MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Christov Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:46 pm
Hello everyone,

Since some months I'm working on a project with a bunch of rappers and they're the kinda guys who like to write and record on the spot. They asked me if I couleld bring my MPC and Microkorg to make some beats live, but considering I got all my cables hooked up that seemed to much of a hassle to be honest. Plus tracking it there seemed far from ideal. So I just ended up a lot of drinking beer while they did their thing. So far, so good.

But the idea of making beats on the spot appealed to me, a lot actually. MPC wise I started out about five years ago with a 1000 and I remember the fun of putting it in my backpack and taking it around with me and making beats on the spot. But tracking it out always was a hassle since it didnt mesh well with my DAW. When I could get a 2500 for cheap it was a no brainer. MTC plus 8 outs instead of 4 plus the fact I could mount my hd in it and open all my old files was great. Plus, since I became a dad some years ago going around working with rappers was something I didn't have the time or energy for.

But since the lockdown I've been making alot of beats, and it would be fun to be able to do it all in one small mpc on someones couch instead of having to sit ib my attick with all my gear. So when I found out about the MPC One I was intrigued and after reading some reviews and stuff it seems it would be a good fit for what I want, especially since it can render individual tracks which would save a lot of hassle.

However, coming from a older MPC I wonder how other people who made the switch over to the One feel about it and how steep the learning curve was for them? Are there functions you miss in the One or love from the One? How does the OS compare to JJOS? Does the touchscreen works well with the workflow?

It's not that I wanna get rid of my old 2500 at the moment, but if it works well who knows?

Basicly, I'm curious about everyone's experience switching over to the One! So all input and tips and tricks are welcome.
By NearTao Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:58 pm
I went from 1k -> MPC Live... so pretty similar

It's a quite easy transition, especially if you're not into the JJOS space. If you like JJ and dig some of the workflow changes... there are some things you are going to lose.

The biggest pros, exporting to stems and .als files is pretty slick... and gets you where you want without fiddling with the interface. There are a handful of bugs relating to track 1, especially on the .als export... but it's nothing you couldn't work around. So stems or .als files in my mind, is a clear win if you're planning on moving to the DAW. Related though... not a great way to get back from the DAW to your MPC... unless you use controller mode and use the software. You can totally do this... and can in some ways think of the software as an expansion or extension of your MPC... *but*... it's also not quite the same.

Other things... well the number, variety, and sheer amount of FX you can lay down will be welcome for sure. Going from just a handful of FX, to heck as many as you want... well not quite true... but you can really open up your creativity in the FX without the hassle of constant resampling.

Personally I never used that much memory anyways... so mostly 128mb was fine for me... but you can load up probably 5-10'ish times more content. Some will tell you it is spacious... others might say it is not enough... but coming from the 2.5k you'll find it just fine.

On the flip side... depending on how much sound design you do in the 2.5k... the sampling engine isn't quite as robust as the 2.5k especially with JJOS in the mix.

Anyway... I could go on... but I think it'll fit in with you just fine. It's a very similar workflow, and by and large the additions sit into what you likely have as existing workflows without too much change or hassle to how you are working.
By Lampdog Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:36 pm
No internal hdd w/ MPC One, use a large size SD Card instead.
No battery w/ MPC One.
Contents of MPC One SD card in FINDER or EXPLORER is not a feature.

MPC Live has these features.

MPC One pads are a lil bit smaller than traditional MPC pads but it's easy to get used to them, not a deal breaker at all. Feels like it would be, it's not.

By Ajax Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:26 pm
It actually sounds like you'd like the Live more than the One for what you're looking to do.

I haven't used a Live or a One. But, I went from a 2500 to an X. There is some learning curve there, just because the touch screen and OS have different functionalities. But, the fundamental MPC workflow building blocks are the same. So, IMO, if you know the 2500, you can get up to speed open any off the newer MPCs quickly and pretty easily.

and, as an aside, as a 2500 owner (I still have mine, but never use it), there is no comparison between it and the X. Its like a 2021 Maserati vs. a mid-90s Mustang. Sure, the Mustang is cool... but its not even in the same league.
By Lampdog Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:05 pm
Ajax wrote:It actually sounds like you'd like the Live more than the One for what you're looking to do.

I was thinking that SAME thing.
By Christov Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:30 am
Thanks for all the replies so far! Great forum. Always people willing to help and offer their input. Appreciated guys.

Good to know the fundamentals are still the same. JJOS I didnt delve in too deeply, but it came installed with my 1000 and 2500 (both the free versions) so it's all I know OS wise. But I never dit anything too exciting within my MPC apart from chopping samples, pitching them and then playing them in a sequence. That and 16 levels plus the swing and seq.edit stuff. Nothing too fancy. Dedicated song sequencing and more advanced sample editing I tend to do on my pc anyway. So from what I read in your replies I'll probably be fine after some getting used to it.

And good to know about the size of the pads, although I must say I never had much of a problem with the pads on the 1000 sizewise. They seem to be similar, but less wide on the One so I guess I'll be okay with that.

And about the One vs Live, I get what Lampdog and Ajax mean and I appreciated your input on that. I've also looked into it for some time, but the price difference is too steep for me considering what it offers. A internal HD is nice, but not really necessary for me when you can pop in a 512 gig sd card in a One. I can't see myself using the internal speakers that much and the same goes for the battery really. Portability for me is more a size thing and eady to pick up and move kinda thing than the ability to work without a powersocket of speakers nearby. Plus, the layout of the Live doesnt appeal to me as much as the interface of the One (the whole buttons and pads left - screen right thing seems kinda weird. The layout of the One makes more sense to me personally, coming from a 1000 and 2500.) But as I said, appreciate the input.
By Wholeness Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:39 pm
Christov. I had the MPC2500 for 15 years and switched to the MPC One last year. It's better on every level both in terms of workflow, effects, chopping and overall sound quality (especially if you're sampling from vinyl). It doesn't have a built in battery but unplugging is easy to transport it to sessions. There is not one thing better about the 2500 and there's nothing unique about it as a machine, so I'm about to sell it and just use the MPC One (and my old 2000XL because it has a unique sound that's hard to replicate with sampled drums). Hope that helps but you should make the move.
By Christov Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:19 pm
@Wholeness sounds good! In what way do vinylsamples sound better on the MPC One? I basicly just use my 2500 to resample my 950 at the moment, the 2500 sound isnt that interesting in itself.
By Lampdog Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:46 pm
You like more button control, don’t care about battery, don’t care about speakers, don’t care for the Live’s rubber powder coating, then One might be perfect for you.
By Wholeness Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:34 pm
Christov. I guess it must be the analogue to digital converters. When I moved from the 2000xl to the 2500 I always had an issue with the sound - it sounded shit by comparison. The MPC One seems to be back on track plus the onboard effects filters and EQs are on point to enhance further.
By Christov Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:07 pm
Wholeness wrote:Christov. I guess it must be the analogue to digital converters. When I moved from the 2000xl to the 2500 I always had an issue with the sound - it sounded **** by comparison. The MPC One seems to be back on track plus the onboard effects filters and EQs are on point to enhance further.

That's real good to know. Thanx man.
By Christov Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:11 pm
ontherun wrote:i just got a mpc one 2 weeks ago, still use my 2500 as a drum module for its outputs.
I really like the workflow on the mpc one, its mostly the same, just in colour and i love the onscreen keyboard to name my tracks...

Good to know you like the workflow. Thanx for the feedback.