MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By theNovice Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:56 pm
Hi all! Sorry for the noob question. Long story short, I used to work on an MPC Ren on my mac. Ever since I bought my Live in October 2017, i've made beats using standalone.

I kinda want to try the software now and link my mpc live to my mac. I have 1.9.7 installed right now lol, but i don't want to lose any of my old beats made on the Ren.

Is there a way for me to install 2.0+ as a separate app instead of upgrading? Am I worrying too much?

Thanks! :worthy:
By MPC-Tutor Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:10 pm
It is possible to run 1.9 and 2.x simultaneously on a Mac. However, your old 1.9.7 beats should work fine in MPC 2, so unless you have a specific reason to still run 1.9.7, you can just go ahead and upgrade and run both MPCs with MPC 2

I'm not familiar with the current support for the MPC Ren (in terms of the driver), so might be worth checking that first, but I think that might be a Big Sur issue.
By theNovice Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:48 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:It is possible to run 1.9 and 2.x simultaneously on a Mac. However, your old 1.9.7 beats should work fine in MPC 2, so unless you have a specific reason to still run 1.9.7, you can just go ahead and upgrade and run both MPCs with MPC 2

I'm not familiar with the current support for the MPC Ren (in terms of the driver), so might be worth checking that first, but I think that might be a Big Sur issue.

Appreciate that!! I am still running Catalina. The only reason to have both was out of my anxiousness of something being incompatible or not loading up. I have beats I made on the Ren that were from the early OS. I just want to be cautious lol.
By MPC-Tutor Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:08 pm
If you do have issues you could just reinstall 1.9.7 (after uninstalling 2.x and rebooting). You could also use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your current boot disk to a separate drive, so you can quickly recover your entire system to a known 'good state' if need be.
By DokBrown Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:59 pm
All I can say is backup the files before you make the OS jump. Backwards compatibility problems can pop up in so many ways after an OS has major movements forward.