MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By The KikGen Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:20 am
Huge issue found on midi management with MPC Live, X, and softwares MPC , MPC Beats :

Case :

. Start from an emtpy project.
. Add 2 midi tracks #1 & #2 , input channels #1,2 in merge mode. Same input port/device (a Roland A800 pro)
. Split on my master keyboard. Lower part send to channel 1. Upper part to channel 2.
. Instrument trk 1 : any Akai keygroup choir, trk2 : any Akai keygroup strings (long release instruments)

When I play a note, ley's say C3 on the lower part (so midi channel 1) and hold it,
if I play C3 on the upper part (so channel 2) and release it, that stops the holded C3 on channel 1.

The channel is purely ignored in the note off midi message by the MPC softwares/hardwares when sending a note off from the same midi port. This concerns also midi out, and not only internal instruments.

Very big issue !!
By wavejockey Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:11 pm
what if you record the parts separately ?

and then play at the same time, do they cut off each other ?

you can also try to send to an external synt, bi-timbral, to see if the (channelled) note-off message there is skipped or recognized
By creativespiral Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:42 am
I can confirm this bug... the NOTE OFF messages are being transmitted on ALL MIDI CHANNELS, and not respecting the set MIDI channel set on the MIDI program.

This is a major issue for anyone wanting to control outboard synths/instruments.... The general multi-timbral set up is good, but this bug makes it so NOTE OFF messages are sent to the wrong instruments.

Has anyone submitted this bug to AKAI? Are they aware of it? How/where can we submit it?
By creativespiral Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:13 am
I recorded a video trying to document this issue, with a MIDI Monitor showing the bugs with MPC processing MIDI Note Off messages.

There seems to be two bugs,...

This is with MPC-X firmware 2.9.1

1. When Monitoring is set to OFF, the MPC correctly suppresses "Note On" messages from being retransmit through MIDI, but it fails to suppress the associated "Note Off" messages. If the monitoring mode is set to off, it should ignore note off messages as well. This causes weird issues when operating outboard instruments/synths.

2. When you have two tracks armed to record, and they are set to different MIDI input / output channels, if you hold down a note on one of the devices (PolyEvolver on channel 4 for example), and then play a note on another device (Rev2 on channel 2 for example)... if you release the note on the second instrument played, it is incorrectly sending "Note Off" messages to the instrument that it was played on, plus sending a Note Off to the other device on a separate channel. For some reason when multiple tracks are armed, its ignoring the channel and sending to all those devices. (this may just be an extension of bug #1)

By 1-8-8-1 Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:57 pm
creativespiral wrote:I can confirm this bug... the NOTE OFF messages are being transmitted on ALL MIDI CHANNELS, and not respecting the set MIDI channel set on the MIDI program.

This is a major issue for anyone wanting to control outboard synths/instruments.... The general multi-timbral set up is good, but this bug makes it so NOTE OFF messages are sent to the wrong instruments.

Has anyone submitted this bug to AKAI? Are they aware of it? How/where can we submit it?

Hi,
This is not a fix, (its a fix when Akai fix it), but I have a suggestion.
Get a BomeBox - https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox - and the Midi Translator Pro software

This is the Swiss Army Knife for midi
You could use this to supress the spurious note off messages.

Since getting one myself I wonder how I would get on without it.
By re201 Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:02 pm
I can confirm I had the same bug trying to temporally use the MPC VST as a multitimbral sampler plugin in Cubase.

Regardless of specific channel settings, the MPC software just sends any incoming note off message to ALL its internal channels. It's super annoying because it totally restricts what the MPC should (in theory) be able to do. Now your video confirms that this is also an issue in hardware mode.

So far, the only software workaround I have found is to transpose one of the conflicting MIDI parts one octave up in Cubase, then transpose it back one oct down on the assigned track in the MPC plugin. Alas, this sort of workaround becomes impossible as soon as a multitimbral project becomes more complex because the MIDI note-OFF messages are just flying around and piling-up all over the MIDI chromatic note range.

(I already sent my bug report about this back in December but I have no idea if anyone at Akai still pays attention to those)
By b0b89 Fri May 14, 2021 11:18 pm
Did anyone figure this out? I'm having this problem trying to use an OP-Z as a controller for the MPC.

Since I noticed it because my hi-hat happens to be the same note as a note I was trying to play in my bass line. Spent forever troubleshooting it and found the exact behavior seen in this video. Anyone find a way around this?
By b0b89 Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:01 am
Did anyone here get a chance to check if this problem still happens with the 2.10 update? I only have access to the software version for the next 2 days so I can't fully test it now.

I threw together a quick test and it seems the issue is resolved now.
By re201 Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:09 pm
Thanks for testing! I have access to my hardware today so I'll do the firmware update and try to do more testing (also with the VST version, which I sometimes use). It would be a game changer if they resolved that problem. The MPC would finally be properly multi-timbral!
By re201 Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:41 pm
I'm testing right now with Cubase and I'm afraid they haven't solved the problem with the VST version... that "MPC 64 - Midi in" port just spits out note off messages to all MIDI channels at once (even though the new MIDI monitor seems to recognize the respective channels for different notes).
By b0b89 Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:50 am
Yea my mistake. I hooked it up to a groovebox and tried to make the bug happen by playing a few of the same note at the same time on different channels and I dunno how I messed that I up but I must have because I just tried to do it tonight and yea same issue.

This is a huge bummer. The MPC will only ever be the brains of an operation it won't let you tell it what to do