MPC X, MPC Live & MPC One Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II & MPC One Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
User avatar
By Bezo Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:35 pm
ACRE wrote:
Bezo wrote:but it looks like the transport controls are separate.

no, they're not, in perfect sync actually, either from the X or Live.
& 1 cool thing about using Ableton Control Mode :
On the X :
press PLAY - it starts from where you stopped.
press PLAY-START - it starts from the very beginning of the project.
In Live prefs : it's either 1 or the other, so now, we're sorted :smoker:

What am I missing in the vid? He had the Clips playing, went back to the Main screen then started the sequence. Are you saying had he hit play or play/start while in Ableton control mode, the sequence would've also started?

And is there any way to link sequences to clips? For example, have sequence 1 play with clip 1, sequence 2 & clip 2, etc?



ACRE wrote:
Bezo wrote:But would my computer be able to see my MPC's installed SSD over ethernet?

yes, as long as you stay in standalone mode, no probs.
i have a samsung evo860 - 500Gb installed & it works just fine, both in wifi & or ethernet, it even works with both on.

Don't we need to be in Controller Mode to access the MPC's drive on the computer? Either way, it sounds like the ethernet connection provides the same access to the installed drive as a USB connection does. Good to know. Thanks!
User avatar
By Lampdog Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:25 pm
ACRE wrote:it is 1 one the most accurate converters i've heard in a sound card.
& i have tried a few.

AGREED! I’ve had UFX 1 since 2010. I “want” UFX II but don’t “need” it.
User avatar
By Bezo Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:40 am
I'm always slightly disappointed when I pass on a sale I'm remotely interested in even though I know it was the right decision. In the end, just too many unanswered questions, mainly because of how I use the MPC. But for a while, I'll wonder if I could've made this work more efficiently than my current workflow.
User avatar
By ACRE Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:19 pm
Don't we need to be in Controller Mode to access the MPC's drive on the computer?

There's a difference :
Controller Mode : your drives appears on your computer & you can use the MPC software & the X is now like the MPC studio.
Ableton control mode : the X in standalone mode - you control Ableton but still have access to your MPC in standalone mode, best of both world.

Are you saying had he hit play or play/start while in Ableton control mode, the sequence would've also started?

yes & no, what's cool about this Live control mode is that you can go back & forth from 1 mode to the other freely, you start & stop from 1 or the other, it's up to you.
You choose how you use your Mpc, it's free. Don't overthink it.

And is there any way to link sequences to clips? For example, have sequence 1 play with clip 1, sequence 2 & clip 2, etc?

yes but you need to set everything up 1st.
that's what i've shown on the pictures i've posted earlier.

The MPC X do anything & everything , you just have to program everything 1st & then it's the deepest machine.
I don't use the Controller mode anymore except for data transfer.
Since we have this Live control mode, i like to keep my Mpc X in standalone so i use the machine freely but in sync with Live, both Live & X talks to each others, freely, for me, it's the best of both worlds.
By 40Beatz Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:46 pm
ACRE wrote:There's a difference :
Controller Mode : your drives appears on your computer & you can use the MPC software & the X is now like the MPC studio.
Ableton control mode : the X in standalone mode - you control Ableton but still have access to your MPC in standalone mode, best of both world.


Not with the MPC One....
By 40Beatz Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:02 pm
Oh Snap My Bad :lol:
By Jon015 Mon May 03, 2021 11:44 am
Found this thread. Sorry to resurrect it, but how do you control your vst from the MPC using the pad perform mode? Not worked that out yet.

[/b]
ACRE wrote:
Lampdog wrote:That UFX II is dreamy.

it is 1 one the most accurate converters i've heard in a sound card.
& i have tried a few.
i couldn't recommend enough those RME , it's solid, reliable, you can use it standalone, in a gig for instance, with no computer at all, like a real analog summing ... the flexible routing; after being surprised by the dynamic & the accuracy of the sound; is why i've been using RME & always will.
Trust me, it's 1 of the best manufacturer ... the only CONS is their website ... a nightmare to keep your sound card updated ...
That being said ... back to the Mpc X.

Bezo wrote:I considered Ableton JUST because of the Link

don't ... it is, by far, the function i use the less in Live.

Bezo wrote:but it appears it's all about controlling Ableton's Clips (and mixer).

i think it was more of a marketing approach than being a real new function.

Bezo wrote:So maybe I'm missing something

no, you don't actually, there's not much with this Ableton Control Mode.
the interface on the X is pretty dope as you can scroll trough your Live devices & tweak the parameters as long as it's a Live device, for 3rd party plugins, you must rack everything 1st, map & or macro the parameters & then everything appears on the X.
it's not big deal as we often rack things together in Live & map & macro parameters.

Bezo wrote:Do Ableton and MPC sequences play together some how?

yes indeed, in Live control mode, turn the wifi on both Live & X, on the same network of course.
here's a video for the setting :


Lampdog wrote:Is Ableton Link only to control Ableton Clips and mixer, or am I overlooking aspects of the integration?

yes in a way, it's only to control, launch, tweak your devices chain in a rack, levels, sends etc etc but not much otherwise.

