MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Calcaire Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:03 am
Monte wrote:
in the video it looks like you can get the desired multitimbral control with the settings: solo/mute/auto. it sounds like it would work, because a continuous lead sound doesn't seem to be interrupted by the drums on the other channels. The video contradicts everything I've read about this bug so far.

can anyone agree that this works?

Yes this is one of the good way to set the things up... There is no problem as soon as you don't want to play the same note on 2 different controllers or the same note coming from external controller to 2 differents tracks / programs in the mpc. ( In the video, there is only one external controller : the pyramid) so no problem there.. the multichannel note Off ( note on on 2.11.6) occurs when the same midi note is assigned on different tracks or played by two different controllers on the same track..
By Lampdog Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:13 am
Maybe the way I work and string things together is not normal or something cause lots of issues people bring up I just don’t run into. Maybe I’m just not understanding the whole thing here.

I connect Kronos2 + S2400 to MPC X using multiple midi channels and tracks and have never had a problem like this. The vid shows the same method I use.
By Empy C Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:07 pm
Lampdog wrote:I connect Kronos2 + S2400 to MPC X using multiple midi channels and tracks and have never had a problem like this. The vid shows the same method I use.

Can you confirm that you're playing the same note value on both controllers simultaneously? For instance, a middle C (midi note value 60) on both controllers.

I have a Nektar Impact LX88+ and an Alesis Q25 connected to the MPC One.
Each are on separate tracks and separate MIDI channels.

If I play E3 (midi note value 52) on the Nektar, and then an E3 on the Alesis, the second control never sounds, but all other notes do.

If I play a note on the Alesis first, then that same note on the Nektar never sounds. The unison note bug is basically a note priority bug. The first controller to play that particular note gets priority and all other controllers trying to play that same note cannot.

Only unison notes are affected. All other notes work as expected.
By Calcaire Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:01 pm
You would believe if I showed it to you.
Split your keyboard controller .

Lower part send midi channel 1 to mpc
Upper part send channel 2 to mpc

You play a bass plugin program on lower part,

And a Rhodes plugin program on upper.
So far so good ,no problem. You never send the same midi note on your mpc

But , now, on your controller transpose your lower part zone octave up , and the upper part one octave down. You would need that to play for example Rhodes +organ programs on your mpc from your splitted controller.. , and have notes playing not too high not too low , usable.

Now that you transposed your zones, you will start playing the exact same note (C 2 + 1 octave transpose , And C4 - 1 Oct transpose ) resulting in two C3 notes received by mpc on 2 different channels , and so to muting notes in between the 2 programs. Which is the bug. It occurs for plugin programs , key groups , midi out programs, anything transiting by the poor midi management of the mpc ...it Just doesnt trig the second note if its the same as the firsts ...
By Bradley Smith Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:21 pm
I can confirm this. In 2.10 note off messages get sent to all devices on all midi channels i.e. if you have two separate instruments playing A2 for example, lifting the key on one of those instruments will stop both instruments.

Present at least as far back as 2.9.1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HE1qF_a6J0

In 2.11 it is worse. Playing A2 on one instrument means you cannot play A2 on any other instrument; MPC will simply not send the midi message.
By Lampdog Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:53 pm
Crazy for me as I've not been able to recreate this on X 2.11.6 I've given up. Thanks for the detailed steps on how to get it there, but, I just am not able. Like I said I gave up and moved on, not trying anymore.So many people are confirming I've no choice but to believe the massive weight of mulitple accounts of this happening.
By Calcaire Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:57 pm
Lampdog wrote:Crazy for me as I've not been able to recreate this on X 2.11.6 I've given up. Thanks for the detailed steps on how to get it there, but, I just am not able. Like I said I gave up and moved on, not trying anymore.So many people are confirming I've no choice but to believe the massive weight of mulitple accounts of this happening.

thanks to have tryed it and spend some time on it ... maybe some units are saved from this .

