MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By tonycass Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:52 pm
Any Idea when I’ll be able to use my MPC one with a Mac? I love it in standalone but I’d like it to stand in as an audio / midi interface. The Software in controller mode would be great too.
By Tricky Gnosis Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:03 pm
It does actually work as a MIDI/audio interface on the M1. If you put it in controller mode the Mac will see the audio and MIDI interfaces and you can use them in your DAW etc.

What doesn’t work is the connection/integration with the MPC software.

Give it a try.
By Monotremata Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:01 pm
MOTU finally released all their Pro Audio drivers for Big Sur and the M1s yesterday. Maybe Akai wont be too far behind.
By tonycass Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:26 pm
Tricky Gnosis wrote:It does actually work as a MIDI/audio interface on the M1. If you put it in controller mode the Mac will see the audio and MIDI interfaces and you can use them in your DAW etc.

What doesn’t work is the connection/integration with the MPC software.

Give it a try.

Well thats good news.
By misterflibble Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:21 am
MOTU is usually right on the ball with this stuff, so if they only just released their drivers, it may be a little bit before everybody else catches up.
By Monotremata Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:00 pm
misterflibble wrote:MOTU is usually right on the ball with this stuff, so if they only just released their drivers, it may be a little bit before everybody else catches up.

They just released the drivers for the older USB interfaces like my 828x on Thursday and theyre already **** up hahaha. On my system the driver works, but I have to manually kextload it. Another guy on the MOTU Nation forums, it broke his Roland and UAD stuff, and unlike me, his won't let him just reinstall the Catalina driver over it and get back to work now. I wrote to MOTU yesterday, the guy was able to reproduce my issue right away (I guess they didn't actually test them?) and basically told me to use the Catalina driver until they fix it. I dont know what it is but Big Sur is just "off". I remember the VirtualBox team having trouble getting their extensions to load too during their Big Sur beta testing. It made no sense, every other install worked great, and then for no reason, some would just fail and not load the drivers, and it would take uninstalling/reinstalling/uninstalling/etc sometimes 3 or 4 times before it just worked.

And now in five months we get to worry about macOS Monterey! I still think they should've named it Fresno or Bakersfield, cause its starting to suck just like those CA cities hah.
By kaydigi Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:28 pm
This situation sucks. I actually like using the MPC software even with its short comings.

Monterey is right around the corner and I’m not holding out of hope for drivers for the standalones and the controllers.

While companies can’t talk about stuff that maybe coming without stock price ramifications etc….. but man say something.

Hold on guys , we are working on it……or simple sorry these devices are not supported on Big Sur and m1 for the foreseeable future.

I haven’t pulled the trigger on a M1 Mac yet, but I’m close to. I’ll just have to do everything in Logic, Ableton, and Maschine.

Windows 11 is right around the corner hopefully the Akai drivers don’t break on there also.
By Ultros Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:57 pm
kaydigi wrote:Windows 11 is right around the corner hopefully the Akai drivers don’t break on there also.

On the plus side windows is backward compatible. So theres a really good chance it will continue to work just fine lol. In all honesty, you're not benefiting from using a mac in any way when using all the components of the mpc like the soundcard, midi interface etc. You're then only using the cpu, ram and the display while all else is offloaded onto the MPC unit. Do yourself a favor. Bin the mac and just set up a windows machine.

A more worth-while mpc set up would be MPC software on windows with a motu card and a el-cheapo mpd or mpk. Completely throw the stand alone unit out of the set up because you're not utilizing it as a stand alone unit anyways. Big waste of $1000 or more.
By Monotremata Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:32 pm
kaydigi wrote:While companies can’t talk about stuff that maybe coming without stock price ramifications etc….. but man say something.

Hold on guys , we are working on it……or simple sorry these devices are not supported on Big Sur and m1 for the foreseeable future.

Its a bit more than just the stock stuff, its the customers really. You would be surprised at some people coming unhinged when they're expecting something and your release date slips. My work has had plenty of shit this year get pushed back, a monitor we were supposed to have out at the beginning of the year for the XBox/PS5 kids MIGHT finally be here in August, and the shipping is still 'at risk for change'. There's a couple of projector models that have now disappeared from our list too that were supposed to be here a few months back, now they're just 'Well get to those when we can'. People are still calling every day 'WHEN IS THIS GOING TO BE OUT ALREADY?'. Tell a customer something is expected to be here on a certain date/time, and the right ones lose their shit when it doesn't show up and they blame you and start talking shit on Twitter/Facebook/etc about how you failed to live up to their expectations, etc. Of course the dead silent route Akai chooses is probably worse, alot of new customers might not want to give you a second chance after getting the silent treatment for months on end, especially from your warranty service department.
By Lampdog Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:43 pm
People "loose their shit' too easily".
By Ultros Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:44 am
Lampdog wrote:People "loose their ****' too easily".

I am that guy. Just ask charlesrandolph lol. You dont want NONE OF THIS CHARLES! (lol i snapped at him once and it was the complete wrong poster haha).

I used to maintain a fairly popular project in the height of its success and during that time there were people who used my software yet hated my guts and would use it as a weapon against me lol. The same people you try to help out end up not recognizing or just not caring that you are putting your own time into stuff. Nothing worth doing is done in a day. It was never good enough despite my project being the most popular and successful one of the like. People are jerks.
By kaydigi Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:59 pm
Ultros wrote:
In all honesty, you're not benefiting from using a mac in any way when using all the components of the mpc like the soundcard, midi interface etc. You're then only using the cpu, ram and the display while all else is offloaded onto the MPC unit.

I mainly use the Renaissance with the MAC. I rarely use the Live in controller mode. Though I was getting ready to make the Live my main controller when Big Sur or M1 drivers came out since all the regular controllers seemly are no longer supported.

Ultros wrote:Do yourself a favor. Bin the mac and just set up a windows machine.

Already have a Windows PC in the same studio room with a MPC Touch connected to that one.

Ultros wrote:A more worth-while mpc set up would be MPC software on windows with a motu card and a el-cheapo mpd or mpk. Completely throw the stand alone unit out of the set up because you're not utilizing it as a stand alone unit anyways. Big waste of $1000 or more.

I have a standalone setup with the Live MK2, Akai Force and a cheap turntable. Hoping to add a Korg Wavestate to that one. The Live MK1 will go the Mac if Drivers ever come out.

I expect Windows 11 to crash my Touch. Every time windows 10 updates, it uninstalls the drivers.
By handthrow Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:01 pm
In short never update the OS (OSX especially) without checking if the most crucial software they use support it.
In general when using a MAC don't just update the OS. Apple likes to introduce breaking changes which can affect certain software to its core, so a lot of work is required to get it updated. I'm not defending AKAI - i have a hunch it's understaffed to cut cost by inmusic - it sucks and will most likely cause AKAI to fall off completely at some point.

TLDR hold off the update until you're sure the software will work. I use Serato for DJing and i kept my DJing laptop intentionally at Yosemite to make sure Serato works correctly, not to risk potential crashes due to changes intruduced by apple. With windows i think with the pro version you can disable auto updates. My other DJ laptop is intentionally running windows 8.1 not to risk anything with updates. With mission critical software it's sometimes necessery.

I know it's tempting to update, but be casious especially with apple.