MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By 83dude Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:38 am
I am not sure whether it depends on the clock type. Syncing via MC (MIDI Clock) aligns information about relative tempo (i.e. bars / beats /pulses or ticks). Recording audio requires usually an absolute type of syncing like MTC (MIDI Timecode), using absolute sample rate values to sync.

I am not able to test this myself ATM, but I‘ll check whether the clock type is relevant in this case.
By 3Keay Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:17 am
It looks like this is unsolved. I am a relatively new MPC One user running MPC 2.9. Love the machine in general, lot of fun. However as noted in the thread. The MPC cannot record audio when synced as a slave ( I haven't been able to have it record midi typed from the pads or my controller either when in sync mode). I have tested this with a couple of sequencers. Pressing the record button turns the record function for the track off. Initially I had assumed it was something in the Midi Clock stream, a command or something. My initial test was syncing to an sDrum guitar pedal and this worked fine ( later with another device), just cannot record audio on mpc. Nothing in the manual in the sections on MTC or MMC or under the audio recording section ( the logical places). I have a video of the issue at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHI8GnwmExs

If anyone has a work around, I'd love to hear it. I guess from here it is an email to Akai.....

Thanks for taking the time.

FYI, the timing in the video drifts because I was trying various sequencers to see if the problem lay with the master device. I think I left a bpm change in the middle of the master sequence and it caused havoc in the MPC timing.
By Oortone Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:21 am
83dude wrote:I am not sure whether it depends on the clock type. Syncing via MC (MIDI Clock) aligns information about relative tempo (i.e. bars / beats /pulses or ticks). Recording audio requires usually an absolute type of syncing like MTC (MIDI Timecode), using absolute sample rate values to sync.

I am not able to test this myself ATM, but I‘ll check whether the clock type is relevant in this case.

MTC is not sample accurate - since it's midi - and a drift in the MTC would also require sample rate conversion during record.

But many DAW:s won't even sync to incoming Midi Clock in playback mode so MPC Live is not particuilary "bad" in any way in this respect.
By mrarm Sat May 28, 2022 10:32 am
IMHO that's INSANE it's still unsolved. AFTER FEW YEARS. I feel as I've bought some volca.

I don't have basic functionality: possibility of dictate tempo from my main machine (Syntakt) and record sample on MPC.
It's very weak looper and quite limited recorder at this moment. It's only good sampler if you do'n need any sync.
By Straker Mon May 30, 2022 12:05 pm
I didn't check about recording but Mpc definitely works better as a midi master for any situation.
It makes sense as it should be the brain of a setup, I use it this way without issues.
But damn you are right, they should solve the issues when using it as midi slave.
By Nutrisse Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:42 pm
So after two hours of tearing my hair out, I realized that it *is* possible to record while synced to a clock master while in controller mode. The issue here is that the Rec/Overdub buttons are disabled on the device itself. You have to hit Rec/Overdub manually using the mouse in the MPC software.

Now the question is this - am I overlooking some sort of hidden setting?

**EDIT**

What a wild ride. Figured it out to anyone who has a similar issue. In the preferences in **SOFTWARE**, go to "Hardware" and toggle the Record/Overdub setting so it says "To MPC Plugin." It should work.

I wasn't able to find this in the manual, but I might be a bigger idiot than I originally thought. In any case, I'm going to have to chalk this up to poor Akai UI choices.