MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By EnochLight Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:32 pm
The fam picked up a set of red aluminum knobs for my Live 2 - Merry Christmas to me! Here's my hot take:

• Build quality is pretty good, though they appear that they may scratch easy
  • The big knob came with an Allen wrench to actually secure it onto the metal pot via the set screw - yay!!!
  • The Q-Link knobs did NOT come with a properly sized to tool to install them, and this SUCKED. On the product page, it states that a 0.8 Pentalobe with long tip (iPhone Style) is required. :( IMHO, this tool should be included in the sale of the knobs and the cost rolled into them. Package these in sets of 4 (with the 0.8 Pentalobe long tip tool) as an option, at least.
  • The Q-Link knobs bolt is so small, you have to have laser 20/20 vision to install them.
  • 2 out of 4 of the Q-Link knobs had the set screw loose in the bag, and I almost lost them - twice.
  • I don't possess a 0.8 Pentalobe long tip tool to secure the Q-Link knobs correctly, so I used the smallest flat-head screw driver I could find (had one in an eye glass repair kit thankfully). Even this does not allow me to secure them tight, and I worry that they will fall off or work their way off eventually.
  • Keep your original knobs to address that last point (or buy a 0.8 Pentalobe long tip tool). :lol:
  • Aesthetically, I feel this looks great on the Live 2 - the red on black just looks cool! One thing I miss about the MPC Touch was the red sides on the black body (I know the X kept this, which was the right design choice IMHO).
  • Functionally, I have mixed feelings. The Big Knob is usable, but I wish it was... bigger. The Q-Links actually take a step DOWN in usability :roll: as they are so smooth that it is more difficult to grab onto them. I wish they had machined the outside circumference with bevels or pits on the Q-Links like they did on the Big Knob. That's a massive miss, MPC Stuff.com!
  • The color of the Big Knob is slightly lighter than the Q-Links. This is noted on the product page of the Big Knob, so you can't really hold that against MPC Stuff.com but it's good to know for those who are OCD about stuff matching.
  • Q-Links capacitive touch still works fine with the aluminum knobs, which is a relief as aluminum is a poor conductor of electricity.

Overall, I like the way it looks (though I still wish the Big Knob had a larger circumference). I like less the way it degrades the functionality of the Q-Links, but it is what it is. I'll keep them for now, and will probably pick up a 0.8 Pentalobe long tip tool eventually. In the meantime, I'll keep my OG's near by in case one of these fall off during transport. Hitting an off grid cabin tomorrow for a few days and looking forward to getting some MPC time in.

By 83dude Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:24 pm
EnochLight wrote:
  • Aesthetically, I feel this looks great on the Live 2 - the red on black just looks cool! One thing I miss about the MPC Touch was the red sides on the black body (I know the X kept this, which was the right design (choice!)
  • (...)
  • The color of the Big Knob is slightly lighter than the Q-Links. This is noted on the product page of the Big Knob, so you can't really hold that against MPC Stuff.com but it's good to know for those who are OCD about stuff matching.

It really looks cool. The difference of color wouldn‘t bother me, makes it even better to see in low light environments.
But I agree, red side panels would look even cooler. Enjoy! :wink:
By EnochLight Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:27 pm
Thanks! Yeah I do like the “look” for sure. Just wish they made the Q-Link billets with a grippier surround. Oh well!
By Tabletop Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:23 pm
Yeah gorilla glue expands oddly & is activated by h2o. Hopefully you used a very very small amount... Or at least a version of it meant for plastic.
And what is a "pentalobe," an allen key??

Anyway, I got the main billet replacement knob from mpcstuff because my knob was popping off all the time. It works ok, nothing special.
When you install it, you have to hold it up a bit when tightening the allen bolt. If you let it sit all the way down and tighten it, the knob will bottom out when you press it.
Very careless design if you ask me. Beware of mpcstuff, they arent selling custom machined items, just rebranded, over-priced, mismatched-color crap that you can make due with...
By justineastwick Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:32 am
Tabletop wrote:Yeah gorilla glue expands oddly & is activated by h2o. Hopefully you used a very very small amount... Or at least a version of it meant for plastic.
Come on, it’s glue... Glue is glue. LOL, the knobs still work and they’re not falling off. Spent $5 at Home Depot and now I’m off to swapping out the internal storage instead of worrying about knobs falling off...
By justineastwick Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:33 am
dryad-66 wrote:
justineastwick wrote:The knobs on my MPC Live kept falling off, so I used Gorilla Glue to keep them on. LOL.