To be precise, i never use keyboard midi controller as " Global" ( previously "master") ,as I need every tracks to have it's own Midi settings and monitoring settings on each sequences...
By Monotremata Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:00 pm
I haven't run into this here either and the way my stuff works, I got a lot of 'one shots' or loops that play off holding down like C3/C2 for a bar or two at the same time and I'd be noticing those cutting out left and right. Like my risers/impacts are always running alongside something else and one or the other would not have played if this were the case. I'll have to try a new test when Im done at work today just to make sure.
By Lampdog Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:05 pm
I use Moog and Kronos together and seperately as controllers at diff times so I tried, just doesn't like me or something. :(

Other times I use them on their own so this problem come up during those times. Really can't explain why.

I even went a diff route and tried Keys61 splits as suggested, didn't work for me either.
By Bradley Smith Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:18 pm
Just to confirm for those not able to reproduce this bug:

You’re telling us that you can play the note C2 on two separate midi devices (the MPC can be one of these if you want) and both sounds okay at the same time? Additionally (you’ll need long pad sounds setup to see this), when you release one of the notes, the other note keeps playing?

The important part here is it has to be the same note. Not the same note but in a different octave, the exact same note.

Also the sounds must be triggered by the MPC receiving midi messages of course. It has to be the MPC that is receiving the midi in and then sending the midi back out to the external synth (or it’s own internal instrument if you’re testing that way).
By Monte Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:16 pm
I'm unfortunately a bit stupid and I still don't understand:
what would happen in the following case, trying to use the mpc only as a soundexpander, as an antiquated hardware-sampler:

daw/computer sending midi-notes to the mpc (computer-out to midi-in1-mpc):

midi-notes on every 16th on channel 1 pitch c3 (triggers a hihat sampled in the mpc)
at the same time
midi-notes on every 8th on channel 2 pitch c3 (triggers a violin sampled in the mpc)
at the same time
midi-notes on every 4th on channel 3 pitch c3 (triggers an organ sampled in the mpc)

would the sent quarter note of the organ stop immediately after the first sixteenth hihat? :hmmm:
By Ash1988 Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:45 am
Hi, I’m new to MPC and have a Keystep pro running into some synths aswell as my MPC one. I’m brand new to synths/midi/sampling so learning as I go along and don’t have much technical knowledge.

I think I’m finding this same defect and temporarily unable to play Some pads on my MPC only while a unrelated midi channel is sequencing my synths from the Keystep. I’ve tried across multiple channels and played around with mute groups and all the midi options in the menu. but nothing is working.

I see the ‘note off’ Midi signal on the MPC on the different channel, so my assumption is this is what is stopping midi on the Mpc drum pad (it’s definitely on a different channel) so seems it’s an issue with the software.

What can I do to check if this is same defect, or am I missing something obvious?

Also what’s best way to raise with Akai Support- although reading this thread they sound rubbish at fixing things?
By Monotremata Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:19 pm
Bradley Smith wrote:Just to confirm for those not able to reproduce this bug:

You’re telling us that you can play the note C2 on two separate midi devices (the MPC can be one of these if you want) and both sounds okay at the same time? Additionally (you’ll need long pad sounds setup to see this), when you release one of the notes, the other note keeps playing?

The important part here is it has to be the same note. Not the same note but in a different octave, the exact same note.

Also the sounds must be triggered by the MPC receiving midi messages of course. It has to be the MPC that is receiving the midi in and then sending the midi back out to the external synth (or it’s own internal instrument if you’re testing that way).

Then this has to be related to the MIDI looping back out of the MPC. My MPC is my master controller/clock/everything, its the heart of my studio. Nothing should be sending MIDI to it unless I'm messing with a filter or something on the synth. When I rolled back to 2.10, I tested this out first thing. Set up two tracks, one going to my Microwave, one going to my Blofeld. Set both up with a C3 note, let the Microwave play a C3 for 4 straight bars, the Blofeld stops at 2. The Microwave just keeps on droning after the Blofeld stops. Works the same in 2.10 as it did in 2.11, and just does not happen when the MPC is the sole device sending out MIDI data here. As I said, Id be dead in the water if this didn't work normally. Has to have something to do with the incoming MIDI getting routed back out again.
By mario-g Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:47 pm
I can confirm this bug in MPC Beats. I was using it as a multitimbral synth with a MIDI keyboard split and noticed the erratic note off behaviour. And then I found this topic.

I couldn't believe it but there it is. The bar lowers again at InMusic.