MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By ThinkerThunker Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:45 pm
It would work like this ....

- Press a pad and play in one note at a time with the MPC auto-advancing to the next step. Allowing you to add in rests, slides or even accents along the way. (Like a TB-303. But easier :)

- Or dial your sequence in note-by-note like the Beatstep Pro. Entering in Pitch, Gate, Velocity and possibly even midi controls, like cutoff and resonance adjustments.
By Beatless Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:58 am
Yes please !!!
MPCX has 16 Q-links which would work perfect with that ! I would like to see a Doepfer Dark Time style. Keystep/ Beatstep would be also very welcome.
Please, please please.

And then allow us to record audio in ext sync mode. I do not have other wishes dear santa :worthy:
By ace_of_dub Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:14 am
It's called step-rec/step-input on Roland devices and I agree. I don't know why it has not been implemented yet.

A lot of us aren't keyboardists or finger drummers and step-rec allows to quickly enter complete sequences in a easier and more interactive fashion than drawing notes on a screen.

Even my cheap Zoom Arq 96 does have step-rec.
By renegadebliss Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:39 am
MPC 4000's Q-Link Sequence was great for sequencing lot's of things other then notes... I used it all the time to liven up samples. I always used my Sequentix P3 w/ my 4000 and I do the same with my MPC Live II. They make a great combo, since the LIVE can handle different track lengths, and the 4k , track lengths were the same as the sequence.
By Tabletop Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:40 pm
Akai could learn a few steps (no pun intended) from the digitakt & op-z. The sequencer/effects input on the op-z is brilliant imo...
16 small sequencer buttons where the SPKR is would have been a real game changer!!
By EnochLight Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:12 pm
Akai has no presence in this forum. Would be great if you all submitted this feature request to Akai direct through your MPC Software, otherwise this’ll likely remain an echo chamber. I also agree proper step sequencing would be awesome.
By mr3rown Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:56 am
EnochLight wrote:Akai has no presence in this forum. Would be great if you all submitted this feature request to Akai direct through your MPC Software, otherwise this’ll likely remain an echo chamber. I also agree proper step sequencing would be awesome.

They don't data mine this site for ideas? Damn they are missing so many gems of ideas and features!

This feature was in the 2000 and up (owners of the versions before can correct me). I was so shocked when I got my Live and and this feature was replaced with two odd unintuitive versions. Felt like a huge step backwards.
By 40Beatz Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:43 pm
Probably because the Engineers who worked on the Legacy Units were cut from a Different Cloth. Akai's Newer Units were designed by a Team of Young Guys with a New Millennium Software Design Mentality.

They'll Get it together in Future Firmware....(Hopefully lol)
By littlejackal Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:50 pm
While not exactly the same thing, I’ll add that after a month and a half of owning my first MPC (an MPC One), the lack of something like this led me to buy a Polyend Tracker. I love the MPC for certain things, but unless I’m finger drumming or improving a beat, I am much more productive step sequencing.

I use the Tracker to trigger my MPC via MIDI and I’m really happy with the combination, but do wish it was possible to do something like this with just one unit, and not to mention it doubled my cost.
By DokBrown Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:21 pm
I luv my new MPC but I would not rec the MPC for step sequencing. I rarely even use quantize .

SEE PIONEER or KORG ELECTRIBE 2

https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-us/landing/toraiz-brand/

I can’t vouch for the unit, but I would guess ROLAND got it right since they started all this . . . . .

https://www.roland.com/us/products/mc-707/
By T-Monk Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:02 pm
Has anyone here tried the List Edit mode for step input?

Check page 241 of MPC 2.9.0 manual.

"Use the Auto-Advance on Step Record selector to turn the feature on or off. When set to On, pressing a pad when the track is record-armed will move the audio playhead forward by a length determined by the current Time Division setting in the TC/Timing Correct window. When set to Off, pressing a pad when the track is record-armed will not change the audio playhead position."

This should let you go into overdub mode and press single notes in succession to create a step sequence.
By 40Beatz Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:56 pm
Yes Indeed. List Edit, Using Overdub is the Closest Thing to Step Recording.