:shock: Thats crazy.....if you wanna take the machine apart its gonna be impossible.Better solution is some PTFE thread tape used by plumbers or something similar.

Been there. Done that. Opened up my MPC Live and got all the way to the internal storage microSD card on the PCB without having to worry about the knobs... LOL.
By DokBrown Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:17 pm
JUSTIN is clearly fearless with his tool . . . .
By EnochLight Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:37 pm
Tabletop wrote:And what is a "pentalobe," an allen key??

No, an Allen key (also known as a "hex") is 6 sided, like this:

A pentalobe, like the name suggests, is 5-sided, resembling a star:

But the main billet knob I received came with an Allen wrench to secure it. You must buy your own pentalobe key if you don't have one for the smaller Q-link billets.

Tabletop wrote:Anyway, I got the main billet replacement knob from mpcstuff because my knob was popping off all the time. It works ok, nothing special.
When you install it, you have to hold it up a bit when tightening the allen bolt. If you let it sit all the way down and tighten it, the knob will bottom out when you press it.

Yeah I discovered that the hard way during my first dry run install. :lol:

Tabletop wrote:Beware of mpcstuff, they arent selling custom machined items, just rebranded, over-priced, mismatched-color crap that you can make due with...

Oh damn - wish I had known that. I would have bought the billet knobs direct. Do you know where he sources them?
By NearTao Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:41 pm
Tabletop wrote:Beware of mpcstuff, they arent selling custom machined items, just rebranded, over-priced, mismatched-color crap that you can make due with...

Not saying this isn't the case... but do you have any proof that they are just rebranded?

I have seen the color differences so understand that's annoying... and price is subjective...
By J.O.BEATS Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:59 pm
NearTao wrote:
Tabletop wrote:Beware of mpcstuff, they arent selling custom machined items, just rebranded, over-priced, mismatched-color **** that you can make due with...

Not saying this isn't the case... but do you have any proof that they are just rebranded?

I have seen the color differences so understand that's annoying... and price is subjective...

You can find most those knobs on Amazon. I replaced mine that way.
By Danoc Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:14 am
That sounds dope. Glad you're happy. I ain't gonna THAT JOINT LOOKS DOPE!

EnochLight wrote:The fam picked up a set of red aluminum knobs for my Live 2 - Merry Christmas to me! Here's my hot take:

• Build quality is pretty good, though they appear that they may scratch easy
  • The big knob came with an Allen wrench to actually secure it onto the metal pot via the set screw - yay!!!
  • The Q-Link knobs did NOT come with a properly sized to tool to install them, and this SUCKED. On the product page, it states that a 0.8 Pentalobe with long tip (iPhone Style) is required. :( IMHO, this tool should be included in the sale of the knobs and the cost rolled into them. Package these in sets of 4 (with the 0.8 Pentalobe long tip tool) as an option, at least.
  • The Q-Link knobs bolt is so small, you have to have laser 20/20 vision to install them.
  • 2 out of 4 of the Q-Link knobs had the set screw loose in the bag, and I almost lost them - twice.
  • I don't possess a 0.8 Pentalobe long tip tool to secure the Q-Link knobs correctly, so I used the smallest flat-head screw driver I could find (had one in an eye glass repair kit thankfully). Even this does not allow me to secure them tight, and I worry that they will fall off or work their way off eventually.
  • Keep your original knobs to address that last point (or buy a 0.8 Pentalobe long tip tool). :lol:
  • Aesthetically, I feel this looks great on the Live 2 - the red on black just looks cool! One thing I miss about the MPC Touch was the red sides on the black body (I know the X kept this, which was the right design choice IMHO).
  • Functionally, I have mixed feelings. The Big Knob is usable, but I wish it was... bigger. The Q-Links actually take a step DOWN in usability :roll: as they are so smooth that it is more difficult to grab onto them. I wish they had machined the outside circumference with bevels or pits on the Q-Links like they did on the Big Knob. That's a massive miss, MPC Stuff.com!
  • Q-Links capacitive touch still works fine with the aluminum knobs, which is a relief as aluminum is a poor conductor of electricity.

Overall, I like the way it looks (though I still wish the Big Knob had a larger circumference). I like less the way it degrades the functionality of the Q-Links, but it is what it is. I'll keep them for now, and will probably pick up a 0.8 Pentalobe long tip tool eventually. In the meantime, I'll keep my OG's near by in case one of these fall off during transport. Hitting an off grid cabin tomorrow for a few days and looking forward to getting some MPC time in.