MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By T-Monk Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:30 pm
I figured it out! It's a bit of a pain to do this, but here goes:

- Load a demo audio file of the program, or make one by creating a performance using the program and export the mix down as an audio file.
- Assign the demo audio file to a program pad.
- Click Program Edit and go to the Samples tab.
- Turn on the Warp Mode, the Loop Forward Mode and the BPM Sync mode.
- Make sure the BPM listed here matches the BPM of the loop. If you do not know the BPM of the loop, slowly change the BPM field until the bars and beats ruler at the top (above the sample) match up to the correct length, for instance 2 bars. Keep in mind it may be an odd number like 75.36 BPM.
- Go to the MAIN screen and click on the program pencil icon (just above the solo button on the bottom right of the screen)
- Click Save Current Sample
- Save the sample to your SD card, then eject it from the MPC
- Load the SD card on a computer and rename the loop file with the same name as the program with the suffix .xpm.wav (or .xpm.mp3)
- Move the file to the [Previews] folder which contains the sibling program.
- Load it back into the MPC and you're done.

Good Luck!
By wavejockey Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:28 am
yeah, that's a good workflow when you sample in the MPC, but what about samples from outside, that you get from another source ?
-surely you don't have to sample those in firstly, to be able to audition them in (another) project tempo?

i do like the suggestion of @Ultros about the MAIN tempo settings ; seq or project - i don't think (the/this consequence) of this setting is documented in the AKAI manual
By T-Monk Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:50 pm
Yeah, there is some juggling of files with this workflow. But the workflow uses both a computer and an MPC, so it should be easy to load the audio file on an SD car, drop it in the MPC and re-export it with the appropriate metadata.

There is a bit of metadata embedded in the MPC exported audio file that does not exist in the original file. I wonder if there is a way to create a program to edit the wav files and add this chunk of data.

It looks like this:

±atem¢{
"value0": {
"defaultSlice": {
"Start": 0,
"End": 144491,
"LoopStart": 0,
"LoopMode": 1,
"PulsePosition": 0,
"LoopCrossfadeLength": 0,
"LoopCrossfadeType": 0
},
"numBars": 4,
"Num slices": 0
},
"value1": {
"value0": {
"note": 3,
"scale": 0
}
}
}smplVG^ìX<k4<k4meta"

Any coders out there???
By T-Monk Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:33 pm
Okay, I got it.

You need to edit the samples on the MPC stand-alone (might work on software) and make sure that the BPM is correct on the audio file. The MPC can “detect” the BPM, but many times it detects it 2X faster than it really is, so if you double tap the BPM, you can choose /2 to divide the BPM by 2. Or if you know the BPM, just put it in there.

I found it easiest to load all my preview files and assign them all to a program. Then manually adjust the BPM in the sample edit and save the program. This re-writes the audio files with the metadata embedded.

Then, you need to move those wav files into the [Preview] folder, and I’ve only been able to do that on my computer. Also, make sure to name them appropriately (Program Name.xpm.wav)

Now my previews are 100% correct.