MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Jay Zen Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:16 am
I‘m suffering the same bug with the Launchpad Pro MK3, Yamaha BT Adapter, Otaki Midi USB adapter.. Everytime I switch the selection, the midi is channels are separeted, but regardless the setting, it’s routed to the selected channel….?!?!!! :twisted:

The channels are triggered and midi is forwarded, like a bottelneck, no multichannel midi.

:-/
Byanon_dkoi94jddj Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:16 am
I am having a different kind of Midi issue here that I really hope someone can help me with, I have a Live 2 that I was using with Ableton Live. I got a standard USB to Midi cable converter, I connected the Midi In to In 1 and Out to Out A, and I connect the USB port to my Laptop. I used the Midi cable converter to basically allow me to use Ableton Live sounds and VSTs as sound modules that I can then control and sequence in the MPC so when I am done I would record them as audio tracks into the MPC. I learnt how to do this from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZhTiY8RJr4

This worked for a bit but now my MIDI INs and OUTs no longer work, I did the MPC diagnosis thing and the MIDI ports failed the tests, I am not sure if I can go just off the diagnostic results though because there were other things that failed that was actually working. This is still a relatively new MPC too as I've only had it for about 2 weeks.
By apeshake Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:43 pm
I just dusted off my old akai live - i forgot what a shit heap akai software is. For everything i love about it there a a handful of things that are still totally half assed or just plain broken :roll:

akai bosses: is that new feature finished yet?
developer: it's nearly there but i just need to iron out a few bugs
bosses: [mashes a few keys on a controller keyboard] seems fine to me! Tick it off the list and move onto the next one

just out of curiousity, should i bother updating the firmware or is midi still broken? (I'm on 2.9.1)
By Wul Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:23 am
I had to try this, because I couldn’t believe a credible developer would let this slip through the net, and then again after a major update , and yes it’s still there in 2.10.1 .
It only happens when the same note is pressed on another channel.
Checked the midi monitor and that only registers a note off on the second channel.
This software is seriously flawed, users are continually having to find workarounds, for what are basic errors.
I have the midi hub. So that would be my workaround , actually on second thoughts it wouldn’t solve it . There is no workaround.
By Straker Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:45 pm
Wul wrote:I had to try this, because I couldn’t believe a credible developer would let this slip through the net, and then again after a major update , and yes it’s still there in 2.10.1 .
It only happens when the same note is pressed on another channel.
Checked the midi monitor and that only registers a note off on the second channel.
This software is seriously flawed, users are continually having to find workarounds, for what are basic errors.
I have the midi hub. So that would be my workaround , actually on second thoughts it wouldn’t solve it . There is no workaround.

Yeah that's crazy.
There is something not working right with beta testing I guess.
Also Track mute, after 2.8, works differently, as you unmute a track it starts playing only when a new note is triggered. Before 2.8, it started immediately, because the sample or track was kept playing but silenced.
That changes my way of using track mute, not nice.
I wonder if there is a connection with this behaviour and the midi note off bug of this thread. Maybe with 2.8 they messed up midi protocol.
And also I found another bug, qlink project mode forgets qlink assignment of subgroups and outputs, which is a big shame because I route different tracks to a subgroup to apply an effect to all of them and now I cannot do it anymore.
Bugs, bugs, bugs.
What are beta testers doing?
By misterflibble Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:25 pm
creativespiral wrote:Yeah, I sent in a detailed bug report last week, but have yet to receive any confirmation that the bug report has been seen. Does Akai not respond to bug reports and at least acknowledge receipt of them?

I've sent a ton of bug reports to Akai in the last year and I haven't heard anything from them in a very long time. I think the last time they responded to me after I sent in a bug was 2019. Apparently they pick up the phone when you call tech support, though, so you could call them and see what they say about having received your bug report.
By RUT Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:51 pm
I want to add synths, keys or whatever from the Live using 2KXL as sequencer. Resulting in the same issue.
For now I reverse the process, setting the XL as slave and the Live as master.
:hmmm:
By Sebastian Wing Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:45 am
Also experiencing this.

Although switching over to using dedicated ports for each synth works, in most applications, multitimbral synths are a major problem. If you want to sequence two or more layers of a multi-timbral synth with the MPC, using midi channels, it's almost unworkable. Hacking by using transposition is unacceptably cumbersome. This is an incredibly annoying bug for an otherwise astoundingly sturdy and complete device.

Really hope that Akai addresses this quickly.
By Bradley Smith Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:44 pm
Bradley Smith wrote:I don't think this is a bug (I am a noob though so maybe I'm misunderstanding). See here:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=211580&start=345#p1843175

Just read the whole thread again. Are we saying this is a multi timbral synth specific bug? Because that seems REALLY weird! All the MPC can do is send a note off message on a specific channel, to a specific device and I've monitored the messages coming out of it and it is sending the note off only to the channels that it's set up to do so for.
By Calcaire Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:36 pm
Hello no this bug occurs when you send MIDI on different channels, same port, from the MPC (LIve 1 for me) to a multitimbral synth or several monotimbral synth.

Also the issue occurs in the reverse situation, when you receive MIDI from external : I control Keygroups programs on my MPC with an up to 8 zones/ 8 Channels/ 2 ports midi, one USB port Keyboard (NOVATION SL MK 3) ... Note off received on one channel are cutting the exact same note on another keygroup program receiving another channel , even from another port !! All keygroups program are not armed for record, and in "IN" or "Merge" monitoring position.

So it's a major issue, or bug, occuring whenever the MPC is in Midi out or Midi in configuration. It's a "dispatch" problem, where NOTE OFF IN or OUT message are not adressed on correct channel/ port, but globally And it's a PITA :)
By Bradley Smith Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:29 pm
Calcaire wrote:Also the issue occurs in the reverse situation, when you receive MIDI from external : I control Keygroups programs on my MPC with an up to 8 zones/ 8 Channels/ 2 ports midi, one USB port Keyboard (NOVATION SL MK 3) ... Note off received on one channel are cutting the exact same note on another keygroup program receiving another channel , even from another port !! All keygroups program are not armed for record, and in "IN" or "Merge" monitoring position.

Hi,

I cannot test first scenario as I only have one external synth. I do have two controllers however and am not seeing the above behaviour. I can set up an MPK Mini Mk2 as USB Midi Channel 1 and an Argon8 using Midi DIN connectors set to Channel 2. I can set up two tracks, one using the MPK and sending data to an internal Plugin MPC Synth pad for example (merge selected), and the Argon set to a second track, outputting to midi channel 2 (so it's playing itself basically, also merge selected). I can then play the same note on both keyboards and have both sounds playing at the same time, and independently of each other (even if neither of them are the active track) without Note On or Note Off affecting the other channels.

Perhaps I'm still not understanding the issue! however, given my setup if there's a test you want me to run to try and exhibit the problem I'm happy to!

EDIT: I can use the Argon8 over USB Midi instead of DIN and it still works too.