MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Monotremata Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:35 am
Weird I cant here, Im using the latest Logic Pro with a Live, sending MIDI clock to the Live with the Akai Network MIDI port. Have a track with Absynth setup, routed to a pair of my MOTUs outputs that are patched into the MPCs input, MPC is monitoring and records on its own just fine. Set the MPC to slave to MIDI Clock, the minute Logic sends the 'play' command, the MPC will stay in record mode but it unarms my audio track.
By Caustic Yoda Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:56 am
ru in standalone or controller mode? im in standalone, syncing with a computer as master is a bit more prone to problems than syncing it to a hardware master, i have 20 things syncd off the 3000 and 6usb midi devices running from the live all runs pretty tight tho most other gear is tighter than the live timing wise its pretty slop compared to digitakt or pretty much any other gear but it syncs with greatest of ease and can record midi parts and sample to it, do all the usual things, can check my settings if still having trouble, i also havet bothered with 2.9 update still on 2.8
By Danoc Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:53 am
When in 2017 l was told the MPC live had to be a slave when dealimg with a DAW. If lm wrong someone correct me. There was a big fuss over that.

Yoda is dealing with another MPC that syncs well.
By Oortone Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:37 am
AB101 wrote:So sync in standalone mode with external clock?

Yes, standalone, 2.9 synced to external clock from a Roland SBX clockmaster.
This is when recording to a track, I tried regular, punch in and autorecord. All works fine when MPC is master. None works when MPC Live is slaved to the clockmaster, they all "unarm" almost immidieately after entering record.

@Caustic Yoda When you say you can "record midi parts and sample to it", what do you mean by that? How do you record? I wonder because I can also record in slave mode to a clockmaskter in the sample menu but in that case I don't get clips aligned to the timeline the same way as in an audiotrack.

Also, midi is no problem. It's audio I can not record/sample.
By Monotremata Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:44 pm
Danoc wrote:When in 2017 l was told the MPC live had to be a slave when dealimg with a DAW. If lm wrong someone correct me. There was a big fuss over that.

Yoda is dealing with another MPC that syncs well.

I guess it depends on what you need to do with it. When Im done writing and all my sequences are bounced into one big song, I just sync the MPC to Logic, arm my tracks and hit record in Logic. It starts/stops the MPC, all my tracks get recorded in time.. Ive never tried recording audio into the MPC while I was doing it though so its good to know it doesn't work. I was planning on doing that in a couple sequences in this track Im working on so I could use some Absynth noises in a couple spots. Guess Ill 'freehand' it and import the WAVs after. I get the exact same behavior Oortone does when trying to record audio. The minute Logic sends the play command, it unarms the audio track.

(All standalone too, I never use controller mode unless I have to backup the hard drive inside it)
By Danoc Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:21 am
So Mono Logic is the master.

Monotremata wrote:
I guess it depends on what you need to do with it. When Im done writing and all my sequences are bounced into one big song, I just sync the MPC to Logic, arm my tracks and hit record in Logic. It starts/stops the MPC, all my tracks get recorded in time.. Ive never tried recording audio into the MPC while I was doing it though so its good to know it doesn't work. I was planning on doing that in a couple sequences in this track Im working on so I could use some Absynth noises in a couple spots. Guess Ill 'freehand' it and import the WAVs after. I get the exact same behavior Oortone does when trying to record audio. The minute Logic sends the play command, it unarms the audio track.

(All standalone too, I never use controller mode unless I have to backup the hard drive inside it)
By Danoc Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:23 am
Caustic Yoda wrote:while the 3k master is playing i just hit overdub or record on the live and tap my patterns or play midi keys connected to it and it works perfect for external midi or pads

Your workflow is dope with the two machines.
By Monotremata Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:14 am
Danoc wrote:So Mono Logic is the master.

Only at the end really. I stopped using Logic to do any writing when I got the MPC Studio last year. I got the Live maybe six months later and stopped using the Mac for anything other than sample editing/management really. I write everything on the MPC with all my MIDI gear and when that's all done I just fire up Logic to record it all like a tape deck. I run everything through a console so I can track all my outputs and then just mix it real quick and call it done.
By Oortone Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:51 pm
Caustic Yoda wrote:while the 3k master is playing i just hit overdub or record on the live and tap my patterns or play midi keys connected to it and it works perfect for external midi or pads

Ok, yes that's no problem for me either synced to another master. I only get this problem when I record audio in looped mode.