MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Jd159 Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:56 pm
I second this query. Thinking of adding key61 as my ‘performance’ machine, and running background audio/midi out from my Live2. Anyone see an issue with that or know how to best set it up?
By hyena Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:04 pm
BogdanOctav wrote:How do you avoid the pads from one MPC triggering the other one's programs? I tried that simple setup with two MPCs and one MIDI cable, and the master MPC would constantly trigger the other one. Didn't find any other solution than putting a MIDI filter device in between. Is there another workaround?

and most of all go into preferences - MIDI and disable GLOBAL tab on all inputs.
By hyena Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:06 pm
Subaudio wrote:Hi all.

My first post here. May I add a question to this on the same lines?

I have an MPC one which is the centre of my DAWless rig. It's running midi sequencing to various synths & drum machines and also playing samples, mainly Foley.

I have a Roland MC 707 slaves to the MPC one which isn't capable of handling what I expected it to so need another sound source to do drums, bass and pads. Another, 2nd MPC one fits the bill perfectly.

The first response to the OP said a 2nd MPC would have issues with sampling.

I'd like to have my original MPC ONE do all the sequencing as it excels at this for me, and a 2nd to handle samples and plug in synths etc. For drums, bass and pads.
I do a lot of strings and busy arrangements of drums, Foley samples etc so my hope is to have the samples and plugins from a 2nd MPC one handle that while my original one does the sequencing.

Is this possible and how? It kind of hurts my brain to think of it :)

are you sure you need a second one? wouldn't adding an audio interface (or better, a mixer with audio interface capabilities such as soundcraft signature 12 mtk) to add more audio channels do the trick? or are you hitting the max cpu\max ram already on the first mpc one? or is just to keep things less busy in terms of tracks on one single unit? i'm asking this because i use the mpc live mk1 in pretty busy setups and never had issues of hitting the threshold of how much it can handle...
By Jd159 Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:14 am
@hyena can I ask what your setup is? I.e. do you think a live2 would be capable of handling 7-10 backing tracks, a keygroup, a VST, and 3 alternative mix-sends for different band-members at the same time?
By hyena Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:13 am
Jd159 wrote:@hyena can I ask what your setup is? I.e. do you think a live2 would be capable of handling 7-10 backing tracks, a keygroup, a VST, and 3 alternative mix-sends for different band-members at the same time?

yes of course.
i have a live mk1, all six outputs go to a mixer. i use midi out a to control an akai s950, daisychained to a looper (dittoX4 which receives the clock from the mpc) and to a midi cv-interface (pittsburgh midi3) on my eurorack, providing one midi channel of cv\gate and clock to the eurorack system. then i have the other midi out chain with a strymon big sky (not always connected via midi, only when i need to send it program change, cc etc...), sometimes an Axoloti platform, but most of all the midi in of a midi interface (one of the self contained ones, usb on one side, midi in & out on din on the other side) , the usb part of it goes into the expert sleepers fh-1 eurorack module, providing me up to 4 channels of cv\gate, or various combos of controls like individual triggers on individual outs if i want to trigger stuff, envelopes, one shots on the modular from mpc's individual pads, midi cc etc...

my project vary from very simple to very busy, a typical scenario involves 2 to 3 drum programs (1 drums, 1 chopped breaks, 1 percussions), at least 3 keygroups, 2 or 3 plugins. sometimes i use some audio tracks but i'm not used to use backing tracks at all. as of now i never used clip tracks as well. then the effects: i have individual effects on individual pads, multiple effects on drum programs (especially eq and compression\transient managing), less stuff on keygroups but it varies from time to time, up to 3 effects for each return channel, and typically i use 3 return channels, sometimes i use the 4th to create an high pass filter for the mother ducker sidechain input. i usually have 3 to 4 subgroups used, with other effects on them and depending on the project i can have stuff on the outputs as well. keep in mind most of the time i have wifi on and ableton link enabled via wifi, so i can record on the grid on ableton, in multitrack, my performances.

keep in mind that for live performances, even if i use , example, one chopped break program at a time, i have multiples of them in memory (up to 10) cause i use different ones in different parts\sequences of my live set. same for drum programs and keygroups. for my last liveset i almost used 2 full pages of the channel mixer, which means about 32 programs between drum and keygroups in memory.
the mpc's are pretty capable, i think most plugins (instruments and effects) are well optimized. this might not be the same for the new paid plugins, hence the "ligther" versions available (fabric vs fabric xl etc...)

keep in mind the cpu power and ram is the same across all product line except mpc key which has 2x ram, so mpc x , live mk1 & mk2 and one all have the same power. so you can try making a very huge project with a lot of tracks, programs, effects and plugins on your one. the cpu and ram load will be the same on every mpc except mpc key. so you can realize what the limitations are on these machines before making a decision.

last thing: i advice you to autosample the sh1t out of plugin instruments whenever you can, so you can free up some cpu. of course this can be done only when you want to use that plugin as a more or less static sound. i mean, if you want to tweak the synth live or automate a lot of parameters you have to keep it as plugin, but if you only use it as sound source, resample it with autosample and use it as a keygroup instead.
Last edited by hyena on Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Jd159 Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:46 am
Amazing, thank you for the extensive reply. I bought the Live2 with the intention of having it at the centre of a dawless setup so it’s good to know it can handle your project. I’ll hold off on the key61 for now then!
By jabberwalky Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:23 pm
Yeah, possible. That post was referring to sampling while it's playing (i.e. recording new samples in real-time), which doesn't sound like what you're doing. Just setup the MIDI in the master slave sync situation like stated, but I'd also suggest, on the slave MPC to also scroll to the bottom of MIDI/SYNC page and enable program change to SEQUENCE. That way your melodic sequences will always be tied to the drum sequences. Kinda depends how you approach it. Personally, I tend to just have them synced with midi, and change sequences manually.

Alternatively, you could just send midi notes to the slave MPC, with it's plugins loaded how you like, that way your songs are all contained within 1 unit, but the 2nd one is only being used as a sound module of sorts.