MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Lampdog Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:20 pm
By kaydigi Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:36 pm
handthrow wrote:In short never update the OS (OSX especially) without checking if the most crucial software they use support it.
In general when using a MAC don't just update the OS. Apple likes to introduce breaking changes which can affect certain software to its core, so a lot of work is required to get it updated. I'm not defending AKAI - i have a hunch it's understaffed to cut cost by inmusic - it sucks and will most likely cause AKAI to fall off completely at some point.

TLDR hold off the update until you're sure the software will work. I use Serato for DJing and i kept my DJing laptop intentionally at Yosemite to make sure Serato works correctly, not to risk potential crashes due to changes intruduced by apple. With windows i think with the pro version you can disable auto updates. My other DJ laptop is intentionally running windows 8.1 not to risk anything with updates. With mission critical software it's sometimes necessery.

I know it's tempting to update, but be casious especially with apple.

If you buy a new machine you are stuck with Monterey or Mojoave, no way to downgrade. Those are the breaks I guess!!
By Monotremata Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:17 am
Im thinking they might try to push out the Intel's sooner then they did the PPC machines too. Monterey already has features that use the Neural engine in the M1, that won't be available for the Intel machines. You can bet as they learn to use that more, you'll start seeing more and more of the OS that just won't work on Intel's now. I still have a 2010 and 2006 Mac Pro, a dual core G5, two G4's, a blue and white G3, and I still have my Titanium Powerbook too "just in case". If I still had a SCSI card one of those G machines would be permanently connected to my sampler heh. The G3 was my OS9 Sound Diver machine, and the G5 was a killer machine for those 2000 era PPC OS X games but got no space to set em up anymore so they're in storage.
By Korzo Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:24 pm
From my point of view the MPC will be compatible with M1 when they release the 3.0 version, otherwise they could have fixed it months ago... I also guess that they will release the 3.0 version some weeks before thanks giving so they can push more sells.
By NearTao Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:56 pm
It's possible... it isn't clear to me if they own the audio interface/drivers or got something developed by a third party... so it's possible that they need somebody else to port the drivers.
By kaydigi Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:25 pm
NearTao wrote:It's possible... it isn't clear to me if they own the audio interface/drivers or got something developed by a third party... so it's possible that they need somebody else to port the drivers.

It certainly feels that way.

It’s bizarre that they advertise the MPC Software is compatible with Big Sur in their advertisements. Meanwhile you don’t have controller integration on that platform.
By handthrow Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:03 pm
kaydigi wrote:If you buy a new machine you are stuck with Monterey or Mojoave, no way to downgrade. Those are the breaks I guess!!

Right, true! That's a different case :/

You still can use the standalone (I personally run in standalone most of the time), but i get the need for controller mode with some specific plugins or to just export stems.

Let's hope AKAI/Inmusic pours a bit more resources into it.. and a bunch of bugs/UX issues :roll:
By 83dude Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:13 am
It‘s really annoying. Big Sur was announced in June 2020, beta came in July and it was released November 2020. Meanwhile, Akai couldn‘t provide an update in more than six months since release, almost a year since beta.

With Catalina it took them almost a year until they declared their old tech „Legacy“ and stopped providing drivers. This was preceded by a loooong „inactivity“ and lack of news and a long while of „currently not supported“. Those machines were 6/7 years old only, mind you, while I still got a driver update for a 20-year-old interface I own. :WTF:

I was very happy with my Ren and Studio, but was forced to switch because of all the bugs making it unusable (e.g. LCD not showing any semitone pitch offset correctly unless you switch pages). Got the Live mk2 last November and I love that machine even more. But the third machine rendered rather „useless“ in two years due to inactivity on Akai‘s side would push me far away from that company.

Understandable if consumers feel ripped off and/or ignored. Promises can‘t keep up to the real world.
By kaydigi Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:19 pm
I did end up picking a M1 Mac Pro for travel. First thing I did was install the MPC Software. The MPK and MPD works fine with the software out of the box.

Beatmaker 3 seems to be blocked, but iMaschine ,, impc 2pro seemed to be available. Will check other iOS plug ins later.

I will install Maschine 2 and test it with the Mk2 ( I don’t think it’s supported). I have a Komplete kontrol that does work though.
By charlieocali Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:24 pm
kaydigi wrote:I did end up picking a M1 Mac Pro for travel. First thing I did was install the MPC Software. The MPK and MPD works fine with the software out of the box.

Beatmaker 3 seems to be blocked, but iMaschine ,, impc 2pro seemed to be available. Will check other iOS plug ins later.

I will install Maschine 2 and test it with the Mk2 ( I don’t think it’s supported). I have a Komplete kontrol that does work though.

Which MPK are you using? My MPK61 is dead with my M1 MBP.
By Monotremata Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:52 pm
Well there is some hope with Monterey coming out.. The MPC stuff still functions exactly the same as it does in Big Sur (on an Intel at least). So maybe once they finally put out this Big Sur/M1 update everything should be ready for the next OS right around the corner and we won't have to wait another year behind.
By kaydigi Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:49 am
charlieocali wrote:
kaydigi wrote:I did end up picking a M1 Mac Pro for travel. First thing I did was install the MPC Software. The MPK and MPD works fine with the software out of the box.

Which MPK are you using? My MPK61 is dead with my M1 MBP.

MPK Mini. It doesn’t require drivers so it just works.