fit.

This is MPC X/Live/One formatted... though the samples are 44.1k/16-bit mono, so should load into plenty of samplers. I considered converting this stack into a MPC Expansion, but gave up on the app for now. Maybe later, when I figure out the steps to create previews... and apparently it wants sequences for each program *shrug*.

I tried to record most of this in as hot as possible without introducing distortion and I didn't use any FX other than what is in the S950. If you want to play chords you're likely going to need to drop the master volume down a bit. Also... I tried to get the S950 to output from C0-C5 as much as possible, but sometimes the key groups fought me a bit on this, and I just moved on. All of the programs should be spreed from C-2 to G8... but I may have missed getting this to work for a few.

* Converted Stereo samples back to mono

The pack contains 594 samples, across 39 programs, which breaks down to:
3 Accordion
4 Bass
1 Brass
2 Flute
6 Guitar
1 Harmonica
1 Horn
2 Organ
3 Piano
1 Recorder
2 Strings
14 Synths
By NearTao Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:41 pm
If you're asking about the signal, it's dry coming out of the S950 into the MPC for recording. Some of the programs have some of the S950 low pass filter, the samples vary in sample rate, and a lot of it was just auto looped for the samples... so some of them are a little janky. You'll definitely hear that old school "when will this note sustain end" if you play them out. Easy enough to adjust the Amp on the MPC though to get the volume to play more the way you'd like.