MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By 8lorenzo8 Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:03 pm
Hi all, new poster here looking for some advice.

I've been having some issues with my MPC Live and Akai have sent me a .zip with original content so i can wipe and reinstall.

Unfortunately at the beginning of the process i get the error message 'Failed to find the internal content drive'.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to why this may be? I can find the internal drive in the file browser as normal. Running firmware 2.9

Any advice would be much appreciated.
By Arkova Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:20 pm
Ive had 2 technical support calls with this exact issue and will be making my third today... followed their directions and had no problem with it on the MPC X but having the exact same issue you are with my MPC ONE, if i get any closer to a resolution I'll post up here or DM you, this is going into week 3 for me. Pretty unhappy with the support so far. dont even bother e-mailing them..
By salamonkey Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:59 am
I had the exact same issue:
loaded the zip content (Thank You, Akai Support Germany - I had a very good experience talking to them) to an empty 32GB SD Card that I had laying around.
Inserted the card into the MPC X, and the loading process started - with the screen upside down, mind you, but I can live with that.. it was just strange.
Then after a few minutes the message appeared "Failed to find the internal content drive".
I re-tried the procedure several times, even trying the USB port (via a SD/USB adapter), with the same result.

Then I went back and re-formatted the SD Card in Ext2 format, re-loaded the zip file content to it.
This time the procedure worked without problems. I have not gone to the extent to try and reproduce the error after this, but for me the re-formatting to Ext2 seems to have done the trick.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:57 am
Selahl Tapes wrote:What causes this may I ask? Deleting factory content?

Yes, it seems to cause the system to become unstable. According to the Facebook hacking group the factory content disk does not contain any hidden files, it's literally just folders of kits and projects, but it seems the MPC is looking for the presence of those (or some of those) folders or files. I've seen this 're-installer' from Akai and it does appear to do nothing other than copy the factory projects back to the internal drive, no voodoo.

I wonder if the project content itself is even needed, it might just need the empty folder structure.
By Ultros Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:45 pm
It really makes no sense tho tutor, try this fire up your mpc and head over to the browser window and hit eject on all your drives. Internal, acvs-content, memstick whatever is listed. Note the mpc does not "bug out" with the drives unmounted. Thus it leads me to believe its more likely the partition table on the SD has been corrupted. Dont quote me on that but its a pretty logical assumption.

Maybe pop the sd out, and format with GPT option enabled (with gparted or an a decent formatting tool) then reinsert and try again. Also all internal file systems are EXT4 not FAT.

Here is the content of akai's format script:
Code: Select all#cat /sbin/az01-internal-mkfs
#!/bin/sh

device=/dev/disk/by-partuuid/931ad49d-ad59-0849-833a-9bf00af5b60e

/sbin/e2label "$device" >/dev/null
ret=$?

if test $ret = 1
then
    mkfs.ext4 -L az01-internal "$device"
    ret=$?
fi

exit $ret
By 40Beatz Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:47 pm
My Theory is that Upon Startup, It looks for Certain Folders/Files during Initialization. As with Any Hard Drive System, when there's missing or Corrupted files, it'll cause Hiccups at some point.

Just my Theory...
By Lampdog Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:13 pm
@Op, what happened to cause these initial issues? Did you accidentally/purposely delete something on the internal default drive?
By salamonkey Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:41 pm
salamonkey wrote:Then I went back and re-formatted the SD Card in Ext2 format, re-loaded the zip file content to it.
This time the procedure worked without problems. I have not gone to the extent to try and reproduce the error after this, but for me the re-formatting to Ext2 seems to have done the trick.

Let me correct the key piece of info here and add some more info that I found out:
1) The format I used is ExFAT - as recommended by Akai in several places.
2) The SD Card re-load said it would be fine, but I quickly found out that it was not complete. After the presumably successful re-load I still had 12.2 GB left of the internal drive.
3) I repeated the procedure with a USB Stick (not the SD Card via USB adapter as before). The reload from the USB stick went fine, the internal drive has now all the content and shows filled to the right level.