MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By NewAkaiUser Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:10 am
YO!

I found a solution and partly the answer why Akai does not reply to emails on this issue (secret menu or shipping costs?).

The reason I have created a new topic is to make the solution easier to find.
I still don't know why I lost my serial number. To fix this I have tried everything from reinstalling iLok and various systems and computers. Nothing helps except that:

To solve the INVALID SERIAL NUMBER issue, it is necessary to go through the serialization process again.

Necessary things:
1. USB A to USB B cable
2. MIDI to MIDI cable
3. 2xTRS mono to 2xTRS mono cable
4. 2xTRS mono to 1x 3.5mm jack
5. FAT32 formatted SD card and USB stick
6. Ethernet cable with active DHCP
7. USB keyboard

Enter the diagnostic menu - hold down the Bank A + Play + Play / Start buttons and turn ON MPC.
Go through all diagnostic steps.
Finally, instead of the barcode scanner, use a USB keyboard to type in the serial number (same as in the bootloader section).
After clicking Program, you can turn off MPC with the OFF button.

Done :smoker:
By NewAkaiUser Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:20 am
During diagnostics in the Device section there are steps like:
-connect MIDI IN with MIDI OUT
-connect Rec L with Out R and Rec R with Out L
-connect headphones with back TRS outs
-connect ethernet cable with configured DHCP
-plug SD and USB stick
-or connect USB A with USB B together.
By Ultros Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:44 am
(sort of on / off topic) I was actually toying with the script today that initializes the network midi interface inside the mpc firmware it's tasked with populating the device id and starting two alsa virtual midi devices you can use from ethernet. The funny part is you dont have to be in controller mode to take advantage of the network midi features they actually show up in the settings and midi menus as virtual midi devices!

also i didnt know about that hot key combo to trigger the testapp, that's super useful i am gonna hook my software to that.

Whats with the jumpers on the midi ports? you doing some ghetto routing?

To anyone else who has this problem and has thekikgens SSH enabled firmware installed you can simply ssh into the machine and delete this file:

DCS_UserDefinedDeviceName.var

You'll find it in:
/var/lib/inMusic/xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/DCS_UserDefinedDeviceName.var

then execute this command and you're good to go it will init the network midi interfaces and recreate the DCS_UserDefinedDeviceName.var file.

sh /usr/bin/start-remote-midi.sh &
By theSuttyman Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:19 am
Having the same issue with mine. Emailed akai, but i bought second hand, so no response. Any idea on how to boot to Diagnostic on the X? The new manual is trash imo.
By dmoss Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:46 pm
Recently bought an MPC One with the same problem - updated to 2.10 and still a problem. If I leave the unit off and unplugged for a while it comes on fine. Seems to have the serial number problem if I leave it on and unattended for hours. When the problem occurs I don't seem to be able to boot to diagnostic mode.

Is anyone else still having this problem?
By Wavy Davy Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:35 pm
Thanks very much for posting this.
It worked for me….
But not until I had to try over, from the beginning, a few times.
I think of it like a game (or intelligence test).

Once you start the diagnostic process, you have to follow written instructions, without any mistakes, for each series of tests, that come up, on the screen.
Actions like, pushing all the buttons, turning knobs one way, then the other, plugging things in and out of every orifice.

Only a true believer, will be able to complete all the tasks, and be allowed to enter your serial number, including the parentheses at the beginning.

I was persistent, and was eventually rewarded with an information screen, that properly displays my MPC ONE serial number.

If you too, seek this quest, may good fortune be with you, fellow travelers.
By Riconglacius Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:05 pm
I gotta try something. I live in Singapore and no one answers e mails or calls at Akai. There are no service centers here.. I’m from the US and I have a Mpc x. I can’t sit here and not use a 2200$ dollar machine. Truly the worst customer service I’ve ever encountered for anything I’ve purchased and I still love their products.. I was just about to buy a live 2 but I’m afraid to over here with no support. I’m stuck and I gotta figure this out.
By Ex: John Doe Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:20 pm
Have the same issue with my MPC One. I've been through the test procedure and passed everything except I/O Test > Connect to DHCP server.

I've connected the MPC One to my router using the Ethernet cable my PC uses connect to the router and the internet. When not in diagnostic mode the MPC connects to the router/internet and an IP address, DNS etc is assigned, all that stuff.

Could anyone tell me what the MPC One actually needs to be connected to via ethernet?
By Elijah Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:52 pm
After connecting the Ethernet cable and booting normally, make sure the IP address is assigned to the MPC. After that, boot in diagnostic mode with the Ethernet cable still plugged in and it will pass the ethernet test.
By Ex: John Doe Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:13 pm
Elijah wrote:After connecting the Ethernet cable and booting normally, make sure the IP address is assigned to the MPC. After that, boot in diagnostic mode with the Ethernet cable still plugged in and it will pass the ethernet test.

Thanks for your reply. I've tried that a couple of times. Please see pic- these are my network settings. An IP Address is assigned, DNS and all those things. Ethernet is enabled/connected.

By Ex: John Doe Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:22 pm
NewAkaiUser wrote:
Ex: John Doe wrote:[]

Change the DNS address to a different one:

Sorry but I'm not up on Networking. Which number goes in which box?

So IP, Subnet, Gateway, DNS, in that order running down the screen.
By NewAkaiUser Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:33 pm
The default DNS assigned by the router in your case should be 192.168.0.1 (unless your network administrator decides otherwise).
But you can also use public DNS like DNS from Google 8.8.8.8 or Cloudflare 1.1.1.1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Public_DNS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1.1.1.1

Just choose manual settings and enter:
Ip address: 192.168.0.32
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Dns: 1.1.1.1

I don't know exactly why you need internet, but you can also connect an android and share internet from your phone via cable (USB tethering in phone settings).