MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By C5ICK Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:35 pm
Will someone please guide me towards the correct way to do this? There are so many different suggestions on YouTube but I still can't figure it out. I have viewed the Ast3rix Music, Tubedigga and NoiZReduction videos which were great videos and very informative, but show different workflows and instructions. I am also not interested in Ableton Live Control yet.

I usually make a beat in Standalone or in the MPC software but I would like to start utilizing Ableton Live for additional production, editing and mixing.

All I want to do is control Ableton using the pads and the transport buttons on the MPC X but I am struggling with setting up the preferences in both the MPC and Ableton. I know this isn't an Ableton forum but everyone is always so helpful here I thought I would try.
By C5ICK Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:20 pm
I was under the impression that Live Control was for controlling the session, launching clips and using the mixer. I am extremely new to Ableton (just got it 2 days ago) and didn't think it was for drum programming. Your question got me to set it up and it looks nice but I cannot get it the MPC X to trigger the Ableton drum sounds. What am I doing wrong?
By ACRE Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:35 pm
I only use the Ableton Control Mode for transport & to check my levels, sends, solo & mute.
Sometimes to launch clips but not much.
I always go back to an Mpc Midi Program to tweak my VST's, the Ableton Control Mode is not showing a lot of parameters for 3rd party plugins.
But, when i use the Live instruments, the Controller Mode is pretty cool.

I use the Controller Mode ... 20% of my process i'd say ...
When i use a Midi Program every time.
By ACRE Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:42 pm
NearTao wrote:Okay... so you're looking to use the MPC as a midi controller? If you hook it up over USB to your computer, and put it in standalone mode, Ableton *should* be able to see it.

it does work yes.

i use both usb & wifi so i can go from 1 mode to the other with no latency.
By C5ICK Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:59 pm
ACRE wrote:
NearTao wrote:Okay... so you're looking to use the MPC as a midi controller? If you hook it up over USB to your computer, and put it in standalone mode, Ableton *should* be able to see it.

it does work yes.

i use both usb & wifi so i can go from 1 mode to the other with no latency.

Thank you both. I have the MPC X hooked up to my Mac Mini via USB. I also have the wifi setup. How do I setup the preferences?

I currently have the first control surface as Akai Force MPC with the input and output as Akai Network DAW.

What do I need to do to get MPC pads to trigger the Ableton sounds? When I load up a drum program (in Ableton) I can hear the sounds when I click them with the mouse, but when I hit a pad nothing. I see lights though but that's it. I'm sure it's just a couple of settings.
By Bezo Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:13 am
I have a related question if you all don't mind.

With the sale on 10 & free upgrade to 11, I considered Ableton JUST because of the Link. I thought there would be more integration between the 2, but it appears it's all about controlling Ableton's Clips (and mixer).

I have very little experience with Ableton, only Lite to be specific. So maybe I'm missing something. Do Ableton and MPC sequences play together some how? I thought this combo would be a more efficient alternative to sketching on the Live, exporting sequences to Studio One and fleshing out tunes there.

Is Ableton Link only to control Ableton Clips and mixer, or am I overlooking aspects of the integration?
By NearTao Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:19 am
you can bounce between Ableton Link and Standalone mode... though I'll be honest, I've never done this, so not sure how it would work. From my playing around with it... Ableton Link is mostly about controlling Ableton Clips, Mixer, Sends, etc... I might have missed something... but it didn't feel like an instrument or Ableton Push replacement... maybe more of a nice feature, and it definitely sends much richer data between the MPC and Ableton than doing the same type of thing with a MIDI controller... but... I guess it didn't excite me enough to dive deep enough into it to give you a better answer.
By ACRE Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:59 am
Lampdog wrote:That UFX II is dreamy.

it is 1 one the most accurate converters i've heard in a sound card.
& i have tried a few.
i couldn't recommend enough those RME , it's solid, reliable, you can use it standalone, in a gig for instance, with no computer at all, like a real analog summing ... the flexible routing; after being surprised by the dynamic & the accuracy of the sound; is why i've been using RME & always will.
Trust me, it's 1 of the best manufacturer ... the only CONS is their website ... a nightmare to keep your sound card updated ...
That being said ... back to the Mpc X.

Bezo wrote:I considered Ableton JUST because of the Link

don't ... it is, by far, the function i use the less in Live.

Bezo wrote:but it appears it's all about controlling Ableton's Clips (and mixer).

i think it was more of a marketing approach than being a real new function.

Bezo wrote:So maybe I'm missing something

no, you don't actually, there's not much with this Ableton Control Mode.
the interface on the X is pretty dope as you can scroll trough your Live devices & tweak the parameters as long as it's a Live device, for 3rd party plugins, you must rack everything 1st, map & or macro the parameters & then everything appears on the X.
it's not big deal as we often rack things together in Live & map & macro parameters.

Bezo wrote:Do Ableton and MPC sequences play together some how?

yes indeed, in Live control mode, turn the wifi on both Live & X, on the same network of course.
here's a video for the setting :

Bezo wrote:Is Ableton Link only to control Ableton Clips and mixer, or am I overlooking aspects of the integration?

yes in a way, it's only to control, launch, tweak your devices chain in a rack, levels, sends etc etc but not much otherwise.

NearTao wrote:you can bounce between Ableton Link and Standalone mode

that's exactly how i use Live control mode, i stay in standalone mode on the X & switch between the 2 modes, no latency, you can Midi control Live & then , have a visual feedback of Live in the X.

NearTao wrote:but it didn't feel like an instrument or Ableton Push replacement

it is not a push at all ... far from it ;-)
for me , it is a cool add-on to the X but you can definitely live without it.

So now, Why i do like the Ableton Control Mode ?
1 : My computer screen stands on a desk a bit far from me.
2 : The Mpc X stands right in front of me.
so, the visual feedback of Live on the X is a real +.
i can also scroll trough the tracks much faster than usual.
i scroll trough the devices faster with the X.
& i also scroll trough the parameters pages even faster ...
so yeah, for me, Live control mode is quite necessary, not for a creation purpose, but more for the visual interaction of the 2.

By Bezo Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:02 pm
I'll have to look up what's involved with racking & mapping 3rd party instruments, but it already sounds like an extra step that will deter me. I'd only be using 3rd party instruments. I already don't like how tedious it is setting up multi-out instruments in Ableton.

I don't like keeping my computer online, which means I'd need an ethernet adapter. But would my computer be able to see my MPC's installed SSD over ethernet?

Ha! I've watched the vid before that you posted ACRE, but I must've missed him playing the sequence along with the Clips. Knowing I can play Ableton and MPC sequences together saves some appeal, but it looks like the transport controls are separate.
By ACRE Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:33 pm
Bezo wrote:but it looks like the transport controls are separate.

no, they're not, in perfect sync actually, either from the X or Live.
& 1 cool thing about using Ableton Control Mode :
On the X :
press PLAY - it starts from where you stopped.
press PLAY-START - it starts from the very beginning of the project.
In Live prefs : it's either 1 or the other, so now, we're sorted :smoker:
By ACRE Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:36 pm
Bezo wrote:But would my computer be able to see my MPC's installed SSD over ethernet?

yes, as long as you stay in standalone mode, no probs.
i have a samsung evo860 - 500Gb installed & it works just fine, both in wifi & or ethernet, it even works with both on.