NearTao wrote:you can bounce between Ableton Link and Standalone mode

that's exactly how i use Live control mode, i stay in standalone mode on the X & switch between the 2 modes, no latency, you can Midi control Live & then , have a visual feedback of Live in the X.

NearTao wrote:but it didn't feel like an instrument or Ableton Push replacement

it is not a push at all ... far from it ;-)
for me , it is a cool add-on to the X but you can definitely live without it.

So now, Why i do like the Ableton Control Mode ?
1 : My computer screen stands on a desk a bit far from me.
2 : The Mpc X stands right in front of me.
so, the visual feedback of Live on the X is a real +.
i can also scroll trough the tracks much faster than usual.
i scroll trough the devices faster with the X.
& i also scroll trough the parameters pages even faster ...
so yeah, for me, Live control mode is quite necessary, not for a creation purpose, but more for the visual interaction of the 2.

Image

Image
By Prod Juice Thu May 06, 2021 5:23 pm
Hi folks,

I'm right now trying to get involved in the MPC X / Ableton Live set up. Please bare with me though as I'm a total novice.

On that video there he goes straight into Live Control on the MPC X menu without giving any instruction on how to set this up. I need to know how he got there. From the little you can see in the video, I don't see what cables are used. I only have the blue ethernet cable from X to Mac. What cables/connections are needed to use the X and Ableton in the manner it's being used in the video?

Thanks in advance for any advice, folks>
User avatar
By Monotremata Thu May 06, 2021 6:46 pm
Prod Juice wrote:Hi folks,

I'm right now trying to get involved in the MPC X / Ableton Live set up. Please bare with me though as I'm a total novice.

On that video there he goes straight into Live Control on the MPC X menu without giving any instruction on how to set this up. I need to know how he got there. From the little you can see in the video, I don't see what cables are used. I only have the blue ethernet cable from X to Mac. What cables/connections are needed to use the X and Ableton in the manner it's being used in the video?

Thanks in advance for any advice, folks>


The only real trick to it is making sure you're on the same network whether its ethernet or Wi-Fi. I think you still need to open the Akai Network MIDI app beforehand and make sure it recognizes your MPC, otherwise the virtual ports in Live wont have anything to send it to.

Its probably not going to work since you're on a Mac though. Should work in Catalina/Mojave and it DID work in Big Sur up until 11.2 or so. In Big Sur the app has no GUI anymore, but it still 'just worked' and I was able to sync with Logic using the Akai Network MIDI virtual port. After the 11.2 update something changed and now it doesnt work at all. Of course I just bought Live last month, so I havent been able to get Live Control mode to work once. Someone either here or at Gearslutz claimed it had nothing to do with the network MIDI app but thats BS, thats how the software assigns your MPC's IP address to both the Network DAW port (the one Live uses) and the Network MIDI port (the one you use with every other DAW for 'normal' stuff). So it wont work until they get off their asses and fix that (if they ever do).
By Prod Juice Thu May 06, 2021 7:09 pm
Monotremata wrote:
Prod Juice wrote:Hi folks,

I'm right now trying to get involved in the MPC X / Ableton Live set up. Please bare with me though as I'm a total novice.

On that video there he goes straight into Live Control on the MPC X menu without giving any instruction on how to set this up. I need to know how he got there. From the little you can see in the video, I don't see what cables are used. I only have the blue ethernet cable from X to Mac. What cables/connections are needed to use the X and Ableton in the manner it's being used in the video?

Thanks in advance for any advice, folks>


The only real trick to it is making sure you're on the same network whether its ethernet or Wi-Fi. I think you still need to open the Akai Network MIDI app beforehand and make sure it recognizes your MPC, otherwise the virtual ports in Live wont have anything to send it to.

Its probably not going to work since you're on a Mac though. Should work in Catalina/Mojave and it DID work in Big Sur up until 11.2 or so. In Big Sur the app has no GUI anymore, but it still 'just worked' and I was able to sync with Logic using the Akai Network MIDI virtual port. After the 11.2 update something changed and now it doesnt work at all. Of course I just bought Live last month, so I havent been able to get Live Control mode to work once. Someone either here or at Gearslutz claimed it had nothing to do with the network MIDI app but thats BS, thats how the software assigns your MPC's IP address to both the Network DAW port (the one Live uses) and the Network MIDI port (the one you use with every other DAW for 'normal' stuff). So it wont work until they get off their asses and fix that (if they ever do).


Wow...not good at all that we're now missing out on one of the main features of the new MPCs for something seemingly so simple (not for my skill level though).

Thanks for that, Monotremata.

Could someone tell me where can I download the Akai Professional Network MIDI Driver mentioned in the below video? I'm not seeing it on the site. I'm currently still running 2.7 on Catalina.