MPC X, MPC Live & MPC One Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II & MPC One Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
User avatar
By Ultros Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:00 pm
I don't know why we keep seeing these threads where people are asking for the original content. If people just logged into akais website and registered their MPC units they'd see that the factory content is available for download from the website which by the way is completely public, no ssl, no special obfuscation.


Also what's up with this "i wont help you" policy? It seems that akai doesnt *Want* to see dead units come back to them. Also, they left us a working serial coms uart port inside -not by mistake! Companies who charge $1000 per unit dont make mistakes like accidentally leaving the uart pins on the board and serialtty service left behind, let alone one that cascade 4 units on such a grand scale.

No one is gonna come at you redistributing factory BS content that anyone with an mpc already technically has or had lol. (other than forum mods, and some insane idea having users of the modern mpc) It's not like the free expansion and restoration images are precious. Its yours you paid for it, what matters is that you actually own a unit to make posessing the content legit.

The blanket statement for folks looking to fix their mpc from internal failure should be: "Register your mpc on akaipro.com and then download the factory content and firmware."

Simple as that dudes. It's not magic or top secret. Demo projects, are there too. They have literally supplied it all on WIDE OPEN PUBLIC LINKS none if which require SSL or authentication. Akai isnt stupid, they want you to be able to fix your own units.
User avatar
By MPC-Tutor Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:44 pm
I believe the issue is that deleting all the factory content off the internal factory disk is causing their MPC to become unstable. This was confirmed on ther Facebook hacking group a couple of years ago.

They want to restore that content back to the internal drive and the links in your Akaipro account do not do that. The Vault installer there will install the content into the MPC Software which you can then export to an external MPC disk. This will give them the missing content but I my understanding is that as it doesn't reside on the internal drive, it will not fix the instability.

No one is gonna come at you redistributing factory BS content that anyone with an mpc already technically has or had lol.


The Vault 2 is a commercial product sold separately by Akai (£79 I believe), with a clear EULA attached to it.
User avatar
By Ultros Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:22 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:I believe the issue is that deleting all the factory content off the internal factory disk is causing their MPC to become unstable. This was confirmed on ther Facebook hacking group a couple of years ago.

They want to restore that content back to the internal drive and the links in your Akaipro account do not do that. The Vault installer there will install the content into the MPC Software which you can then export to an external MPC disk. This will give them the missing content but I my understanding is that as it doesn't reside on the internal drive, it will not fix the instability.

No one is gonna come at you redistributing factory BS content that anyone with an mpc already technically has or had lol.


The Vault 2 is a commercial product sold separately by Akai (£79 I believe), with a clear EULA attached to it.


Fair enough, but lol an EULA isnt a legally binding contract of any sort. even if you click "agree" it means nothing because for something to be legal there has to be a signature validating the terms of agreement and two parties present.
User avatar

+1

By Lampdog Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:09 am
Monotremata wrote:I think you've been a little misinformed on the legality of an EULA..
User avatar
By Ultros Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:19 am
My bad, my intention wasnt to shop the idea of piracy by any means I'm sometimes really bad at articulating my thoughts then i get all roar roar when misinterpreted or interpreted correctly but i said what i wanted the wrong way. :smoker: always brings things back to zero. Thanks for tollerating me here.
User avatar
By Lampdog Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:42 am
We like this place right? We don’t want Tutor in legal trouble and so that has to go through legal channels ya dig.

What you do in private on other sites is on you. But if I see it here I’ll shut it down with extreme prejudice.
User avatar
By MPC-Tutor Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:32 am
When someone creates content, they own that content and they control how that content is exploited. Those rights are assumed under international copyright law and do not need an EULA to confirm them. An EULA is an opportunity for that content creator to give up some or all of those rights, e.g. perhaps make the content public domain, or creative commons etc, plus an opportunity to attempt to impose additional rights not given under copyright law (which may or may not be enforceable).

My reference to the EULA is that it clarifies that Akai have not given up any of their default rights to these factory expansions, which means we cannot distribute them on this forum.

But as per the O.P, if you just need the content it can be downloaded from your Akai account and installed to an external drive attached to your MPC.

Regarding the instability, I wonder if this can be solved simply by re-creating the missing folder structure on the internal drive (with no content inside). I guess it depends if the firmware is looking for a particular file or just expects certain folders to be present on the internal drive.

You can create new empty folders by going to the save project screen and hitting the 'new folder' icon (you don't actually have to save anything inside them). I'm sure we could get a list together of the required directory structures (I believe it might be different on the MPC One).
User avatar
By Ultros Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:08 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:You can create new empty folders by going to the save project screen and hitting the 'new folder' icon (you don't actually have to save anything inside them). I'm sure we could get a list together of the required directory structures (I believe it might be different on the MPC One).


I want to see this first hand, so i can get some scope on what issues arrise. I've never had my mpc mess up on me. i can ssh in later and drop a recursive list to text file. In the mpc one (i dont know about other units). The expansions and demos and user content have their own partiton, then there is also a "data" partition (az01-internal iirc) that holds all the machine configs (not visible from the browser) . corrupting this partition would indeed cripple it.

In theory it shouldnt cause users any trouble to shift + format the internal expansion directory from the browser but oddly people are indeed encountering issues. it doesn't really make sense as to why though. there's nothing vital to the operation of the MPC software on that partition. (az01-content)

Lampdog wrote:We like this place right? We don’t want Tutor in legal trouble and so that has to go through legal channels ya dig.

What you do in private on other sites is on you. But if I see it here I’ll shut it down with extreme prejudice.


No worries lampy, I wouldnt do that. I would fully expect you guys to have the site's longevity as priority #1. I agree with the sentiment of not giving things out because A: its not our problem and B: this isnt a official akai help forum its not our job to scrape content for folks who wont read or register. There are major benifits of registering!