MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Terrico Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:44 pm
When sampling vinyl the manual and tutorials say to use input 1,2. My level meter does not not move while the record is playing until I change the setting to inputs 3,4.....(fyi. phono is selected and RCAs, and ground wire are connected)

Ive asked the question in the past but I still haven't been able to understand why I cannot get a signal with inputs 1,2 selected. Some one mentioned that it could be that I don't have the monitoring button engaged. I still haven't discovered what the monitoring button is as there is no mention of a monitoring button in the manual or tutorials that I could find.

Thanks for the help. if been trying to solve this issue for quite some time now
By EnochLight Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:03 am
Terrico wrote:When sampling vinyl the manual and tutorials say to use input 1,2. My level meter does not not move while the record is playing until I change the setting to inputs 3,4.....(fyi. phono is selected and RCAs, and ground wire are connected)

Ive asked the question in the past but I still haven't been able to understand why I cannot get a signal with inputs 1,2 selected. Some one mentioned that it could be that I don't have the monitoring button engaged. I still haven't discovered what the monitoring button is as there is no mention of a monitoring button in the manual or tutorials that I could find.

Thanks for the help. if been trying to solve this issue for quite some time now

Live or X? On the MPC X, inputs 1/2 are the XLR combo jacks. Inputs 3/4 are the RCA/TRS inputs. They're labeled on the machine. On the Live, they're not labeled on the back but the RCA/TRS jacks are 3/4. The Monitor button is explained in several areas of the 2.9 version of the manual. Under "Recording an Audio Track" it's on page 46. Also in detail on page 149 and a few others.
By Terrico Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:20 am
I do have the MPCX. thanks for clearing that up. All the tutorials we're using the live as the example.

Is there another way to control the signal coming in. My signal is very close to -3db and my 3/4 REC GAIN is all the way down. Very hot signal. .
By EnochLight Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:21 pm
Terrico wrote:I do have the MPCX. thanks for clearing that up. All the tutorials we're using the live as the example.

Is there another way to control the signal coming in. My signal is very close to -3db and my 3/4 REC GAIN is all the way down. Very hot signal. .

Your signal too hot? You said you're using the RCA inputs from your record player, so I take it you're using your record player's built-in amp? Or is it going through a mixer? Have you tried adjusting the 3/4 gain on the upper right of your MPC X? Have you tried switching your RCA/TRS switch on the back to "line" or "phono"? Is there an amp switch on your record player?
By DokBrown Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:57 pm
I find a used but solid mixer $60-200 will fix a lot of recording problems. Besides managing levels, A little bit of EQ/compression goes a long way
By Terrico Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:51 pm
my apologies for the late responses..... My turntable has a built in amp. The 3/4 REC GAIN is all the way down. the record volume is fine for now, I guess my question could have been if I do encounter a hot signal in future how could I decrease.
By EnochLight Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:13 am
Terrico wrote:my apologies for the late responses..... My turntable has a built in amp. The 3/4 REC GAIN is all the way down. the record volume is fine for now, I guess my question could have been if I do encounter a hot signal in future how could I decrease.

How did you achieve your acceptable volume level that you have now? I'm a little confused, sorry! :hmmm: If you've got your 3/4 gain all the way down, and you're still experiencing too hot of a signal, then your source isn't matched to your input. Can you turn the amp off on your record player? I've got an Audio Technica AT-LP120X, and I can set mine to either "line" or "phono" to match the appropriate input on my MPC.
By Terrico Sun May 02, 2021 3:52 pm
Just a miscommunication on my behalf. The level coming in is right where it should be. I just wanted to know how to deal with a situation if my gain was all the way down and my signal was too hot. thanks for the help
By EnochLight Mon May 03, 2021 12:15 am
Gotcha; no worries!