MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Modern Groove Assembly Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:58 pm
I'm using my X in standalone mode to control external MIDI devices.

Connections are pretty straight forward, all old school MIDI cables, no USB Midi or audio anywhere.

Keyboard controller into MPC X, MIDI outs to the various hardware pieces.

2 of those (Virus and Integra) I'm using the SPDIF out to connect to the Apollo interface.

When I'm sequencing, for some reason the Virus and Integra receive "note on" messages no matter which MIDI port is selected. I can turn the ports off and they are still receiving MIDI.

Sometimes it will fix itself and go back to working as normal, but any ideas what's causing this? If the Virus is on Port B, for instance, and port B is "OFF" or a different port is selected in the Track it shouldn't be receiving anything, correct?

BTW both of these devices, Virus and Integra, are multi-timbral devices that are set to receive on each of 16 MIDI channels. But I don't think that should matter, if the port is turned off or re-assigned, it seems they shouldn't be receiving any MIDI.

Hopefully there's something I'm missing in the MIDI setup menu?
By NearTao Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:19 pm
I'll have to look through the settings, but sounds like you've got a midi loop going on. If you've got soft thru on the virus and/or Integra, you're likely getting

Midi note out from MPC A (or B) -> Midi note into Virus (or Integra) -> Soft thru back to MPC (does not matter which input) -> Midi dumped straight back out to the currently selected Midi track.

Just a guess, but you've probably got something like that going on. Curious what happens if you select a track that has a drum or key group on it... or no program at all.
By Modern Groove Assembly Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:41 pm
OK what's weird is, if I let the machine hibernate for a while, it will work and I'll be sending out MIDI properly to each channel. Then, if I scroll through the different ports on a track, it will "hang" on one device.

So for instance, the Integra is on Port C. If I'm playing a track sending on Port A, and scroll through the different ports, if I select C, C (the Integra) will continue to receive no matter which Port I change it to. So if I change back to part A, the Integra will still receive MIDI messages. If I turn the port off, it still receives.

I've confirmed I've got Soft Thru off in the Virus and I'll look into the Integra settings.
By Modern Groove Assembly Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:48 pm
Update;

It will do this even for internal sounds, so it's not an external MIDI thing.

Example, I call up a sequence.

I play a track which has an internal synth sound on it. Fine no problem.

I go to another sequence. That internal synth sound will still play no matter what track or MIDI channel I select. Then, if I pick another MIDI output, THAT channel will continue to play, etc etc etc.

It's like they aren't releasing after they're unselected.

Keyboard is a Nord Stage and I don't have any USB connected anywhere.
By Modern Groove Assembly Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:56 pm
OK Solved; has to do with the way the tracks are armed.

From the 2.8 release notes;

You can now send MIDI from one track to another to layer two or more sound generators.
To layer two plugin instruments on Track 1 set the program type to Plugin and choose a plugin
instrument and preset, on Track 2 once again set the program type to Plugin and use the + icon
to create a second plugin program this time choose a different plugin instrument and preset.
Next, on Track 1, go to the Main Mode, Track Channel Strip and from the Send To field choose
Track 2. Now any note input or MIDI from Track 1 will be sent to the second track giving a quick
and easy way to layer two sounds.
MIDI tracks now have an input Monitor button with four monitoring states :
• Off - Never monitor the tracks MIDI input. Playback of events from the track is heard. This
setting is useful when using keyboards where local is set to On.
• In - Always monitor the tracks MIDI input regardless of the tracks Rec Arm state.
Playback of events from the track is not heard.
• Auto - When a track is record armed Monitor the tracks input. Playback of events from the
track is heard.
• Merge - Always monitor the tracks input regardless of rec arm. Playback of events from
the track is heard.