MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By kalibhakta Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:13 pm
Is there any reason you would need one?

With my limited understanding of audio, it seemed reasonable that the MPC Live 2 itself functioned as an audio interface. It has a ton jacks for recording anything I could want.

If the MPC Live 2 is connected to my Macbook via USB, isn't that perfectly fine for sending MIDI info and audio???

Does buying something else make sense and why? Obviously I want to spend my money on other toys.
By bees80 Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:26 am
kalibhakta wrote:
With my limited understanding of audio, it seemed reasonable that the MPC Live 2 itself functioned as an audio interface. It has a ton jacks for recording anything I could want.

Maybe it's obvious and of course i am being a smartass again, but perhaps you want to expand your limited knowledge of understanding audio before you start buying things.
By johnnytravels Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:07 pm
kalibhakta wrote:Is there any reason you would need one?

If the MPC Live 2 is connected to my Macbook via USB, isn't that perfectly fine for sending MIDI info and audio???

Does buying something else make sense and why? Obviously I want to spend my money on other toys.

The crucial question is: Does Akai provide proper drivers for the interface (or is it compatible via a universal standard). The answer to both questions, is, to my knowledge, no. It does however function as an interface when the MPC software is running, so using it as a VST/AU plugin should also make the ports available in your DAW of choice.
I for one cannot understand why this useful functionality wasn't properly implemented at some point. I'd rather have a capable sampler with robust file management that doubles as an audio interface over USB 3.0 than a host of average at best virtual instruments.
By Tricky Gnosis Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:25 am
It works as a MIDI and audio interface for ANY software in "controller mode."

The MIDI interface is class compliant.

The audio interface requires Akai's ASIO driver on Windows, which they do provide.

Just ignore the screen saying it is waiting to connect to the computer. It should really say "waiting to connect to the MPC software." It works as a generic MIDI/audio interface in the meantime.

For example, I use the pads and audio interface to practice finger drumming in Melodics.

Hope that helps.
By johnnytravels Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:22 pm
Tricky Gnosis wrote:It works as a MIDI and audio interface for ANY software in "controller mode."

The MIDI interface is class compliant.

The audio interface requires Akai's ASIO driver on Windows, which they do provide.

Just ignore the screen saying it is waiting to connect to the computer. It should really say "waiting to connect to the MPC software." It works as a generic MIDI/audio interface in the meantime.

For example, I use the pads and audio interface to practice finger drumming in Melodics.

Hope that helps.

That is good to know. I haven’t tried it in quite a while but I could swear that it used to be impossible to use it without the software running.
I hereby retract my previous post.
By kalibhakta Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:43 am
Maybe it's obvious and of course i am being a smartass again, but perhaps you want to expand your limited knowledge of understanding audio before you start buying things.

Oh yeah, you're definitely right about the smartass part because I'm here asking people who have knowledge so I can learn about something. LOL
By Lampdog Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:57 am
For using hardware MPC, no.
Using hardware MPC as a controller on computer, no.
MPC audio out into computer, yes.

There's a certain grey-matter level of "ask-yourselfedness” that needs to happen is prolly why B answered in that way. First line of defense is yourself type shit.
By Vr6FartNoise Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:27 am
So, to open this question again, but with a purpose in mind...

With the new update, I am looking to 'try' to use vocal suite in some of my tracks. I currently do not have XLR microphone, however I have seen people using the Focusrite 2i2 with an XLR Mic, is this necessary or could I record vocals without an audio interface?

Is there a way to use a 3.5mm headset w/ mic to record vocals - If so, how?

Just to end, I am an idiot, explain anything to me like I am an idiot, please.
By MPC-Tutor Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:09 pm
Vr6FartNoise wrote:So, to open this question again, but with a purpose in mind...

With the new update, I am looking to 'try' to use vocal suite in some of my tracks. I currently do not have XLR microphone, however I have seen people using the Focusrite 2i2 with an XLR Mic, is this necessary or could I record vocals without an audio interface?

The MPC Live 2 does not have mic preamps built in, so you'll need to run your XLR mic through an appropriate pre-amp first, perhaps also needing phantom power if you have a condensor mic. But with 2.10 you can connect an audio interface via USB and use the mic inputs on the interface.

And yes, you could use a 3.5mm headset, I assume this will output at line level, so should just plug directly into one of the Live's audio inputs, but you'll need some kind of '3.5-to-6.3mm ' adapter.
By SakisX Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:56 pm
But keep in mind that some headsets use "condenser" mic capsule that require some voltage . Those will not work if you plug them directly on your mpc line input .
If you have an iphone you could use it as a preamp
By LeonardBranch110 Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:34 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:
Vr6FartNoise wrote:So, to open this question again, but with a purpose in mind...

The MPC Live 2 does not have mic preamps built in, so you'll need to run your XLR mic through an appropriate pre-amp first, perhaps also needing phantom power if you have a condensor mic. But with 2.10 you can connect an audio interface via USB and use the mic inputs on the interface.

And yes, you could use a 3.5mm headset, I assume this will output at line level, so should just plug directly into one of the Live's audio inputs, but you'll need some kind of '3.5-to-6.3mm ' adapter.

If I purchase the 2i2, what cables do I need and where do I connect them?