MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By JesseJemz Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:59 am
Is it just me or does the MPC Live II have a problem with clicks and pops when chopping samples? I’ve loaded the same samples into Serato in Logic X to compare and I’m getting NO clicks or pops like the MPC Live II. Made sure my chops were at zero crossing but still a problem.
Really wanted to like this machine but I’m thinking about returning. Am I missing something? It is also a problem with a lot of bass samples I have.
By Lampdog Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:32 am
Pops/clicks at the beginning or end, use filt/env page.

Pops/clicks inside the sample, sample edit, zoom in, highlight the exact pop/click adjust gain on that exact spike, zoom back out, adjust start/end same as before.
By JesseJemz Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:58 pm
Ok, so I figured out its only doing it in the "Sample Edit" chop screen when playing the pad chops but when I switch to the "Main" screen where the chop program lives and play the pads there are no clicks/pops. I find that very strange but maybe its just something with the MPC Live software.
By Lampdog Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:11 pm
Sample Edit screen is the RAW sample, no processing except for what you see there on that page.

Once you leave that page, all the other functions in MPC apply and you'll hear that difference. I'm speaking about standalone and I've noticed the same thing on software in the rare instance I've used it. Every hardware sampler I've used does that. RAW sound in sample edit. Processed when you go back to main.
By EnochLight Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:17 pm
Lampdog wrote:Sample Edit screen is the RAW sample, no processing except for what you see there on that page.

Once you leave that page, all the other functions in MPC apply and you'll hear that difference. I'm speaking about standalone and I've noticed the same thing on software in the rare instance I've used it. Every hardware sampler I've used does that. RAW sound in sample edit. Processed when you go back to main.
By RedW6lf Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:16 pm
Could just be hardware limitations or the way samples are processed during playback. For example, sometimes when I have a smooth loop of chops going, pops and clicks happen seemingly random for some reason. Sometimes the loop sounds perfect, but then I’ll hear some clicks on certain chops at some random point while it replays itself. It could also be due to artifacts being introduced into the warping process (in my case at least, my chops are usually always warped).
By Lampdog Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:00 am
Warping is def a factor. Harder the warp the more likely you’ll have artifacts or unnaturalness.
By JesseJemz Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:54 am
Lampdog wrote:Sample Edit screen is the RAW sample, no processing except for what you see there on that page.

Got it, much appreciated. 3 weeks into demoing these new MPC’s and I’m thinking I’ll keep. Hated the software at first but actually like using it with the MPC hardware. Allows me to record my live instruments, utilize my UAD plugins, and VSt’s. Dope all in one system. Couldn’t ask for more.
By Kontaegis Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:06 am
So in the newest version of the software I'm having this problem with an 808 kick that triggers fine when I'm just playing around hitting pads but as soon as it's played back in a sequence any back to back instances of said sample the 2nd hit pops or is distorted. For the life of me I can't fix it and I know it's not a gain issue hopefully someone here has an idea what the issue is. By back to back using it in a 16th note just 2 hits. Thanks I'm advance bro's
By Monotremata Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:29 pm
Kontaegis wrote:So in the newest version of the software I'm having this problem with an 808 kick that triggers fine when I'm just playing around hitting pads but as soon as it's played back in a sequence any back to back instances of said sample the 2nd hit pops or is distorted. For the life of me I can't fix it and I know it's not a gain issue hopefully someone here has an idea what the issue is. By back to back using it in a 16th note just 2 hits. Thanks I'm advance bro's

Its a bug in 2.11, there's a ton of posts about it in the bug reports thread and elsewhere.